MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By pspsounds Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:59 pm
Thoughts on Fabric XL? Worth buying? Demo sounds pretty good, but 9 day trial can go by quick!
By Lampdog Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:19 pm
$249 is what I see unless I'm mistaken. It's a damn good plugin for sure. I'm not sure about $249 good though.
By cosmac-vip Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:49 pm
If a sufficient number of people is waiting out on Akai to lower the prices, it is bound to happen. The plugins have a lot ofmpotential. Then there will be good sounds on offer soon, many more people will buy and everybody wins.
By fmq75 Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:48 pm
Whats the difference between Fabric and Fabric XL? Both look identical,same interface/presets etc.Unless i overlook something…
By Lampdog Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 pm
Fabric is optimized to use less ram, smaller version.

You mean to tell me you can’t figure what “xl” most likely stands for?

By KaoticShock Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:19 am
Lampdog wrote:Fabric is optimized to use less ram, smaller version.

I feel ya Lampdog, but Akai's Marketing is pretty ambiguous, vague, and misleading at times. For Example, is Fabric 4 plugins or one? If it's only one, then how does the MPC Key 61 ship with 25 plugins?

Anyway, I love Fabric and Fabric XL so far. The interesting thing I found is that Fabric only uses about 12% of the Memory for one instance, Fabric XL used about 30%.

Also, I A/Bed a lot of the tone generators to my Roland MC-101, while most don't sound better, I thought there were a few presets that I actually preferred over the Roland sounds. (Specifically, the Brass, Acoustic Piano, and Strat Guitar sounds) Other than that, the coolest aspect of Fabric is the ability to layer 2 different tones with the percussive layer, definitely good for sound design. There are definitely some caveats though, like not being able to copy or duplicate an envelope shape from one layer to the other. (Not really a big deal for me, but understandable that there should be an easy way to do this). The 9 built-in FX are solid, AIR Flavor is a great addition and the Compressor is perfect for increasing levels, gain staging, and balance. Even though the actual sounds aren't that great, I'm very thankful for the 9 FX so that I don't run out of Insert FX slots or have to use Submixes, plus all of the parameters can be automated, which makes using Fabric more versatile than keygroups.

It ain't Omni, Sampletank, Nexus, or even Xpand!2, but for what it does its a solid plugin. I don't think is worth $250, but I got the bundle, so to each their own..........
By fmq75 Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:17 am
Lampdog wrote:Fabric is optimized to use less ram, smaller version.

To my excuse: there was a huge heatwave in my town the last days.Slow brain.I totally forgot that the mpc has a cpu/ram display as well :-D
By Lampdog Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:48 am
Heat/humidity wave here too. Yeah, clouds the thinking.
By Tangg617 Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:54 am
Fabric XL is amazing! Especially if you got a MPC Live 2, and are into Standalone. The one complaint I had about the Live 2, was it need more plug-in instruments. Yes, it cost $500 for all the new plug-ins but in my opinion, if you're using your MPC on the go, its a must! Making beats on the Macbook is cool, but being stuck using a laptop is wack to me. Bring on more updates & more plug-ins..
By TT_Lab Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:54 am
Tangg617 wrote:Fabric XL is amazing! Especially if you got a MPC Live 2, and are into Standalone. The one complaint I had about the Live 2, was it need more plug-in instruments. Yes, it cost $500 for all the new plug-ins but in my opinion, if you're using your MPC on the go, its a must! Making beats on the Macbook is cool, but being stuck using a laptop is wack to me. Bring on more updates & more plug-ins..

You are the 3rd firstposter that repeats the same mantra.
Too many Akai shills around lately :WTF:
By Lampdog Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:10 am
Bug fixes > updates/features.

OPx-4 (design beast) > Fabric xl (beast).
By Paddle Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:59 am
Fabrix xl is good, i use stage piano and i modified a patch, i save to favorite, but when i select the favorite patch it's only a copy of originial, my modification not here :hmmm: , i need to use the old interface for save and load a new patch :nod: :lol: it's the same for fabric xl ? i'm affraid yes..
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:21 am
Paddle wrote:Fabrix xl is good, i use stage piano and i modified a patch, i save to favorite, but when i select the favorite patch it's only a copy of originial, my modification not here :hmmm: , i need to use the old interface for save and load a new patch :nod: :lol: it's the same for fabric xl ? i'm affraid yes..

To confirm: are you referring to the 'Favorites' option in the Sound browser? After tweaking your plugin settings, are you saving it as a new user patch first, or are you just immediately saving it as a favorite?

I believe the 'favourites' option is just saving a reference to the preset name, it's not saving the actual settings within the preset. So unless you actually save your tweaks as a new user patch, this is likely to be working as intended, it's not a bug.

If you want to save and 'favorite' a modified preset, you first have to actually save it as a new user preset and then you can add a favourite 'shortcut' to it.
By Paddle Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:19 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Paddle wrote:Fabrix xl is good, i use stage piano and i modified a patch, i save to favorite, but when i select the favorite patch it's only a copy of originial, my modification not here :hmmm: , i need to use the old interface for save and load a new patch :nod: :lol: it's the same for fabric xl ? i'm affraid yes..

To confirm: are you referring to the 'Favorites' option in the Sound browser? After tweaking your plugin settings, are you saving it as a new user patch first, or are you just immediately saving it as a favorite?

I believe the 'favourites' option is just saving a reference to the preset name, it's not saving the actual settings within the preset. So unless you actually save your tweaks as a new user patch, this is likely to be working as intended, it's not a bug.

If you want to save and 'favorite' a modified preset, you first have to actually save it as a new user preset and then you can add a favourite 'shortcut' to it.

Hi Mpc Tutor, how to save it as a new user ? :wink:
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:50 am
You have to be in program edit for the plugin ('edit instrument' if you are in the sounds browser). There's a disk icon next to the preset name at the top of the screen. Just save it to the location is recommends automatically (the user plugin folder). It will now always appear under the 'User ' group in the list of preset categories for that plugin.