MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By brutzero Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:49 pm
I'm ready to get back into MPC's after taking a break for a while.

I currently have no Akai products, but I've had the following in the past in this order:

Akai MPC Live
Akai MPC X
Akai Force
Akai MPC ONE
AKAI MPC LIVE II Retro

I've got a modular rig and Ableton, but I really miss the quick standalone workflow of MPC

I Think the MPC Key 61 is cool, but I LOVED the Big Screen and q links of the X.

My hesitation is that it is pretty old for the "Flagship" model. I'm worried if I buy one, the new one would be announced in a few months.

I guess I'm sort of between buying the MPC Key 61 and getting an MPC X. Thoughts???
By MPC-Tutor Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:08 pm
I would be very surprised if Akai are not planning a new flagship to feature the 4GB ram, 16 qlinks etc. But considering your previous purchases I assume you are no stranger to buying gear and selling it when you are ready to move on, so I would say buy whatever MPC you need and trade it in for the next flagship if/when it comes.
By Christov Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:12 pm
If you need keys for your modular rig and want all the extra synths I'd get a MPC Key 61. If not, then the X. With all the updates recently it doesn't look like Akai is giving up the current MPC generation up anytime soon.
By brutzero Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:29 pm
Thanks for the replies. Good stuff to think about.

I have a Novation Launchkey 61 that I would hook up to the MPCX.

Considering the MPC Key 61 will probably have better resale value over MPC X mk1 if and when a new Flagship comes out, I'll buy the Key 61 and sell it for a new X when that comes out.

Looking forward to getting back in after all these great updates.
By jamos Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:13 pm
People have been able to figure out Akai's upcoming releases through FCC filings for some time now. I believe the MPC Keys was revealed about 9 months before it was actually released, perhaps somebody could clarify that number, but we've seen nothing about a new replacement for the X. I would go for an X at this point. It's the only thing with the full set of Q links, and they fact that they dropped this off the keys makes me wonder what their plans are for the future.
By brutzero Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:23 pm
jamos wrote:People have been able to figure out Akai's upcoming releases through FCC filings for some time now. I believe the MPC Keys was revealed about 9 months before it was actually released, perhaps somebody could clarify that number, but we've seen nothing about a new replacement for the X. I would go for an X at this point. It's the only thing with the full set of Q links, and they fact that they dropped this off the keys makes me wonder what their plans are for the future.

I could have sworn I saw on here that somebody did saw a code in the new firmware for an "MPCXL", but I could be mistaken.

I really am so torn. I want the q-links and bigger screen, but outside of modular I won't really be using other outboard sounds so the additional ram and baked in plug ins are very enticing.
By 83dude Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:19 pm
In your situation I‘d wager for an MPC XL and wait, as a previous poster said. I miss my Ren‘s Q-Links and detest switching on my Live2, but it‘s a drawback I can arrange with. I love the ability to listen to sht I do without headphones if I need to.

Whether an XL would support that I would not know, but waiting for a wee bit could simplify your decision.
By NearTao Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:41 pm
Been through a lot of MPCs myself... sitting pretty with the Live mk2, and waiting for an XL to drop... loved the X and definitely miss the bigger screen and more q-links...
By kja Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:23 am
Buying a used x now makes the most sense.. you practically can't lose money. Find one really cheap, I have seen them around $1400 and I'm pretty sure I could get it cheaper then that.. it won't lose money at that price really.. if so very little. The keys is a new product so as soon as a new mpc is released and it's not the newest anymore, it will lose a couple hundred on used prices.. that's when you should get a keys.
By EnochLight Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:25 pm
brutzero wrote:
jamos wrote:People have been able to figure out Akai's upcoming releases through FCC filings for some time now. I believe the MPC Keys was revealed about 9 months before it was actually released, perhaps somebody could clarify that number, but we've seen nothing about a new replacement for the X. I would go for an X at this point. It's the only thing with the full set of Q links, and they fact that they dropped this off the keys makes me wonder what their plans are for the future.

I could have sworn I saw on here that somebody did saw a code in the new firmware for an "MPCXL", but I could be mistaken.

I really am so torn. I want the q-links and bigger screen, but outside of modular I won't really be using other outboard sounds so the additional ram and baked in plug ins are very enticing.

Yes - people digging though the firmwares found references to the MPC Key 61 icon (though not that exact name) over a year before it appeared, but a Force Key 61 icon was discovered even before the MPC Key icons (and yet, no Force Keys). I do believe an MPC XL is more likely, taking into consideration the MPC's popularity, but I seriously doubt you will see a new MPC XL before mid/late 2023. There has been no FCC filing, and that's a dead giveaway. Not to mention they'll want the MPC Key 61 to hog the limelight for as long as possible.

I'd recommend you pick up a used MPC X to get you by for now, and plan on selling it at a loss once the MPC XL appears. That said, just think of the money you lose on the difference as a "rental fee", and you're good to go. :nod: :smoker:
By Jawbrizza Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:18 am
For the record the used market is in the absolute toilet. If you must buy an X now buy it used for **** sake. You’ll see a lot up for sale but the problem is none are selling. I just struggled to sell one with all the plugins for less than the asking price of all the others available. People likely won’t tell you this or admit it because it hurts resale. If I were you I’d just wait for the XL which will very probably come with all the plugins. The fact is people buying used gear just don’t want to buy the same thing in a different box. The X has selling points but ultimately a one is almost the same thing and that’s exactly what people will think when considering buying one. Buy an X if you’re going to
-keep it in the long term (aesthetically though it already feels dated, mostly the UI rather than the design. The concept car tier red side panels are fugly too though)
-have money to burn. It will burn money like it or not. Hard to resell, more paid plugins coming, XL probably around the corner. A year isn’t a long time in the music gear world

it is a cool bit of gear and the q links are nice but there is absolutely nothing about it I couldn’t have done easily with the one. I’d know, I’ve had both.
By mrmarbury Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:29 am
What Jawbrizza said but also think about the following: Even though a new MPC might be announced it might be not until some major music show (next NAMM for example in April 2023 - still like 8 month from now) and then there is the current global recession with increasing prices for even current gen gear we still have covid going on and a chip crisis. So shipping a next-gen device to customers might be well delayed until some point and it could take upwards of a year until a new Akai device hits your table. I am currently facing the same (1st world) problem whether I should sell my X and get a Force because of the (for me) more appealing workflow or keep it. And I also fear there might be a Force Mk2 at some point or an MPC X Mk2 of some sort or even a software update fixing the workflow gripes for me. You never know :Sigh:
By brutzero Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:38 pm
Thanks for all the thoughts y'all!

So...... I pulled the trigger on the X for a crazy deal. Shipped from uk for 1,215 pounds which translates to $1400 US dollars

Brand new from Andertons

It's listed for 1499 uk pounds. When added to cart and paypal, it dropped to 1165,83 for some reason. I of course had to pay shipping to US. There are 3 left in stock if anybody is looking for a great deal.

For $1400, I don't see me taking much of a loss when the new one drops.
By brutzero Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:39 pm
mrmarbury wrote: I am currently facing the same (1st world) problem whether I should sell my X and get a Force because of the (for me) more appealing workflow or keep it. And I also fear there might be a Force Mk2 at some point or an MPC X Mk2 of some sort or even a software update fixing the workflow gripes for me. You never know :Sigh:

What are your current workflow gripes with the MPC X?