MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Zack Zerox Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:31 am
Hi

I've got a mark1 Live, running the 2.11.3 firmware. I'm looking to install alternative firmware to open up the global MIDI controls, but it looks like I need network access to do that, and I can't get my Live to find any wifi network at all. When I go to the wifi pref page and turn it on - nothing happens.

Am I missing something obvious here? Is there another switch somewhere that I need to enable? Or is it just that (a) the MPC wifi is flakey or (b) there's something wrong with my unit? (I've had it for several years but never bothered looking into any network connection stuff, so I wouldn't have known anyway.)

If I can't get wifi working, then I'm guessing a USB/ethernet adapter might be the best bet? Any quirks I need to be aware of there, or will anything do? (I don't think the alt firmware need to remain connected to a network to function, just to load/update the controller configuration files.)

Thanks - I did post a Q about this on Gearspace but no replies, so I guess it might just be me/my unit.
By Zack Zerox Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:18 am
Thanks. I gave it another try, right next to the router and with the WPS link button pressed, but no luck (it's not picking up any other networks either, and usually there's a bunch of them). Must be a flaky unit/firmware. I'll grab a usb/ethernet adapter.
By hyena Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:22 pm
i had a similar issue: my wifi router\modem was switching each time between two different ghz bands, i then went into the admin page of the router and there was an option to split the two bands into two separate networks, i did it and now everything works fine, because my mpc only recognizes one of the two bands and connects with it. i connect to it my pc also so they always see each other and i can use ableton link to sync the mpc with the daw. don't know if this can be useful to you but maybe try to switch your wifi router to another frequency band, if available.
By Zack Zerox Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:33 pm
Yep, same here - mine's split to 2 and 5GHz anyway. I think my hardware/firmware must be shlocky or busted.
By Zack Zerox Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:20 am
kaydigi wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:I have two separate bands, doesn't help here. It's probably something really simple to fix though, but life's too short and I have ethernet working :)

I might be misremembering but didn’t a user open his/her unit up and had a loose cable in the module ?

That's interesting - certainly mine appears as if the wifi adapter is missing or otherwise totally unresponsive, as it's a complete rather than intermittent fault. Maybe it's not plugged in! Are there any how-tos out there (or here perhaps) on opening it up & taking a look?
By EnochLight Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:40 pm
Zack Zerox wrote:Hi

I've got a mark1 Live, running the 2.11.3 firmware. I'm looking to install alternative firmware to open up the global MIDI controls, but it looks like I need network access to do that, and I can't get my Live to find any wifi network at all. When I go to the wifi pref page and turn it on - nothing happens.

Am I missing something obvious here? Is there another switch somewhere that I need to enable? Or is it just that (a) the MPC wifi is flakey or (b) there's something wrong with my unit? (I've had it for several years but never bothered looking into any network connection stuff, so I wouldn't have known anyway.)

If I can't get wifi working, then I'm guessing a USB/ethernet adapter might be the best bet? Any quirks I need to be aware of there, or will anything do? (I don't think the alt firmware need to remain connected to a network to function, just to load/update the controller configuration files.)

Thanks - I did post a Q about this on Gearspace but no replies, so I guess it might just be me/my unit.

WiFi on both my first gen Live, now my Live II, and my Force are all rock solid and work fine (i'm about 25 feet away from my router/modem, and that's through a basement floor). Things to note: MPC/Force Wifi does not support WPS link, and it must be on a 2.4 Ghz network. When you turn on Wifi, does it look like it's searching for the network at all? Have you tried doing a system preferences reset?

It's possible you could just have a bum unit.