MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MPC4guitar Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:10 pm
I have an MPCX. My main purpose for buying it was to make audio recordings of guitar songs (then add drums to the songs). I have extended my bars to 999 and start/end reads 1/999. But for some reason the audio recording automatically stops at around 82 bars. On another (new) project it stopped at 150 bars. I tried calling the people at customer service and they said that I needed to buy an SD card because they thought it could be a memory/space issue. I put in the SD card and nothing has changed. Also I don’t know how to set up the card to where the auto recording would be saved on it anyway…

Has anyone had a problem with this and knows how to fix it? I’m trying to make a 15 minute audio recording of a guitar jam. Ultimately, I’d like to be able to make unlimited length audio recordings. is there a way to direct the audio recording to be saved on the SD card or is there some kind of preset limitation I need to change…?
By Lampdog Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:25 pm
MPC is not designed as a “time based” machine.

It’s is dynamically ram based. Completely opposite of the time-based recording your trying to do.

MPC’s CAN do some time based stuff but severely limited in that regard, ram limitations.

Disk streaming on Akai Force is better for what your trying to do.
By xantus Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:11 am
MPC4guitar wrote:I I’m trying to make a 15 minute audio recording of a guitar jam. Ultimately, I’d like to be able to make unlimited length audio recordings.

use the Sampler, not Audio Tracks. you can turn up the limit to 20 minutes there.
By jamos Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:14 am
This is a known... quirk... in the MPCs. Audio track recording cuts off at 5 minutes. This has nothing to do with recording media or RAM limitations; sample recording can go on for up to 15 minutes. Akai has never acknowledged or explained the... quirk, to the best of my knowledge.
By Lampdog Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:05 am
So for people trying to use it as a time based recorder, there will possibly be multiple audio tracks at 10-15 minutes each (stereo too?!?). We all know people are gonna do that. It needs to be limited to save resources and not get abused. We are gonna abuse the lil thing anyway, ANNDDD then limitations. Doesn't need an official explanation.
By MPC4guitar Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:39 pm
xantus wrote:
MPC4guitar wrote:I I’m trying to make a 15 minute audio recording of a guitar jam. Ultimately, I’d like to be able to make unlimited length audio recordings.

use the Sampler, not Audio Tracks. you can turn up the limit to 20 minutes there.

How do I do that? I tried looking up a video about that on YouTube… How do I hook up my guitar into the sampler and then record what I’m playing?
By MPC4guitar Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:41 pm
jamos wrote:This is a known... quirk... in the MPCs. Audio track recording cuts off at 5 minutes. This has nothing to do with recording media or RAM limitations; sample recording can go on for up to 15 minutes. Akai has never acknowledged or explained the... quirk, to the best of my knowledge.

How do I hook up my guitar to the sampler?
By MPC-Tutor Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:48 pm
You can connect the guitar directly to the front 'INST 1' input on your MPC X, then set the switch on the top panel to FRONT and adjust the 'gain 1' accordingly. Then go to MENU > SAMPLER and set up the incoming connection (input 1) and record away. You can also add FX on this page if you wish, or add fx to the recorded sample later. Check out the MPC X manual initially, this is all covered, come back if you need help with anything specific.

BTW, you can also use a mic to record the output of a guitar amp and connect the mic to the mic inputs of the MPC X. Or if your amp has one, you can send a line out from the amp into input 1 on the back of the MPC X (not the front - only use the front input for direct connection to a guitar).