MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By EnochLight Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:10 pm
I dunno - I thought Benn's video was pretty honest and absolutely necessary if it draws attention to the things the firmware needs. Also, he's had an MPC for years (original Live as well as an MPC 5000). It's not like he's a noob. Dude did NOT deserve the weird ass crap that was flung at him. Some moron even suggested he was being racist. :WTF: :roll:

Anyway, Akai sent him a new Key 61 as they deemed his original defective. Looks like it fixed many of the issues, though not all. Be that as it may, the fact that his original was defective doesn't make his original experience any less legitimate. Here's his follow up video - pretty freak'n funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El96b0GoV8o

By Monotremata Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:41 pm
collargrip_cristian wrote:Nah I skipped it and just watched Ave Mcree's

He also doesn't pay a dime for his Akai products, you can bet he's going to kiss their ass in every possible way to save his free meal ticket. Wouldn't trust any video from an 'influencer' that gets their shit for free from the manufacturer, especially after having 3 years of 'hands on experience' with the new gen of MPC..
By Schnooker Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:51 am
I actually posted on the second vid he did concerning the 61, and it was taken down.. ..not by me!
I put it to him, why he would post a very negative video about the 61, when it was very apparent that many other fellow 'reviewers' had not near as many issues as he did - with the initial unit, which, to any normal thinking person, would immediately imply the unit was broken, but yet, he appears to purposely have overlooked this, in order to get the knives into the 61 as soon as he could.
I also put it to him, that after Akai had replaced the unit, and he now appeared to have a correctly functioning device, that he should take down the original video, and put a fresh one up instead, as to be fair to Akai, they recognized the keyboard was faulty, and they got a new one out to him promptly - my reply is now nowhere to be seen.

I am NOT Akai's biggest fan, but I do believe 'fair is fair', and I think they got a bit of a raw deal here.

For me personally, I was never a big fan of his to begin with, as I find him pretty arrogant (my feelings), but it's also obvious as hell now that he's keeping the original vid online as it's got tons of views, and I'm sure the follow-up vid will stay-putt as well, which only goes to reinforce my own views on the man; again, my opinion.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:09 am
I don't agree that the original video should be taken down, it was an accurate reflection of his experience at the time and should remain. He could add something to the description to point to the updated version. also, is there not a way to add an overlay link or similar on the video post production 'Click this link for the follow up video' etc? I see that all the time on youtube.

Not sure what else he can do? He posted about his bad experience, Akai sent him a new unit, he made a follow up to confirm that most of the issues were due to the original faulty unit. If he takes down the original video people will accuse him of being an Akai shill.
By Schnooker Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:58 pm
..but it was an accurate video of a faulty unit.
If you’re gonna review something, why review an item that’s broken?
I find it very hard to believe that he didn’t have (at the very least) an inkling that the machine wasn’t working as it was supposed to - even with the 61’s initial flaws - so send it back and do a proper review of a correct machine - why would you want to keep a video up about a machine that was broken; unless, it benefited you somehow..

The man’s entitled to say whatever he wants to, but you can’t help but think he’s not playing fair, when Akai promptly replaced the machine for a working unit, but he’s still determined to let the world know ‘what a piece of crap he received in the first place’.
By EnochLight Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:23 pm
How is he not "playing fair"? It was an accurate experience, and faulty unit aside - all of his other criticisms remain. Not to mention, as he stated in the notes of his first video - he reached out to Akai through the "normal channels" that all other consumers would use, and all he got was silence. It took a scathing video for them to address the issue.
By Liondre231 Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:29 pm
I like that he kept the first video and made a follow-up, I like how critical he was as well. What caught me by surprise though was the amount of backlash he received for the first video. I did watch his video about brand loyalty too, and that was a toxic example of how far people get overly attached, it is fair for people to compare devices and use that to recommend to new buyers. But like you can't be a diehard cheerleader to the point that anyone that says otherwise must be an outcast and silenced.

People need to chill and not fight so much over brands, like it is toxic. Even the backlash AKAI got for the plugins was crazy. At the end of the day everyone is unique and what one person likes is what the next person dislikes, everyone should be free to like and not like whatever.
By TT_Lab Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:34 am
And everyone should be free to express they opinions. If you don't want the backlash don't post on social media. Don't expose yourself. As he stated in his second video, is youtube, nothing personal. Should people chill? for sure. Will they? I don't think so.
By Lampdog Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:46 pm
TT_Lab wrote:And everyone should be free to express they opinions. If you don't want the backlash don't post on social media. Don't expose yourself.
By kja Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:00 pm
All the iridium screens fall off and the new op1 field batteries mostly don't work and fall out.. I just want to give you guys a heads up in case you might want one of these..
I might post a follow up message later if this changes.. compared to those the Akai is pretty ok.. just don't buy a Waldorf or a op1 field.