MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Parialated Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:20 am
Hear me out (AKAI MPC Dev's out there?!)
what if Akai makes a simple, sleak and cpu use reducing vst host, so when we connect our usb cable to connect to our laptop/pc (which normally have the mpc live software running and turn the mpc in controller mode) the mpc is able to go in stand alone mode, and use the laptop solely as a sound module / vst host so we can run stand alone but also use every vst you would want to use... the only catch is you eventually have to sample your midi/audio and perhaps turn it into clips. But it would be a game changer in my humble opinion.
you can technically do this by the way, but it requires a midi/audio device in between, to be connected to your pc with usb while also connected to the mpc with midi cables and audio cables...
I just want to be able to do it with the cable that we currently use to connect our device to laptop to go in controller mode
By Lampdog Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:25 am
Standalone means standalone.

Already has an audio interface in it.

Not the greatest, but it’s there.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:18 pm
So you want 'standalone' but connected to your computer via USB, exactly like controller mode, so that you can use VSTs with your MPC, just like you can in controller mode?

Why not use controller mode?

What is the advantage of being in standalone mode compared to controller mode? You are still 'tethered' to your computer in both scenarios, but with controller mode you at least get more CPU and memory, plus more submixes and a few other extras.
By EnochLight Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:22 pm
Parialated wrote:Hear me out (AKAI MPC Dev's out there?!)

Not to break your heart, but there are no Akai MPC devs here. No one from Akai at all, actually. This is just an enthusiast forum where fellow users share their tricks and tips and offer help when we can. :P
By MPC-Tutor Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:18 pm
bitermc wrote:You need a VST host application, like Carla. With that, you can load VSTs in your laptop and use it as another instrument in your chain.

But what is the point when you already have a host application, the MPC Software, which is already optimised to connect to your MPC via a single USB cable? The 'standalone MPC' part of the request seems completely unnecessary when you already have controller mode.
By bitermc Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:34 pm
Good point. I really don't know, I never used the MPC software.

I only run standalone mode on my MPC one, but sometimes I use a Linux laptop with Carla, attached directly to a keyboard as a sound module.
By Bigjohnson2inches Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:58 pm
Agree the current state of usb audio out is no good. To have to access the usb audio while in controller mode is not fun. I have everything plugged in a way I want it to.

I play standalone a lot ,If I need to sample from the internet , I have to stop my mpc save go to controller mode then start mpc software, or unplug my ins , reset my levels for the new sample.
If I can access usb audio in standalone it takes away those steps. :vomit:
By HouseWithoutMouse Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:50 pm
How about if you think that your PC is a turntable? Connect an audio cable from the PC to the MPC, press play on Youtube, record on the MPC and you're done. No? Do you need sound to go over USB to the MPC? Maybe I didn't understand what you're trying to do.
By Parialated Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:46 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:So you want 'standalone' but connected to your computer via USB, exactly like controller mode, so that you can use VSTs with your MPC, just like you can in controller mode?

Why not use controller mode?

What is the advantage of being in standalone mode compared to controller mode? You are still 'tethered' to your computer in both scenarios, but with controller mode you at least get more CPU and memory, plus more submixes and a few other extras.

Is everybody missing the point here?? load up 7 plugins in controller mode, use big kontakt plugins... unless you have a truelly high end laptop, solely used for music production, the shit clogs up, the cpu spikes, and the functionality within the software just isnt fun to work in. There are so many things that dont run smooth in software mode, buttons that somehow dont work, i seriously dont like making beats in the software since 2.0 , even the sound seems different/better in standalone... i want to share the workload, have the mpc do the sequencing and editing standalone, have the laptop to be able to use 3rd party plugins while maintaining the stand alone workflow, use the laptop solely as a sound module, i could use any slim vst host, but i wouldnt mind akai giving us a completely slimmed down compatible version just to easily host vst's without loading the whole software etc. And controller mode working in the software to me isnt fun, its ruins my workflow and it get finnicky and messing around with he mouse staring at a screen, its cool if you are a fruity loops producer, but i like to keep it hands on, and i dont want to be forced to have to buy and use another audio interface and extra midi cables like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KR9q5QdIBI but rather use the usb cable i already own
But i guess im just stupid and missing something or people dont get what im trying to say....also imagine you get more cpu if your laptop doesnt have to run the software, sampler and sequencer but just host vst's. In controller mode nothing of the workpower of the mpc is used, it is all reliant on the capabilities of the laptop....its called controller mode cause it basically functions as a controller, none of the function or power of the mpc gets utilized in controller mode , you could as well have bought a mpd32 for a quarter of the price of a mpc live and have the same functionality. I personally feel we went from stand alone with the traditional mpc's, to a advanced midi controller in combination with software with the mpc renaissance and mpc studio (which i loved until 2.0 software arrived) to a hybrid standalone and controller with the mpclive and mpc X and i feel this is the next step, whereas you dont have to upgrade the mpc with more cpu and ram etc if u can have the laptop doing all that workload, while working on the mpc itself, not on the laptop using the mpc as a controller... but i might not be explaining it too well in typed form.
I just want akai to make a simple vst host, that when you open a beat on your standalone mpc live or mpc x, that used 3rd party plugins the vst hosts knows what vst's u used and opens it and just send the midi data and auto data to the mpc, perhaps over multiple different midi channels. so you dont get huge files in your mpc, beside of the fact that standalone mpc does not run 3rd party plugins, they just recently started implementing their own vst's.... i want to open a song with 3rd party plugins in stand alone, while hooked up to the laptop so that the laptop takes care of loading all the plugins used, and just sends the midi data to my stand alone device, in controller mode the laptop does all the work, hosting, the sequencing, etc etc..... i think i need to draw it out, but im not gonna.... hopefully one dude reads this and understands what i means and sees the added benefit
Last edited by Parialated on Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
By kb420ps Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:08 am
If you don't want to use the software in controller mode, then you just need a good laptop computer and some software. I suggest Ableton Live. You can load whatever vst instruments you want in Ableton and assign them to different midi channels. You can then connect you MPC to your computer through wifi. That will allow it to connect the midi as well, or you can use a midi interface on your laptop and connect the midi through 5 pin. This will do exactly what you want.