MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Alexxis Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 pm
Hey everyone,

for some reason when I connect my MPC Key 61 via Controller mode to my PC's MPC Software it works but when I try to export an expansion to the MPC Key 61, under "Drive" only my PC's Hard/External Drives are selectable. Even though the manual says that the Internal 2GB SDD I built into my MPC Key 61 should be available.

At the moment, I would have to export to a USB Flash Drive, and then put the USB Flash drive into my MPC Key 61. Shouldn't I be able to directly export to the connected MPC Key 61?

What could cause this? The SSD works fine in the Keyboard itself.

Also, if it is not possible, and only via USB Flash Drive, is there a way to copy those standalone MPCs from the Flash Drive to the Internal Drive?

Thanks in advance.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 pm
2GB SSD - is this installed to the internal SATA port? If so, yes, it should be visible on your computer. As should any USB flash drive currently attached to your MPC. You must enter controller mode on your MPC for this all to work.

You cannot transfer expansions to the internal drive, there is no way to access this drive. They must instead reside on the SATA disk or the flash drive, within an 'Expansions' folder. The MPC will find them and they'll be accessible for as long as the drive is attached. You can export the expansions via the MPC Software.
By EnochLight Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:25 pm
Alexxis wrote:Even though the manual says that the Internal 2GB SDD I built into my MPC Key 61 should be available..

2 GB SSD??!!! Uhhh... you sure about that? :hmmm: The built-in factory storage on the MPC key 61 is 32 GB, and you absolutely should *NOT* install ANYTHING on that. Use your own user-attached storage, like an SSD installed in your SATA port or a USB Stick or an SD Card. Anything but the factory storage.

Despite Akai advertising up to 15+ GB free-space for user storage on the factory storage, it's limited and if you fill it up, it will certainly cause stability issues down the line. Hell, some Expansions are several gigs each, so there's no point even using that IMHO. Install your own SSD in the SATA cradle, or use a USB stick or SD Card.
By Alexis Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:12 am
Strange! The keyboard works fine with the MPC Software. Turn of buttons on the keyboard are reflected in the software. This means that the USB Connection works, right?

But if the MPC software is not running the red "Looking for computer" screen stays on the keyboard forever. Whats wrong? Why can the keyboard access the MPC Software on my pc but i can´t see my drives attached to the keyboard (USB-Sticks, Buit in SSD) in controller mode on the pc? Thank you!
By Lampdog Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:37 pm
Alexis wrote:….. i can´t see my drives attached to the keyboard (USB-Sticks, Buit in SSD) in controller mode on the pc?

Is the usb stick, internal sata hdd (the one you install underneath the machine) formatted?

By Alexxis Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:00 am
Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna try some stuff out with the formatting (exFAT). I also meant that the attached SSD (additional SSD I installed to my MPC) isn't recognized by the computer in controller mode, not the Internal one. Sorry for the confusion about the Built-In Internal drive.
By EnochLight Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:34 pm
Alexxis wrote:Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna try some stuff out with the formatting (exFAT). I also meant that the attached SSD (additional SSD I installed to my MPC) isn't recognized by the computer in controller mode, not the Internal one. Sorry for the confusion about the Built-In Internal drive.

I also take it that it's not 2 GB? :hmmm: