MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Kaffimusic Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:15 pm
I have seen some efforts in that already, usually with a powerbank for phones or other USB-powered devices. The major drawback of that is the voltage is way too low. The MPC works nevertheless, but in the long run it is likely to become damaged by this. Low voltage needs high currents to maintain power, which is measured in Watts. The MPC is supposed to be used with 19V, wich lowers the needed amount of current (Amps) drastically, compared to a powerbank. However what I show here, if you´d like to copy that, is at your own risk.
I made my MPC One independent from a PSU. Used a DC-DC converter for motorbikes/mopeds from chinese production. I guess it´s a switching converter that brings 12V up to 19V for the MPC, like the original PSU does. The device can deliver 8Amps max, more than sufficent. I made the wiring so that I could hook up a second instrument (with same specs for consumption) and also a second battery in parallel to double the amount of Ah. Currently there is a 5000mAh12V LiIon for RC modelflying hooked up. With that it can run for hours. Did not calculate nor try it to the end, but I already used it something around 1,5 hours and the battery was still pretty good at it (You can see by the voltage, those types slowly go down). Does not look so smooth yet (maybe I will print a housing) but works well. I like to sit on my bed or a couch and use as little cable as possible while playing around.
BTW, the Mininova is powered by the MPC via USB.
By BostonGreen Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:22 am
There are some very good, perfectly matched power banks for the MPC, you don't need all this messing about.

Search the group, power is not an issue.
By Kaffimusic Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:56 am
I have read some (surely not all) solutions, but in some way or another I did not like them, and so I decided to make my own.
This one delivers true 19V with sufficent amperage. I do not need to worry about batteries, I have lots of those, I can hook up even two of them the same time and I can also power another device (my Kurzweil PC4 for example) with that powersource, without burning the DC/DC converter and that for hours. Nothing gets hot and I always have control over the drain with a plugged in batterytester on the balancercable.
I also use that for a workstation-laptop, and that thing drains a LOT of juice - that is why those optional 8Amps draw are well cared for.
And the converter just cost me 19,-EUR. Everything else was already in my inverotry. The way it looks now is more or less a "try it" layout, I will make that look more streamline when I have the time and motivation.
By NewAkaiUser Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:39 pm
I once wanted to do something similar on 18650.
I have a mission for you :-D . Find a solution how to put the battery in and connect it to the MPC power socket inside. So that when you plug the power supply into the MPC, it continues to power the MPC and charge the battery and when you unplug the MPC, it switches to the battery without restarting :worthy: