MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MaScHiNeHeAd Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:11 pm
Evening all.
So here's the issue. I want to be able to use my MPC Live completely free of cables from across the room.
I'm looking at wireless guitar jacks, wondering if I could use 4 of them to output & input the audio to my interface. Not looking to use Bluetooth, cos 1) latency & 2) Can't do Bluetooth audio, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried this & what success they've had? Answers on a postcard please......
By Lampdog Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:20 pm
Anything wireless will have some delay.
By EnochLight Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:50 pm
MaScHiNeHeAd wrote:Evening all.
So here's the issue. I want to be able to use my MPC Live completely free of cables from across the room.
I'm looking at wireless guitar jacks, wondering if I could use 4 of them to output & input the audio to my interface. Not looking to use Bluetooth, cos 1) latency & 2) Can't do Bluetooth audio, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried this & what success they've had? Answers on a postcard please......

Wireless guitar jacks work great, and depending on the model, you'll have virtually no detectable latency (classics don't work by sending data as 1/0's, they work via UHF radio transmission in real time; newer systems are digital though but still have little to no detectable latency). They've been a staple for stage use and have been for decades. I say go for it! :nod: But... BUT.. most of those are mono. You might considering something like a Behringer X Air XR18 instead. It also has extremely low latency.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-mixer

As for sync, maybe try Ableton Link (if any of your other gear supports it), but that does require Wifi. Otherwise you're messing with wireless MIDI, which may or may not work for your use case.
By Lampdog Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:08 pm
Nah man, I be detecting shit, lol.
By EnochLight Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:18 pm
Lampdog wrote:Nah man, I be detecting shit, lol.

What wireless guitar system are you using? I jam with a Sennheiser EW 100 at my buddy's, but it's UHF. Literally no latency.
By MaScHiNeHeAd Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:31 pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.
EnochLight: I think the wireless jacks appeal more, as my studio is quite compact, so the XR18 is quite clunky for my usage. Lampdog: I hear what you're saying about latency, I'll defo check to make sure I get the lowest latency available.
By Lampdog Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:01 am
EnochLight wrote:
Lampdog wrote:Nah man, I be detecting shit, lol.

What wireless guitar system are you using? I jam with a Sennheiser EW 100 at my buddy's, but it's UHF. Literally no latency.

No guitar. I was half joking but still a lil serious, with drums, I can sense latency on every wireless thing I’ve tried in the past.
By Telefunky Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:29 am
With drums you‘ll always sense the mic distance... but VHF/UHF transmitters are plain analog and perform like cables (as far as time is concerned).
I had one of the 1st generation for a few bucks (just for curiosity), nice performance...
It was extremely expensive broadcast gear back then, with antennas longer than a cable to plug in a guitar :mrgreen: