MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By LivePsy Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:36 pm
MPC Dave wrote:Is this not the guy we should be holding to account for all the bugs in the mpc firmware updates. and the fact that akai just keep adding more features without fixing existing bugs?

Coders aren't the problem. Pete has proved to be dedicated to the MPC platform. Its marketing that's the problem. The real power in business today is marketing. They want the money, they think a bug fix release only admits to previous faults, every update must bring new features because its about new sales and YT influencers crying with joy about the new features. Marketting doesn't care about the MPC, just the sales.
By MPC Dave Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:48 pm
I agree with what you are saying but this guy is up on stage taking all the credit for being in charge of the software part of mpc while its full of bugs. So instead of reporting all the bugs on here where akai may or may not visit if and when they feel like. We should send the problems to someone who can actually do something about them.
By Monotremata Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:50 pm
Sadly that is just about every damn company today too. Its all the business majors, the bean counters, just looking out for the bottom line. They dont even give a **** what the product is they're pushing as long as they can bring in a return for their investors and keep bringing it in.

Regardless of what Dave says in the video, he still answers to a guy in a suit that's probably never seen an MPC or even has a clue with a kick drum is. That guy in the suit just wants to see revenue anyway they can get it.
By Ultros Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:01 am
Monotremata wrote:Regardless of what Dave says in the video, he still answers to a guy in a suit that's probably never seen an MPC or even has a clue with a kick drum is. That guy in the suit just wants to see revenue anyway they can get it.

Jack O'Donnel, der fuhrer of inMusic. His name is the very first name in the credits screen.
By Drew Hamlett Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:51 am
I'm a software dev as my main job. A couple of things he's talked about so far. Maintaining a current version that makes your money while trying to do a rewrite on the side. He's probably talking about MPC 2 vs MPC 3. I've had to do this at my multiple jobs where you're just trying to get stuff out the door every so often to keep people happy while trying to keep pushing ahead on nextgen. It's very annoying especially when you're trying to backport functionality.
By KaoticShock Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:49 am
Monotremata wrote:
Ultros wrote:
Jack O'Donnel, der fuhrer of inMusic. His name is the very first name in the credits screen.

Roger Linn's got a nice opinion of him hahahaha.

WOW! :lol: :popcorn:

InMusic needs to send every penny of profit off the MPC Key 61 to Roger Linn ASAP. If there's hope for Oberheim, maybe there's hope for Roger Linn, too. R.I.P. Dave Smith.
By KaoticShock Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:50 am
Drew Hamlett wrote:I'm a software dev as my main job. A couple of things he's talked about so far. Maintaining a current version that makes your money while trying to do a rewrite on the side. He's probably talking about MPC 2 vs MPC 3. I've had to do this at my multiple jobs where you're just trying to get stuff out the door every so often to keep people happy while trying to keep pushing ahead on nextgen. It's very annoying especially when you're trying to backport functionality.

Interesting...... so MPC 3 will have 3X more bugs?
By hyena Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:57 am
Monotremata wrote:
Ultros wrote:

Roger Linn's got a nice opinion of him hahahaha.

thanks for this vid, Roger clearly is on another plane, not a **** green blooded greedy wall street mofo. one of us.

how can you not love this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VffgG-JWvF8
By misterflibble Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:07 pm
If you actually take the time to watch the video, you'll hear Pete talk about just how difficult it is to run automated testing across their platform.

He mentions at one point that when the build kicks off for MPC OS, it has to build for Windows, Mac OS, and a bunch of target hardware platforms all at once. Then they have to test it out, which required them to build a bunch of proprietary testing tools because their OS is custom.

I've been a software engineer for 20+ years, and I can tell you that none of this stuff is easy. Does it give Akai a free pass to ship buggy software? No. But it is important to understand just how difficult it is to do this kind of custom software and hardware development, especially across so many target platforms. And on top of all that, I can guarantee you that Pete has the beancounters breathing down his neck just like others have mentioned.

If anything, this video gave me a bit more empathy for the situation over at Akai as it relates to their MPC and Force software quality.