MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Paddle Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:10 pm
fmq75 wrote:I love that you can edit the graphics,first thing i‘ve done is to lower the brightness of all background images :mrgreen: Colors,values,knobs etc pop out more now.I don‘t know where AIRs obsession comes from, to make many things as bright as possible (i hate bassline and tube synth in this regard)

Hi, how do you do that ? :P
By jabberwalky Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:36 pm
fmq75 wrote:I love that you can edit the graphics,first thing i‘ve done is to lower the brightness of all background images :mrgreen: Colors,values,knobs etc pop out more now.I don‘t know where AIRs obsession comes from, to make many things as bright as possible (i hate bassline and tube synth in this regard)

Yeah, I have to do that too. The grey is pretty dumb. You can go into your external drive and in the OPx4 folder are plugin skins, all PNG files. Can be edited with any imaging software (but should prob back everything up first).

Messing with levels on main bg
By Rank31 Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:43 pm
Wow. Much better

jabberwalky wrote:

Yeah, I have to do that too. The grey is pretty dumb. You can go into your external drive and in the OPx4 folder are plugin skins, all PNG files. Can be edited with any imaging software (but should prob back everything up first).

Messing with levels on main bg
By Lampdog Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:34 pm
Because they reside on the MPC Key61’s inaccessible default drive. Understand that and move on.

For MPC X, this can happen tho.
By re201 Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:45 pm
Has anyone here been able to evaluate how CPU-efficient OPx-4 is?

I'm tempted to buy the plug-in because I always thought an FM synth inside the MPC would be a great idea but I wonder if it gets CPU-hungry, which could become a problem on large, multi-sequence live show projects.

In theory, basic DX-style FM synthesis should be super CPU-efficient because it's one of the oldest forms of digital synthesis, but it really depends on how AIR implemented the whole thing, etc. My only software points of comparison here are FM8 and Dexed, which are super lightweight on recent computers.
By bitermc Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:46 pm
Rank31 wrote:I didn't make tests but what I know is that compared to Hype or Solina I never saw a loading progression bar when loading OPx4 presets.

That must be because Hype and Solina rely on samples that take time to load, while OPx4 generates the sound directly.
By EnochLight Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:46 pm
re201 wrote:Has anyone here been able to evaluate how CPU-efficient OPx-4 is?

I can get a total of 8 instances of OPx-4 on my Live II in standalone. :wink:
By EnochLight Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:55 pm
jabberwalky wrote:2 pretty hastily made videos. Mainly just making a patch in real time.

Let's make a bass patch:

Let's make an ambient patch:

Hey man - nice job on the narrated tutorials! OPx-4 is probably my favorite standalone synth, so it's awesome to see video content from other users. Keep them coming! :worthy:
By fmq75 Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:39 pm
bitermc wrote:
Rank31 wrote:I didn't make tests but what I know is that compared to Hype or Solina I never saw a loading progression bar when loading OPx4 presets.

That must be because Hype and Solina rely on samples that take time to load, while OPx4 generates the sound directly.

That counts only for Hype sounds that use samples though.Many don‘t or they are so short,there is no loading bar

The OP4 FX section is a little weird or feels unfinished to me:

1.There is FX 1-3 and (2)global fx but i don‘t see the point why they are seperated and not just one fx block.You could think one section is for sends and the other for inserts but nope,it‘s totally mixed up.And since you can‘t route single operator or sample layer to fx 1-3 via submix (now THAT would be something) they are all“global“,aren‘t they?

I get though,that in the global sections are some fx that use more cpu but they could have put it in one fx block nonetheless.FX slot 1-3 as is and 4-5 for the cpu hogs etc.

Do i overlook something?

2.The yellow qlink rectangle is missing and so you never know what qlinks are active where and what they do unless you touch them etc.

3.switching between fx windows take noticeably longer than switching operator or envelopes,no matter how complex (or not i.e highpass filter) the fx is.For me it‘s on the edge of being annoying.

4.I don‘t like the reverbs,Air was never really stunning with reverbs but they‘ve better ones in their arsenal
By Big Tick Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:15 am
fmq75 wrote:
1.There is FX 1-3 and (2)global fx but i don‘t see the point why they are seperated and not just one fx block.You could think one section is for sends and the other for inserts but nope,it‘s totally mixed up.And since you can‘t route single operator or sample layer to fx 1-3 via submix (now THAT would be something) they are all“global“,aren‘t they?

Fx1 is for bus1 (after Flt1), Fx2 is for bus2 (after Fl2), Fx3 for bus3 (no filter). You can route individual operators and sample layer to the buses.

4.I don‘t like the reverbs,Air was never really stunning with reverbs but they‘ve better ones in their arsenal

Just don't use the opx4 ones and put a reverb as an insert fx on the track where you have opx4
By jabberwalky Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:29 am
EnochLight wrote:
Hey man - nice job on the narrated tutorials! OPx-4 is probably my favorite standalone synth, so it's awesome to see video content from other users. Keep them coming! :worthy:

Thanks Enoch! I'd like to do more, but now I need to buy it at full price! arghhh :Sigh:

Rank31 wrote:Hello,

did somebody tried to draw the sound architecture of this OPx4. It could be useful even though it should be done by Akai themselves.

The architecture is pretty much how Big Tick explained.

I was a bit confused by it at first because the graphic design is pretty poor. It sort of appears that the buses share filters & fx, but this isn't the case.