MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jhobson Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:59 am
2.11.3 firmware on MPC Live 2
iPad Pro 10 OS 15.6

My internet search suggests I just have to go to bluetooth settings on both devices, enable bluetooth, and both devices should see each other... then you should try and connect from ipad.
I can't get past the first step - neither device can see the other.
My ipad can see my Andriod phone, so bluetooth at least works in some fashion.
MPC can't see anything, and nothing can see it.
On the ipad I try searching from the main settings, and searching bluetooth devices from a running Synth One app.
Is the Ipad 10 pro a 'compatible' device?
Any directions on how to debug would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jack
By tequilatram Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:55 pm
I have the original iPad 9.7 pro and was able to connect it via Bluetooth to the Live 2. When they first pair they will lose the connection, so you will need to hit connect again. If you iPad is not finding your Live when searching for devices, then your Live is not properly broadcasting. Maybe reset your Live to factory?
By EnochLight Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:15 pm
jhobson wrote:2.11.3 firmware on MPC Live 2
iPad Pro 10 OS 15.6

My internet search suggests I just have to go to bluetooth settings on both devices, enable bluetooth, and both devices should see each other... then you should try and connect from ipad.
I can't get past the first step - neither device can see the other.
My ipad can see my Andriod phone, so bluetooth at least works in some fashion.
MPC can't see anything, and nothing can see it.
On the ipad I try searching from the main settings, and searching bluetooth devices from a running Synth One app.
Is the Ipad 10 pro a 'compatible' device?
Any directions on how to debug would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jack

The only way you can “connect” an iPad to the MPC via Bluetooth is via Bluetooth-MIDI. In order to do so, you have to run a Bluetooth-MIDI utility app on the iPad while Bluetooth is on and they are within range. I use Korg’s free BLE-MIDI app from the iOS App Store, but there are others.

To recap, you don’t do this via your iOS device (or MPC) Bluetooth settings - though both should be on. You do it from a Bluetooth-MIDI app.
By Lampdog Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:53 pm
EnochLight wrote: I use Korg’s free BLE-MIDI app from the iOS App Store…...

I use the same korg app, zero problems getting ipad connected to mpc x.
By jhobson Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:38 pm
Well today, briefly, the MPC saw my phone... but not for long.
BLE-MIDI doesn't do the trick.
So factory reset is the only thing I got left... but that seems like a real bother!
By EnochLight Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:00 am
Sounds like you’ve got a hardware problem somewhere. What exactly are you trying to link on your iPad?
By jhobson Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:35 am
I now have ipad connected via midi cables as the workaround. lightning -> usb -> usbmidi converter. I have given up on Bluetooth.

The ipad has some cheapish apps for exploring different synthesis approaches. Synth One isn't bad at all considering it is free.
By tequilatram Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:14 pm
jhobson wrote:I now have ipad connected via midi cables as the workaround. lightning -> usb -> usbmidi converter. I have given up on Bluetooth.

The ipad has some cheapish apps for exploring different synthesis approaches. Synth One isn't bad at all considering it is free.

Honestly, I did the same thing after I got my camera kit.
By EnochLight Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:59 pm
jhobson wrote:I now have ipad connected via midi cables as the workaround. lightning -> usb -> usbmidi converter. I have given up on Bluetooth.

Seems like a good method for your use.

jhobson wrote:The ipad has some cheapish apps for exploring different synthesis approaches. Synth One isn't bad at all considering it is free.

So you were trying to link Synth One to your MPC using Bluetooth-MIDI? Did you want to trigger Synth One using your MPC pads and sequence MIDI via your MPC sequencer? Use Synth One as a sound module to sample? Just curious what you were trying to accomplish with Bluetooth-MIDI.
By EnochLight Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:07 pm
joegrant413 wrote:Glad I found this thread.

Just got my first MPC, and tried to do Bluetooth between my iPhone and the MPC. Worked briefly only once in a few attempts.

Let's see how it goes with the Korg app.

Thanks

What exactly are you trying to do via Bluetooth? Control iOS synths with your MPC pads and sequence them? :hmmm:
By Lampdog Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:19 pm
I can connect, drums - slight latency, pads and slow strings can get away with it and still rock out.
By joegrant413 Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:43 pm
I used the Bluetooth this morning to play my MPC synth from my guitar.

Guitar > Apogee Jam > Camera Connection Kit > iPad > MIDI Guitar 2 > Bluetooth > MPC.

Bluetooth works from my Ipad OK without Korg BLE. From my iPhone, still haven't had consistent success. But the iPad is the main thing.
By jhobson Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:34 am
My objective for bluetooth was to be able to trigger iPad synths from MPC. TBH I was surprised this was 'a thing' as I expected latency might get in the way... but just as a temporary solution, why not?

Bluetooth on my MPC is weird. It can't be right.
Some other things on my MPC are weird - like I got all the hype synth sounds twice, and they don't always switch in Sounds explorer mode.
I have lost a few programs - I'm sure I saved to the HD I put in... but can't find them. At one point, one of these showed in 'recent', but couldn't be opened. Then it disappeared. Then came back and could be opened.
So the idea of factory reset seems good... except I have loaded up a lot of stuff so a bother to restore.
But, I'm new to the MPC so difficult to know what is user error, and what is odd.

Ipad opens a whole world of powerful synths to explore for sound design, usually less than $20 each max, and usually enough to kill the immediate desire for another bit of hardware.