MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By merman9393 Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:30 pm
So, which are y’all more comfortable using for when it matters ? Your MPC Standalone unit, or with your computer/laptop ?

I didn’t even realize my Live 2 came with the MPC app and plug-ins when I ordered it, but when registering I installed the works and played around with MPC and my Live 2 in controller mode. My particular 13 inch MacBook’s screen doesn’t work so well with MPC as it’s difficult to read labels etc. I’ve been considering an external monitor.

All in all, I’m way more comfortable using my Live 2 by itself. I’m really gonna miss them speakers when I begin using my Key 61.
By Lampdog Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:55 pm
MPC X in standalone for me.
Usb 3.0 powered hub going to X and other gear usb midi’d to that hub.
X can midi control all gear this way (moog subsequent 37, kronos, ipad).
I don’t use my pc to sequence, I prefer to do everything on hardware.
By merman9393 Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:08 pm
Lampdog wrote: I prefer to do everything on hardware.

Now that sounds like a very comfortable setup, one you can jump right on when you get an idea for a new tune.
By Lampdog Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 pm
S2400 is used by itself. I can learn it better if I’m ONLY relying on the one machine. I don’t give it enough attention so I’m not fluent in S2400.
By DJ_GodsOwn Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:01 am
I prefer using my MPC One in standalone mode. I finally learned how to install all my Akai Expansions from my computer onto the MPC One, then I have my Splice sounds and other 3rd party sounds I've bought so I'm good with all of that. You can mix and master everything in standalone to a more than great degree so it's really all you need. I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo hooked up for my mic and an Arturia Keystep plugged into the midi in port on the MPC One. I can make all types of music with my current setup. I just bought Fabric late last week and finished a beat with it yesterday. I'm a happy camper. I wish they'd fix the Splice Integration but I just copy my Splice library from my PC onto my 64GB USB Drive and go through the folders that way.
By mrmarbury Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:46 pm
I usually use my X in standalone mode. Way faster and way more focused. No hassle with a computer that constantly wants updates or other nonsense I try to avoid when being creative. I sometimes try to use it in controller mode. But I usually got lost in the MPC SW GUI. And also since I use loads of midi gear I have to plug my midi interface from the X to the PC and that changes the whole midi mapping and I have to remap everything manually which as just "awesome", not. Don't know why the MPC in controller mode can't just forward the midi interface to the SW as it is ... at least it does not work for me.
By EnochLight Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:58 pm
merman9393 wrote:So, which are y’all more comfortable using for when it matters ? Your MPC Standalone unit, or with your computer/laptop ?

The whole point of the MPC is to be a standalone production machine and get away from your computer, IMHO. That's why I bought mine, anyway. Being able to connect to a computer in Controller Mode is just icing on the cake. But to answer your question, I'm personally more comfortable in standalone. I find computers distracting, and I'm always tempted to just jump into my DAW (which is infinitely more powerful than any new or old MPC) or **** around on the Internet. YMMV... :nod: :popcorn:
By kaydigi Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:05 pm
Live stand-alone for basic skeleton beat making. Screen is not big enough for my large hands, grid editing is a pain for me.

Ren or Live controller mode afterwards… using a mouse for fine tuning things.

If the X ever gets a price drop , I would probably get that and use it standalone to replace everything I have. I found some used ones around $1400.
By Komatos Records Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:18 pm
Standalone for me and my X. The only time I use Controller mode is to copy over new expansions from my Mac to my X's internal SSD using the Expansions/Export feature. I'm a tactile type of person, and don't really use audio software on a computer other than for recording the final stereo mix to Audacity and saving as a .WAV/.AIF.
By Lampdog Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:40 pm
Komatos Records wrote:Standalone for me and my X. The only time I use Controller mode is to copy over new expansions from my Mac to my X's internal SSD using the Expansions/Export feature. I'm a tactile type of person, and don't really use audio software on a computer other than for recording the final stereo mix to Audacity and saving as a .WAV/.AIF.

ALL OF THIS!
By Bezo Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:16 pm
The 1st several months, all controller mode. I tried to replace my DAW with the MPC software. It wasn't up for the job.

On rare occasions I start standalone, but that's happening less and less as time goes on. I now almost always start with the plugin in my DAW. It saves me time rerouting tracks to individual outs. My computer doesn't get in my way and rely too heavily on virtual instruments to be standalone only.
By Cate Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:15 am
Standalone all the way for me, on my MPC One. I haven't bothered to download the apps and various stuff that was included, as I'm just not interested. The reason I didn't buy the One sooner is because I thought that MPCs were all glorified controllers these days, but I was happy to be proven wrong. I love this thing.
By chameleoned Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:09 am
Mpc Live standalone for all writing and sequencing but Export stems via usb to Reaper to mix.

I also backup the entire mpc hd to the pc every few months.
By Lampdog Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:56 am
Cate wrote:I haven't bothered to download the apps and various stuff that was included…...

You don’t at least have Hype? Please don’t sleep on that free plugin. It's a beast of a synth.