MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By R_O_B_MUSIC Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:50 pm
I'm trying to figure out how to reference inside an MPC instead of Logic... or if I even should. I find that my creativity flows best when I produce and mix at the same time, and the switch to Logic to A/B just stops that for me. I produce mostly house music and I use the MPC in "standalone" (not as a controller). I can go into Logic via the interface to reference, but I find the sound is different after the interface... all of them. I learned to "print" to Logic from the MPC, and that's my preferred method. I'm just finding it hard to quickly A/B a track Im producing on the MPC as it requires printing each tweak. Any suggestions?
By 83dude Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:39 am
Have you tried using your MPC inside Logic as a plugin? That‘s what I‘d do, as long as you don‘t need MIDI or audio I/O in the MPC Software itself.
By EnochLight Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:47 pm
R_O_B_MUSIC wrote:I'm trying to figure out how to reference inside an MPC instead of Logic... or if I even should. I find that my creativity flows best when I produce and mix at the same time, and the switch to Logic to A/B just stops that for me. I produce mostly house music and I use the MPC in "standalone" (not as a controller). I can go into Logic via the interface to reference, but I find the sound is different after the interface... all of them. I learned to "print" to Logic from the MPC, and that's my preferred method. I'm just finding it hard to quickly A/B a track Im producing on the MPC as it requires printing each tweak. Any suggestions?

Just load your desired reference track onto an audio track in your MPC? :hmmm: I mean - that's the simplest way (if you want to be able to quickly jump between sections). Just be aware that in standalone mode, audio tracks are limited to 4 minutes 59 seconds in length.
By R_O_B_MUSIC Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:05 pm
EnochLight wrote:
R_O_B_MUSIC wrote:I'm trying to figure out how to reference inside an MPC instead of Logic... or if I even should. I find that my creativity flows best when I produce and mix at the same time, and the switch to Logic to A/B just stops that for me. I produce mostly house music and I use the MPC in "standalone" (not as a controller). I can go into Logic via the interface to reference, but I find the sound is different after the interface... all of them. I learned to "print" to Logic from the MPC, and that's my preferred method. I'm just finding it hard to quickly A/B a track Im producing on the MPC as it requires printing each tweak. Any suggestions?

Just load your desired reference track onto an audio track in your MPC? :hmmm: I mean - that's the simplest way (if you want to be able to quickly jump between sections). Just be aware that in standalone mode, audio tracks are limited to 4 minutes 59 seconds in length.

Yeah... the problem is the A/B switching... for me at least. No quick way to go back and forth quickly. Thats what Im trying figure out... haha... Im sure Im missing something.
By ShengTao Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:44 pm
Import reference material into an audio track..
Go to track view (double tap main)
Mute reference track for "A"
Solo reference track for "B"
Use pad shortcuts to navigate modes quickly-er to get to what you are editing.
Or run a line in from an external device/player with monitoring on and use play/pause buttons to A/B.
No straight forward way of doing exactly what you want.. but I think these are the only workarounds that would suffice in standalone.
By EnochLight Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:26 pm
R_O_B_MUSIC wrote:Yeah... the problem is the A/B switching... for me at least. No quick way to go back and forth quickly. Thats what Im trying figure out... haha... Im sure Im missing something.

Not a problem at all - just send your project sequences all to a submix, and your one audio track with the reference file into it's own submix, and then play mute/solo between the two to compare...
By R_O_B_MUSIC Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:18 pm
ShengTao wrote:Import reference material into an audio track..
Go to track view (double tap main)
Mute reference track for "A"
Solo reference track for "B"
Use pad shortcuts to navigate modes quickly-er to get to what you are editing.
Or run a line in from an external device/player with monitoring on and use play/pause buttons to A/B.
No straight forward way of doing exactly what you want.. but I think these are the only workarounds that would suffice in standalone.

Thank you.
By R_O_B_MUSIC Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:19 pm
EnochLight wrote:
R_O_B_MUSIC wrote:Yeah... the problem is the A/B switching... for me at least. No quick way to go back and forth quickly. Thats what Im trying figure out... haha... Im sure Im missing something.

Not a problem at all - just send your project sequences all to a submix, and your one audio track with the reference file into it's own submix, and then play mute/solo between the two to compare...

Trying now.... Thank you.