MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By NineSounds Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:54 pm
Hi new user here so bear with me please. No prior MPC experience although I do have some production experience (pro tools) etc.

MPC Live 2
Firmware: 2.11.1

So far I've tried resetting preferences.

I start the Mpc, load up a new project, go to the browser and I notice, when auditioning, that some of my factory and expansion (bass) samples are pitched up octaves like they have been corrupted. Even if I pitch them down octaves, under pad perform, I can't get them to sound right.

Second when I audition a (bass) instrument in the browser, load it, and press pad 1, it stutters and sounds detuned. When I go to main mode, select pad perform, hit pad 1 the sound doesn't sound like the auditioned sound at all. It doesn't stutter like before (as it did when I was in the browser) instead it is pitched up, although not as bad as if I select an individual sample. Now, if I go to the pad perform screen, I notice when I hit pad 1 that pad 13 also is highlighted and so it seems maybe multiple octaves are activated when I hit a pad? The pad perform screen shows chromatic highlighted, octave is 0 and "start on root note". When I select "notes" in this screen and hit pad 1 it is pitched up and sounds more like a synth piano lead as compared to a bass (as in the first paragraph).

Thanks in advance for your help.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:23 pm
Audition problem: press the AUDITION button and deselect WARP

The other problem just sounds like you need to adjust the octave to one suitable for a bass instrument. With CHROMATIC selected in pad perform, make sure bank A is selected and then adjust OCTAVE accordingly.

Octaves are shown on the pads in Green, but only the pressed pad will play
By NineSounds Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:45 pm
I appreciate the quick reply! You have solved the most pressing issues.

MPC-Tutor wrote:Audition problem: press the AUDITION button and deselect WARP

I failed to mention in my initial post that I had also checked to see if the Warp function was deselected and it is. The stuttering happens after I audition and after I load the instrument while still in the browser section. After I leave the browser and go to main mode, the stuttering stops.

MPC-Tutor wrote:The other problem just sounds like you need to adjust the octave to one suitable for a bass instrument. With CHROMATIC selected in pad perform, make sure bank A is selected and then adjust OCTAVE accordingly.

Thanks for this, selecting the various banks has solved the previous problem of the instrument being pitched up! Much appreciated and I'm glad that it was a simple fix.

MPC-Tutor wrote:Octaves are shown on the pads in Green, but only the pressed pad will play

Ok good to know!

It seems the problem I had with individual samples appearing pitched up was due to my haste in checking samples in the factory 808 selection. Some of those samples are actually pitched very high (E4 for example).

This now solves my concerns and I appreciate the advice.