MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By DJ_GodsOwn Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:34 pm
So I currently have a MPC One, Tascam Model 12, and an Arturia Keystep as my main music production units. The MPC One is of course a "drum machine" as well as sequencer and sampler. I was wondering what would be the benefit of purchasing something like the Alesis SR-18 drum machine? Would it be to "free up" tracks on the Tascam by being able to have all my drums on one channel and mute them on the Alesis as needed like I currently do on the Tascam? I know I can do the same on the MPC One but I mean doing it without a lot of menu diving which eases workflow. I've linked the device I'm talking about below, but I was wondering what some vet MPC heads may think about it. I mainly make boom bap, and lo-fi hip hop type beats btw. TIA for replies.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... 89270&th=1
By SakisX Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:03 am
Maybe it's better to describe how you use the Tascam with the MPC , can't understand the " "free up" tracks on the Tascam by being able to have all my drums on one channel" part :)
You can simply use one track on the MPC and mute the channel on the tascam (or track mute on MPC)
If you mean that you want to mute/unmute individual pads there's pad mute on the MPC , if you want to multitask you can assign pad mutes to external midi controller
By DJ_GodsOwn Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:31 am
SakisX wrote:Maybe it's better to describe how you use the Tascam with the MPC , can't understand the " "free up" tracks on the Tascam by being able to have all my drums on one channel" part :)
You can simply use one track on the MPC and mute the channel on the tascam (or track mute on MPC)
If you mean that you want to mute/unmute individual pads there's pad mute on the MPC , if you want to multitask you can assign pad mutes to external midi controller

I will put my kicks, snares, hats, bass, etc on different inputs of the Tascam Model 12. I'll make an 8 bar loop in the MPC with every element of my track, and play it while recording to a SD card on the Model 12. I mute the channels as I want to take elements in and out of the song. So I'm counting the first 8 bar loop as my intro, then a chorus, verse, hook, etc, etc. That's how I use my Model 12 right now. I was wondering would I be able to plug the sr-18 into one of the L/R inputs on the Tascam and use it to mute the drum elements, thus freeing up those other tracks.
By EnochLight Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:49 pm
DJ_GodsOwn wrote:So I currently have a MPC One, Tascam Model 12, and an Arturia Keystep as my main music production units. The MPC One is of course a "drum machine" as well as sequencer and sampler. I was wondering what would be the benefit of purchasing something like the Alesis SR-18 drum machine? Would it be to "free up" tracks on the Tascam by being able to have all my drums on one channel and mute them on the Alesis as needed like I currently do on the Tascam? I know I can do the same on the MPC One but I mean doing it without a lot of menu diving which eases workflow. I've linked the device I'm talking about below, but I was wondering what some vet MPC heads may think about it. I mainly make boom bap, and lo-fi hip hop type beats btw. TIA for replies.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... 89270&th=1

Having an MPC, I literally have no use for any other drum machine. None. I sold my TR-8, and I'm considering selling my Korg Volca Drum. IMHO, having redundant drum machines just adds more of nothing. I say that reluctantly, as I do love the drum synth sounds in my Volca, but short of adding completely unique sounds, MPC has it all covered. And if it doesn't have it covered, SAMPLE IT. It's a sampler! :lol:
By J.O.BEATS Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:38 pm
I don’t even understand why you have a model 12 with the mpc. How you describe using it you can just do 100% in the mpc.

Unless you have additional hardware units, mics, etc that you need to record all together it just seems like a waste of space, money , and time.

Save your money and learn the gear that you already have. Once you do that, you’ll know if you need additional gear w/o having to ask.
By DJ_GodsOwn Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:25 pm
J.O.BEATS wrote:I don’t even understand why you have a model 12 with the mpc. How you describe using it you can just do 100% in the mpc.

Unless you have additional hardware units, mics, etc that you need to record all together it just seems like a waste of space, money , and time.

Save your money and learn the gear that you already have. Once you do that, you’ll know if you need additional gear w/o having to ask.

Not really. Its about workflow and ease of use. Of course I can do that with the MPC One, but I can do it much easier with the Model 12. Also it lets me connect my mic and my DJ Mixer to the MPC One and live record into the SD Card on the Tascam Model 12. If what you were saying was true, Dr. Dre's studio would sell all their expensive equipment in favor of a MPC X or something. I didn't ask anyone if they felt I needed a Tascam Model 12 or not. I've already made that determination and it has been of great benefit to me. I asked about the Alesis SR-18. I tried to ask the question but I guess I didn't come right out and say it. If I can indeed set and mute different drum sounds coming out of the SR-18, it would be of benefit to me. Perhaps I should have asked this question in an Alesis forum. That's my fault.
By Telefunky Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:38 pm
J.O.BEATS wrote:I don’t even understand why you have a model 12 with the mpc. How you describe using it you can just do 100% in the mpc. ...

While this is correct, there‘s a LOT of screen flipping involved in modern MPCs.
I found myself in a similar situation and decided for a „classic“ model instead of the MPC-X. The 2k xl would have been perfect, but I picked a 4k for some extra challenge :shock:

The MPC is connected to a vintage Pro Tools 5 TDM by 2 Adat lines (sub 2ms latency) and allows both software/hardware fx and sound sources... and of course sampling.
(whatever is connected to PT can be accessed by the MPC)

But the main feature is 2 dedicated displays, f.e. tweak an fx in the DAW, while the MPC‘s sequencer is still engaged. Not strictly necessary, but very (!) convenient.
(I don‘t need a mobile solution anyway)

As I still have it in my rack: the Kawai XD-5 might be a better companion than the Alesis mentioned. It‘s a drum synth (no sequencer included) with a stereo main out and 6 single outs. A lot of high quality drum samples plus some extra waveforms (single cycle), can go from fat standard to bizarre electronics.
The synth engine even features realtime control (in single instrument mode), but with a big grain of salt: sysex only :Sigh:
It‘s definitely not the most easy machine, but very capable, prices < $200 are ok.
By mpc_fan_2022 Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:14 pm
If what you were saying was true, Dr. Dre's studio would sell all their expensive equipment in favor of a MPC X or something.

A simpler solution would just be to buy a few cheap MIDI controllers, like a cheap Remote SL MKII, plenty of faders and knobs on it and plug it directly to the MPC via USB/MIDI. No need for an expensive external MIXER or some random drum machine with an outdated set of sounds that cannot be changed.
By J.O.BEATS Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:14 am
DJ_GodsOwn wrote:
J.O.BEATS wrote:I don’t even understand why you have a model 12 with the mpc. How you describe using it you can just do 100% in the mpc.

Not really. Its about workflow and ease of use. Of course I can do that with the MPC One, but I can do it much easier with the Model 12. Also it lets me connect my mic and my DJ Mixer to the MPC One and live record into the SD Card on the Tascam Model 12. If what you were saying was true, Dr. Dre's studio would sell all their expensive equipment in favor of a MPC X or something. I didn't ask anyone if they felt I needed a Tascam Model 12 or not. I've already made that determination and it has been of great benefit to me. I asked about the Alesis SR-18. I tried to ask the question but I guess I didn't come right out and say it. If I can indeed set and mute different drum sounds coming out of the SR-18, it would be of benefit to me. Perhaps I should have asked this question in an Alesis forum. That's my fault.

Maybe you’re describing it wrong or I’m just not understanding but it sounds much more difficult using the model 12 than not. But whatever helps you make music and be more productive.
By peterpiper Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:47 am
I don't have any of the modern MPCs. Is it really that complicated to create a 8 bar pattern copy it 20 times and then record track mutes via the pads to 'arrange' a song? Then create an audio track of this song. All inside the MPC?
tbh from what I've seen in videos the GUI of modern MPCs are really not for me but I would expect that such simple tasks (as described) can be accessed within two or three clicks.

But yeah workflow...
I can comprehend the fader/knob thing. Me and touchscreens = no friends. Even with a 24" screen I would prefer faders, buttons, knobs.

peace
By Yerbalist Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:25 pm
I second MIDI control thing, its crazy how many parameters you can map inside MPC to faders/knobs by the side u usually use and save as template. This way you still got everything in one box, but with more immediate control I think trick is to map specific type of intrument pad/program/submix you usually use permanently and so you got always kick on 1, snare on 2, bass on 5 etc. so you know what each knob/mute button on controller does. Lot of fun arranging on the fly this way, no need to switch to trk/pad mute mode saves time rly, plus you can tweak automation u made in mpc software after jamming