MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By dorwernor Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:46 pm
Hello!
I already spent some time searching the forum for similar issues, but was unable to find a answer to my question so here it goes:

Since plugging in a USB-Midi-Keyboard (Midiplus X2) my MPC Live II takes three minutes to boot.
I'm actually not sure if it's related to that, but this is the last thing I remember doing before the strange behaviour started.

Just for the record: I own this thing for about half a year now and didn't spill drinks on it, didn't drop it or whatsoever.

I'm running firmware 2.10.1 (because the bugs of 2.11.x prevent me from upgrading, mostly the simultanious-midi-note-issue).

I tried
- resetting the preferences numerous times
- booting into diagnostics mode
- upgrading to 2.11.4 and downgrading again.
- renaming the Expansions-Folder (to exclude the previews being the problem here)
- backing up the installed SSD, reformatting and copying the data back on
- disconnecting the internal SSD altogether
...to no avail

Then I installed Firmware 2.10.1 with SSH-Mod and ssh-ed into the mpc.

I ran "systemd-analyze", and it told me boot time was approx. 30 seconds- so the core system is fine.
The GUI-Process itself takes three minutes to start (I stopped the service and ran it "manually"), but is not outputting _any_ messages within that timeframe.

After that the MPC seems to work normally, but waiting three minutes for a boot is... well... a bit unusual and very frustrating to say the least.

Sadly there is no "strace" on this linux-image, so I don't know where to go from here.

Has anyone experienced similar behaviour on their MPCs?
Any suggestions what to try next?
By dorwernor Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:51 am
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:Is the device still under warranty?

If so I would have never bothered SSH it, I would have made a video, sent it to AKAI and ask for a replacement device, nothing more.

I will check that.
By Wul Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:04 am
Given that you’ve ssh It . Have you added any extra arp patterns ? Coz that slows boot time massively. I added all 6000 and that caused the boot time to be 5 min or more.
By PPlastic Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:01 am
I have had issues with booting on my |MPC ONE. It was that I had a usb cable connector to the hub connected to the MPC that wasn't plugged into anything. Not sure if that helps.
By dorwernor Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:10 pm
Wul wrote:Given that you’ve ssh It . Have you added any extra arp patterns ? Coz that slows boot time massively. I added all 6000 and that caused the boot time to be 5 min or more.

That's interesting.
But, no, I didn't change anything. I was just hoping for a log message that would point me in the right direction...
By dorwernor Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:12 pm
PPlastic wrote:I have had issues with booting on my |MPC ONE. It was that I had a usb cable connector to the hub connected to the MPC that wasn't plugged into anything. Not sure if that helps.

Hm, I have nothing plugged in, but maybe there's something in the socket. I will check this because many posts regarding boot issues where closely related to the USB ports. Thanks for the hint!
By dorwernor Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:19 pm
Just in case somebody has the same issue:

"When looking on the internal memory i found out that my Midi Mapping folder contained more than 2000 files named NI Maschine Jam copy (1) till NI Maschine Jam copy(2349)"

I completely deleted this folder (didn't use midi mappings anyway) and...

The pain is gone :smoker:

Now my MPC boots within 30 Seconds as usual.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:18 pm
Thanks, that's useful info. There's a similar bug in the MPC Software where the midi mapping folder contains 1000s of copies of some random mapping.

dorwernor wrote:Just in case somebody has the same issue:

"When looking on the internal memory i found out that my Midi Mapping folder contained more than 2000 files named NI Maschine Jam copy (1) till NI Maschine Jam copy(2349)"

I completely deleted this folder (didn't use midi mappings anyway) and...

The pain is gone :smoker:

Now my MPC boots within 30 Seconds as usual.