MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jeden Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:09 am
Note: I do NOT have an MPC, figuring out if it's the right device to purchase.

I'd like to know if it's possible the following scenario:

- I use an external sequencer (DAW or hardware)
- The sequencer sends a program change
- The program change causes the MPC to load a project or a program

All of this without touching the MPC.

What I am looking for is a way to store samples (usually containing guitar riffs), and have a specific bank loaded when I load the project on whichever sequencer I'm using (which, btw, it's not the MPC itself).

So my workflow would be:

- I turn the MPC on
- Eventually I can load a template project manually, but only once
- The MPC then reacts to program changes on a specific MIDI channel by loading a specific program with samples

The end goal is that every time I load a new project on my sequencer, I don't have to manually reconfigure or load a different project or program on the MPC (as well as all external HW gear I use).

Reason: I frequently switch from one project to another, and I would like that to be immediate from a centralized place only (the sequencer).

Is this possible with any of the MPCs?
By jeden Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:12 am
jamos wrote:No. Sadly.

That's sad indeed :(

I was taking a look at the manual, and in the Preferences menu, General/Other section, I found this:

Program Change: This determines what an incoming MIDI program change message will change: a Program, Sequence, or Track.

And in the glossary menu, under "Program Change":

These are MIDI messages that select sound programs. Programs 1–128 can be changed via program change messages.

I wonder what these mean. Does anyone know or, even better, has tried?
By Yerbalist Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:00 am
jeden wrote:
These are MIDI messages that select sound programs. Programs 1–128 can be changed via program change messages.

Oh yessir this feature I use right now with my MPC One to quickly change tracks, figured out u can apply eg. fader on my ext midi controller on the side to scroll through tracks. Its way quicker than MAIN+PAD method, go figure you can program some control surface to do just that but to sequences and you got one hand free for a beer in ur MPC :smoker:
Also with programs, thats sould work just fine for you, just have to program your controller, sequencer or whatever you got to send Prog Change messages 1,2,3... etc (change settings in MPC of program change to to "Program" if it isn't). For me - no luck with buttons (Berhinger X-Touch mini here), couldn't program them to send changes like 1,2,3,8 etc. it was sending me always to 1 track dunno why, only fader works as intended. :WTF:
By Vaksa Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:03 am

That mean you can change "active" program or track in currently opened project with external gear connected, like controller etc.
By indirect Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:51 pm
The best way is to download Beats app and try with your setup. In midi/sync you may find 'program change behaviou'
So you can change whole sequence with program change - useful for whole splits/playbacks and stuff. You change songs/ song parts essentially with sounds and routings preconfigured. Good for live sets that use playbacks heavily or have elaborate split/layer setup. You change your sounds at sequence change.
There is 'track' which changes tracks within same sequence. You might load your specific drum programs/chops to programs and assign them to specific tracks, that way you can do what you want essentially. This setup is good for workstation like setup, where you would have EP on track 1, AP on track 2, Organ on track 3, Strings on track 4 etc. The problem is that its hard to layer stuff with this method, but it allows to change tracks while same sequence plays.
'Program'. This settings use same sequence , same track, but changes programs. What's confusing is that you SHOULD have only programs you're about to use, and you cannot change ordering of them, also I presume its just for programs within same category, which is much less flexible than 'track'.
For writing process, 'Track' can't be beat as it is lighting fast to select parts with program change and play/record new parts.