MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By EnochLight Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:27 pm
So, after a couple of years of using aluminum billet knob replacements (from MPC-Stuff.com) for my stock factory MPC Live II knobs, I've grown tired of the Q-Links feel (the aluminum was so polished and smooth, it was difficult to get a good grip on the Q-Links). The main data encoder also felt slightly smaller than the factory knob (it was), so.. I decided to put my factory knobs back on. Thing is, I hate the plain black-on-black look of the factory knobs, so it was time to paint! :lol: :smoker: :mrgreen:

Used the same approach as I did when I painted the knobs on my Nektar Panorama P4, but I didn't have to strip the MPC knobs. Just cleaned them with some 90% isopropyl alcohol first. Three coats of paint later, and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out! Check it out:

The factory Q-Links are slightly smaller (not as tall), but at least they're grippy now!

By 40Beatz Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:04 pm
Nice Bruh!!
By TT_Lab Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:03 pm
Hey Enoch is the paint conductive? Or did you lose the touch capacity of the q links?
Good looking, thou a little bit glossy for my taste but cool none the less!! :worthy:
By Lampdog Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:50 pm
Good ole Rustoleum and Krylon.
By EnochLight Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:15 pm
TT_Lab wrote:Hey Enoch is the paint conductive? Or did you lose the touch capacity of the q links?
Good looking, thou a little bit glossy for my taste but cool none the less!! :worthy:

You can do it in matte as well (I just chose glossy because I figured it would clean up easier). As for the touch capacity, yeah - it still works, but it prefers to have the full pad of my finger or thumb. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uJtJPQsCKM