MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Felixku Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:33 pm
Hi,
Maybe its because of the language that i dont understand the tread with the answers.
Can i use more than 8 tracks in a project with sounds of only eight Plugins ???
Or can i use only 8 tracks with 8 plugins ??
Does it mean a plugin is in my project a track with instrument ??

Thank you
By MPC-Tutor Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:01 pm
The limit is 8 unique 'plugin programs' in standalone. If you are not familiar with the MPC, a plugin program is the program type that holds all the information about a single plugin instance - i.e. the plugin type (e.g. tubesynth, Fabric etc), the patch settings (either a ready made patch or your own custom settings), and additional stuff like extra insert FX, Q-link settings and so on. It represents a unique plugin 'configuration'.

So you can have 8 unique plugin programs, and each program contains a set of unique settings. These could be built from 8 completely different plugins, or even 8 programs using the same plugin but each configured with different patches.

For example, program 001 could be a tubetynth 'lead' patch, program 2 could be a tubesynth 'pad' patch, program 3 could be a bassline bass patch, program 4 a fabric piano patch, program 5 a drumsynth multi patch. That's 5 unique plugin programs, so you have 3 left.

Or you could create 8 plugin programs all using the Hype plugin, where program 1 could be a hype bass patch, program 2 could be a hype pad patch, program 3 a hype lead patch etc.

A sequence has up to 128 tracks and each used track must be assigned a program. This can be a 'drum' kit program, a keygroup instrument, clip program, midi program, CV program or one of these plugin programs.

A single plugin program can be used on multiple tracks - so a program using a hype pad patch could be used on tracks 1 and 2, and would only count as 1 plugin program instance . However, this means tracks 1 and 2 would sound identical as they use the same plugin program. Each unique plugin patch needs its own unique program.

There are no limits with other program types. And the plugin limit doesn't apply in controller mode.
By TT_Lab Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:47 pm
To clarify a bit more, the limit is for plugin instruments not effects. You can load other sort of instruments beyond the 8 limit, such as keygroups, those are not plugins and also drum programs.
By Flow77 Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:10 pm
hello really for me it is THE limit of the mpc standalone. it's really a shame because it's an extra ordinary machine but that... it's really a shame and I didn't buy the latest pluginprogram pack because of this limitation.... really I hope that 'AKAI is working on it because it's really paradoxical to launch a keyboard (still more used for composition, so rather via program plugins)
By TT_Lab Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:00 am
First of all, MPCs never had plugins before (Maybe a synth in the 4000 or 5000), so to have even only 1 plugin is an extra to the original idea of an MPC. Doubt this is something they have to fix. I'm really tired of seeing people wanting an MPC that is not an MPc but a DAW. It was discussed in this forum in the past, that if Akai took this aproach to MPCs people will be wanting a DAW and that defeats the purpose of an MPC all together. I was quite exceptical about it, but now I see what purists saw back then when the softwaqre 2.0 and even before when the mixer started turning in what it is now instead in what it was in early versions with my beloved Ren and the first studio.
Please people stop.
By Telefunky Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:57 pm
MPC plus DAW included is close to quadrature of a circle... :?
It seems to work to a degree, though, with all the packs and extensions, tailored for instant success.
I‘ve started late with a 2nd hand silver Studio and tried all from Essentials 1.2 to MPC 2.8 and ended up with a 4000 instead of an MPC-X.
In Essentials 1.2 it was easy to ignore a few „new“ features, but the software went into a direction, that didn‘t make much sense with my existing 2 DAWs.

For mobile users that may look quite different.
But there is serious resource demand for plugins, in particular if you‘re after high quality stuff.
Imho the 8-limit is simply reasonable for the time being... it may change with hardware and/or software improvements anytime.
My personal rule of thumb: the more complex processing applied, the sooner you‘ll end in white noise land... :mrgreen:
By kja Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:39 pm
I really hope we don't get to a point where all we care about is what new plug ins are coming.. how depressing.
But the flip side is that is what will bring in steady cash between generations. It is a delicate balance, but they seem good at it.. lots of mpc specific features constantly.
By mpc_fan_2022 Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:40 pm
The problem isn't so much 8 plugins max but the impossibility to make any of these "plugins" respond to program change messages, internal or externals. As always, an half baked function implementation on the MPC series and no fix in years.
By Lampdog Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:38 pm
I remember when there were “no plugins” and I still made beats.