MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By HBIII Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:02 pm
Hi all, if I want to pitch a sample up and then warp or timestretch it is the only way to do this to pitch it up, then flatten the pads, then warp/timestretch?
By HBIII Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:42 pm
Yes, instead of warping it a lot I want to pitch it up 3 semitones and then warp that just a bit. I have been trying by going to program edit, but when I pitch it up there and then apply warp I think the MPC is then trying to pitch it and keep the original BPM or something instead. What exactly do you mean by apply SEMI to the layer?

By the way your MPC bible is a lifesaver, love it soooo much!
By 40Beatz Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:19 pm
I dont know if this is a proven method....

I like to Adjust the BPM in Prog Edit to the Project tempo. Then Warp it. Adjusting the Pitch in Program Edit will Pitch Shift the sample (in realtime), keeping the Speed of the Sample Locked. Then Play with the Stretch Percentage (speed) to get it locked in to the Beat

Vice Versa
By HBIII Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:58 am
40Beatz wrote:I dont know if this is a proven method....

I like to Adjust the BPM in Prog Edit to the Project tempo. Then Warp it. Adjusting the Pitch in Program Edit will Pitch Shift the sample (in realtime), keeping the Speed of the Sample Locked. Then Play with the Stretch Percentage (speed) to get it locked in to the Beat

Vice Versa

This seems to work OK! I was afraid there might be more artifacts with this method (since I have to warp it 18%) than by just flattening the pitched up sample and then warping it only 4%, but it sounds the same to me, so maybe pitching it up combined with the bigger warp cancels each other out in the end. It is easier to do your method too.

If anyone else has any other ideas/methods I would love to hear them!

I can also do it by processing the sample first with a timestretch and then with a pitch shift but then it does sound pretty terrible.