MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Cate Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:00 pm
Lampdog wrote:You don’t at least have Hype? Please don’t sleep on that free plugin. It's a beast of a synth.

Haven't tried Hype, but I'm intrigued and will definitely have a play around with it on your recommendation - thank you.
By Lampdog Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:32 pm
Yep.

Lots of my beats use Hype and I’’ve grown to love it alot.

I haven’t grown to love Fabric just yet.

Opx-4 RIGHT AWAY though. I saw the massive potential for all sorts of musical mischief.

This is all standalone MPC X and/or Keys61 experience for me. No computer.
By MAXTHEDOG Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:38 pm
Standalone always. It’s the reason I bought my L1 then X.
Since sold the L1.
I cannot abide the constant OS updating with computers - I have a MBP running Abe 9 but I just love hardware. I still have an EMU, Q rack , Supernova2 from the 90’s and a Eurorack modular.
Wish I’d discovered MPC’s years ago!
But I’m an old b*gger so there you go! :)
By collargrip_cristian Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:55 am
From 2018 until about 2 months ago I was strictly standalone, only using the pc for updates and the free expansions (that I never use) download. Now I actually fire up controller mode solely to expand my inputs to 22 and continue my exact same workflow. I don't even look at the pc screen. For some reason I thought I was like, REQUIRED to work in the software. Lol moral of the story is that I still use all my outboard effects, hardware synths, exact workflow-except in controller mode I have even more flexibility and don't have to even use the software really. I was so bent out of shape that the audio interface connection in standalone mode couldn't record properly, when the solution was staring me in the face the whole time.
By Yerbalist Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:44 pm
well depends what you expect, I expected only fun sequencing and producing raw sketches standalone in MPC One, but Im more and more convinced to start at least basic mixing there as well. The more I realise AIR plugins (dont forget its same as in ProTools!!!) are sounding great the more I dont want to multitrack to DAW so early. Its beautiful all in one piece hardware. Now lemme wait untill it start randomly crashing or I run out of ram again, I might change my mind soon hehe :fku:
By miketone Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:45 pm
collargrip_cristian wrote:I still use all my outboard effects, hardware synths, exact workflow-except in controller mode I have even more flexibility and don't have to even use the software really. I was so bent out of shape that the audio interface connection in standalone mode couldn't record properly, when the solution was staring me in the face the whole time.

Are you saying I can create in controller mode and send audio directly from MPC to outboard gear? I've been reading many "controller vs standalone" posts but haven't seen any comments on sound quality. I have an outboard Avalon that I'd love to run my Key 61 (+ outboard synths) through before tracking to Pro Tools. Should I stay in standalone mode for this or can controller mode support this? I feel like in controller mode I'd have to route audio from my PC / interface / 'ITB sounds' out to the Avalon and wonder if this is even worth doing? Would I lose quality vs MPC in standalone > audio out > Avalon > PT? Maybe I don't understand the controller mode enough yet but I hope my question makes sense.. any thoughts or suggestions? I love the idea of controller mode and ability to use 3rd party VST's while creating (Omnisphere etc), but if everything will end up in PT for mixing, I am kind of torn about how I should set up my workflow for the best sound..
By Lampdog Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:03 pm
Controller mode = MPC IS A brainless controller for the software. All your processing and workspace is handled by your computer.