MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By 4Renzic Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:02 pm
So I’m using a factory expansion, drums that knock. So I play the melody on track 1 then go to another track to switch up the melody and now the melody on track one is cutting out but the new melody plays as it should. It’s like some kinda muting is going on! Same melody on both tracks just rearranged.

Anybody have this issue or know how to fix this? Was fine before 2.11 :hmmm:
By Lampdog Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:08 pm
PROGRAM EDIT
MASTER
check polyphony

..is the first thing I’m thinking.
By 4Renzic Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:19 pm
Lampdog wrote:PROGRAM EDIT
MASTER
check polyphony

..is the first thing I’m thinking.

Thanks Lamp!! Polyphony is on, velocity, one shot, mute group 3! I’m in standalone mode. It was fine before the update.
By Lampdog Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:50 pm
If the thing was working before, and is now not working using the exact same settings/parameters it could be a bug.
By Monotremata Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:27 am
I noticed some weird behavior like this after updating to 2.11 and now it seems to have followed me back to 2.10 somehow, and even happens when a track is muted.
I noticed in 2.11, if I have the same program on two different tracks, even when one is muted, the midi notes are still triggering the sampler/instrument and are messing with the original track. If its set to mono, it just cuts out the notes when they all play at once, just like it was unmuted. The midi data is somehow still triggering and going to the instrument and **** with the polyphony.

I downgraded back to 2.10 and just had it happen on a song I haven't touched in about 2-3 months that was working perfectly fine last time I opened it. There is one sequence in the song where I have a chopped up break playing, and I made another "draft" track using the same drum program, but only for a hi hat pattern. Could not for the life of me figure out why just this one sequence in the whole song the drums started cutting out, until I found that hi hat track way down in the list using the same program. And the track was MUTED, yet it was still triggering the program and cutting out my notes since its a mono kit. The minute I changed the track to a different program, or "NONE" it stopped affecting the main drum track.

That did NOT happen previously in 2.10 or I would have noticed it months ago the last time I worked on that track. Is there some weird cache or something to clear out after an update that you need some service mode or hidden key command to do? Did they screw up muting again?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:56 am
I believe someone on Reddit also reported a similar issue with muting across tracks, I will try to recreate this.

Monotremata wrote: Is there some weird cache or something to clear out after an update that you need some service mode or hidden key command to do? Did they screw up muting again?

You can try a PREFERENCES > RESET PREFERENCES, doubt it would fix this though. Are you seeing the same behaviour in controller mode?
By Monotremata Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:03 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I believe someone on Reddit also reported a similar issue with muting across tracks, I will try to recreate this.

Monotremata wrote: Is there some weird cache or something to clear out after an update that you need some service mode or hidden key command to do? Did they screw up muting again?

You can try a PREFERENCES > RESET PREFERENCES, doubt it would fix this though. Are you seeing the same behaviour in controller mode?

Should be fairly easy. Just make a track with a mono keygroup or drum program and throw some notes on the grid. Make a second track, with some more notes, put the same program on it, and then mute it. For some reason, the muted tracks are still triggering the program and since its mono, it chops up and cuts off the unmuted track. I've never noticed this before and I tend to have duplicate tracks here and there while Im trying things out, and I often use the same chopped up break on a separate track as hi hats or something. I first saw this on the project I started to play with 2.11 so I figured it was something left over from that, but the project I was working on yesterday I haven't touched in a few months so it was never opened in 2.11 at all.

The preferences I've trashed a bunch of times but now that you mention it, I think the last time I tried to go to 2.11, I flashed it, it still didn't work so I went right back to 2.10. Didn't clear my preferences but I figured since I went from 2.10 to 2.11 and back within like 10 minutes it should be ok haha.

I'll have to check out controller mode later today. I cant even remember the last time I opened the MPC software so I never use it. Only time the MPC ever goes into controller mode here is to back up the hard drive with Carbon Copy Cloner to the Mac. :lol:

EDIT: Something I just thought about. SoulvakiSpace has a new identity at GearSpace and was complaining about track mute being broken still so the other day I enabled instant track mute (which works beautifully again). I wonder if this might be causing it?? If I have this right, I THINK instant track mute keeps your MIDI notes triggering, which is how you get the 'instant' unmuting in the middle of an already triggered note, I wonder if that's doing it. I dont think I've ever had instant track mute on before and just left it the default, which may be why I never saw this. Still a little early here but once the misses is awake I'll fire this shit up and see if that makes it stop.

2nd Edit: Yep its **** instant track mute. Just opened up a project real quick, copied the drum track and muted one, the muted one was affecting the unmuted one and my drums came out going 'click click click click click'.. Turned off instant track mute, and it was 'back to normal'.