MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Wul Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:23 am
Has anyone autosampled any of the stage piano’s .?
I just done it with
a. 1 velocity layer
B 4 velocity layers
Both with 6 note stride, C-2 to C6
The results are absolutely nothing like the original .
It’s a piano for sure but not the one I sampled.
By Straker Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:28 am
You will never get a good result with 6 stride.
If you want to autosample an acoustic sound, you should put the lowest stride possible.
Otherwise you have an autosampled note every 6, and so the other 5 are fake and will sound artificial.
By Wul Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:07 pm
Straker wrote:You will never get a good result with 6 stride.
If you want to autosample an acoustic sound, you should put the lowest stride possible.
Otherwise you have an autosampled note every 6, and so the other 5 are fake and will sound artificial.

Yea, but that’s not causing the difference I’m getting . I’ve done loads of other auto samples some at 12 stride, and they sound more like the originals than these do.
By Straker Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:46 pm
Wul wrote:
Straker wrote:You will never get a good result with 6 stride.

Yea, but that’s not causing the difference I’m getting . I’ve done loads of other auto samples some at 12 stride, and they sound more like the originals than these do.

Uhm a piano with stride at 6 will never sound natural.
I also autosampled at 6 or 12 but that works for synth sounds.
The Piano plugin is built sampling note by note, that's why it sounds natural.
If you use a stride of 6, you sample a note and 5 notes are built artificially by Mpc, stretching the notes.
It will never get good results with a Piano, EP, mallets and so on.
You should try with a stride of 1 or max 2 and 4 layers to get some decent result.
And decay should be long to get the sustain of the piano keys.
By Wul Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:12 pm
Problem appears to be that I was recording one layer at 127 velocity , much better when recorded at 64 .
Yes I know it will sound better at a stride of 1 with 4 layers of velocity , But through my well shot ears……..fraid not.
By Straker Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:36 pm
Wul wrote:Problem appears to be that I was recording one layer at 127 velocity , much better when recorded at 64 .
Yes I know it will sound better at a stride of 1 with 4 layers of velocity , But through my well shot ears……..fraid not.

Autosampling some EP from a Roland box, I found that a stride of 3 works quite good, it's not perfect but useable.
Mind also you have a very good piano sampled on Hype, good for single notes, if you take off all effects from the Hype preset. I think is the same sample of Piano plugin.
By EnochLight Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:10 pm
Wul wrote:Problem appears to be that I was recording one layer at 127 velocity , much better when recorded at 64 .

Yeah, I've accidentally done the one layer at 127 velocity by accident a few times - you're not alone! :lol: But that stride - if it works for your ears, then you're good. A note stride of 1 (or even 2) with sustained keys and multiple layers may result in a massive RAM-using Keygroup anyway. Is there a reason why you're autosampling the Stage Piano if you have the plugin already?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:41 pm
EnochLight wrote: Is there a reason why you're autosampling the Stage Piano if you have the plugin already?

Autosample the trial or run out of plugin instances?

To keep the memory reasonable, a note stride of 3 works well for pianos I find, it's the layers that really make the difference. The stage piano is supposed to be 6 layers, although it seems to be 4 layers in places.

8 layers is best :) The grand from Piano Suite 2 uses only 8% ram in a Live 2, while Stage piano uses 20%.
By Wul Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:54 pm
EnochLight wrote:

Yeah, I've accidentally done the one layer at 127 velocity by accident a few times - you're not alone! :lol: But that stride - if it works for your ears, then you're good. A note stride of 1 (or even 2) with sustained keys and multiple layers may result in a massive RAM-using Keygroup anyway. Is there a reason why you're autosampling the Stage Piano if you have the plugin already?

Only 7 days left :lol: :lol:
By EnochLight Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:55 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:The grand from Piano Suite 2 uses only 8% ram in a Live 2, while Stage piano uses 20%.

I always thought that peculiar. Not sure why the Stage Piano plugin takes up so much RAM when Piano Suite 2 is literally twice the layers. :hmmm: Maybe it's the GUI/UX? Though even that's pretty simple in the plugin. No clue.

Wul wrote:Only 7 days left :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
By MPC-Tutor Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:34 pm
EnochLight wrote:I always thought that peculiar. Not sure why the Stage Piano plugin takes up so much RAM when Piano Suite 2 is literally twice the layers. :hmmm: Maybe it's the GUI/UX? Though even that's pretty simple in the plugin. No clue.

It’s the sustain looping that frees up so much memory. Perhaps stage piano is either not using loops at all or has longer loops
By EnochLight Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:52 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:It’s the sustain looping that frees up so much memory. Perhaps stage piano is either not using loops at all or has longer loops

True, true. Feels like a missed opportunity for Akai. Had they used your method, they probably could have done like 8 layers as well and used far less RAM, and still offered a fancy GUI/UX.