MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By T-Monk Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:13 pm
Hey all,

On a whim I tried loading my custom MPC Plugin Skins and component files on to my SD card, and THEY SHOW UP!

I'm on MPC One - 2.10 (ssh version), and I previously installed 2.11, but rolled back to 2.10, so perhaps something happened along the way, but feel free to try yourself.

Place the updated files in the "Synths" folder on your SD card along side with HYPE, SOLINA, etc. I downloaded the lot of them with Hakai a while ago, so left the file structure intact, but updated the image files, and modified the .json files a little too.

The structure will be:
    SD Card>Synths>AIR Music Technology - MPC - AIR Channel Strip>Plugin Skins (folder)
    SD Card>Synths>AIR Music Technology - MPC - AIR Channel Strip>Presets (folder)

You will need to copy each folder for each plugin/effect. I did them all, and it seems to work.

This also seems to be a way to sidestep the internal Presets as well! Since there is a Presets folder here, I was able to load my own presets in within these folders. We could organize them, erase some, etc. Nice.
By fmq75 Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:33 pm
Wasn‘t that possible before too (Hype,Solina,Odyssey,Mellotron and now all the new plugins except on Key61)? I‘m using an alternate skin for the Odyssey for a long time now.And just recently changed the background brightness of OP4 a little.

BUT i‘m interested in the other skins as well,where can i find them?

What i REALLY wish though would be to change skins for the drumsynth (it‘s ugly af) and bassline/tubesynth (need sunglasses for this 8) )

Their skins folder are not accessable but on a backup hd i recently found their skins folder and i have no idea where they came from.I just can‘t remember…
By zangetsu01 Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:47 pm
T-Monk wrote:Hey all,

On a whim I tried loading my custom MPC Plugin Skins and component files on to my SD card, and THEY SHOW UP!

I'm on MPC One - 2.10 (ssh version), and I previously installed 2.11, but rolled back to 2.10, so perhaps something happened along the way, but feel free to try yourself.

Place the updated files in the "Synths" folder on your SD card along side with HYPE, SOLINA, etc. I downloaded the lot of them with Hakai a while ago, so left the file structure intact, but updated the image files, and modified the .json files a little too.

The structure will be:
    SD Card>Synths>AIR Music Technology - MPC - AIR Channel Strip>Plugin Skins (folder)
    SD Card>Synths>AIR Music Technology - MPC - AIR Channel Strip>Presets (folder)

You will need to copy each folder for each plugin/effect. I did them all, and it seems to work.

This also seems to be a way to sidestep the internal Presets as well! Since there is a Presets folder here, I was able to load my own presets in within these folders. We could organize them, erase some, etc. Nice.

Did you forget to post the link?
By T-Monk Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 pm
The SSH firmware version is something kikgen did to allow global midi mapping and other hackery, but it basically made the it possible to look at the internal files on the MPC via ethernet connection to a computer, and you could write new files to the MPC. Thus you could overwrite the image files that were the background for the plugins, etc.

Read about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=210293
By T-Monk Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:12 pm
BonsaiPanda made some cool modded skins here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/131tyKG ... sp=sharing

I haven’t had success with Tubesynth loading the images from the SD though. I made a tb-303 inspired skin for Bassline and an Oberheim inspired skin for Tubesynth. Bassline seems to pull the skins from the SD card, so that is easy to update, and you could try the the effects skins from above.

PM me if you want the Bassline, a less flashy Hype, or Tubesynth skins. I’m still working on other skins (wow, the factory ones are bad), but Drumsynth and Electric don’t bother me too much.

And if anyone has made their own, I’m interested in getting those, if you’ll share them.
By fmq75 Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:05 pm
T-Monk wrote:BonsaiPanda made some cool modded skins here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/131tyKG ... sp=sharing

I haven’t had success with Tubesynth loading the images from the SD though. I made a tb-303 inspired skin for Bassline and an Oberheim inspired skin for Tubesynth. Bassline seems to pull the skins from the SD card, so that is easy to update, and you could try the the effects skins from above.

PM me if you want the Bassline, a less flashy Hype, or Tubesynth skins. I’m still working on other skins (wow, the factory ones are bad), but Drumsynth and Electric don’t bother me too much.

And if anyone has made their own, I’m interested in getting those, if you’ll share them.

Thanks, first i need to decide if i want to“hack“ the mpc or not.Do you think the stability will suffer?

2.11 has already enough problems on its own i guess :lol:

Tube synth with oberheim look sounds great to me :!:
By Wul Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:59 am
I wonder if the default .json file could be modified so as to custom skin . With the end result being an external synth showing up as a plugin.
By first creating a midi program customising the program edit pages to suit, then saving the program. ( this much I’ve already done ) . And then modifying images and .jsons accordingly.
By T-Monk Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:22 pm
Wul wrote:I wonder if the default .json file could be modified so as to custom skin .

Honestly, I'm more "circuit bending" this than hacking it. The .json files and coding are a bit out of my wheelhouse. I am able to edit images and replace knob files, and look for simple "html" type content to change in the .json files like text color, but was scratching my head this morning trying to get a knob to load properly for even the existing plugins.

That said, someone may have the know how, and I can imagine nothing cooler than if someone was able to make the MPC a true master controller that had slick plugin screens for tons of hardware midi gear.