MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Uncle Dieppe Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:38 pm
Can anyone else try this out and tell me if theres a bug in the system,I've been pulling my hair out trying to eliminate the issue but its still there no matter what I try

I have the MPC key and running OS 2.11.4

Heres the dilemma

I have a Novation Remote Zero SL,and am using this as a controller to assign the sliders to control Track volumes on Midi tracks in my projects on the MPC

the SL is all setup ok for Control in the Preferences menu

So I got to "Midi control",and then Midi learn page,then press Enable mapping, then use the + Tab and select Track 1,then select the target which is Volume

then I go to Learn and move the control on my Remote SL this selects the correct slider i need and CC number and channel number so I unselect Learn and then got to Main mode.all done no problem

Heres the issue.....I .Move the Slider on the novation and the volume moves with it ok on screen so that’s fine when I stop moving the physical slider, the Volume slider on the screen just keeps changing random values by itself without me moving the Novation slider, and wont stop until I delete the assignment in the midi learn page again

Seriously pissing me off now,Ive tried multiple controllers with this, as I have 3 Novation remote Zero SLs so i know it s not a dodgy slider on the Novation,I've also tried it with a nektar panorama P1 and the Akai is still doing it and going crazy

I've unplugged all my midi gear thats connected incase its a feedback loop somewhere but no joy,Its got to be a bug thats needs sorting I'm no newbie to midi gear and synths and stuff so know its not a lack of knowledge using this machine, but its really winding me up now,Ive reset all my preference several times and gone back between os 2.11.0 and 2.11.4 but its still there,ive also tried it via the USB connection direct from the novation into the Akai usb connector and also via several usb Hubs and also tried it directly from the midi out of the novation into the midi in on the Akai it all assigns oks but still the same random volume changes every time so its got to be an Akai OS issue :hmmm:

Anyone know if this mpc has a midi panic option that i can reset and turn off all Midi data, the only way i can stop it going nuts but itself is if I delete the assignment in midi learn,Ive also made sure the Automation read/write is switched off incase this might be the cause but still no luck

I can see in the Midi monitor tab on the MPC that the Midi data is constantly being sent from my Novation like its on a loop so i switch off the Novation and then clear the Data and this clears the midi buffer but the slider is still going nuts by itself on the screen :|

Would be great if someone can try the same assigning an external midi controller to volumes to see if it does it on your machines

I'm seriously contemplating selling this bug ridden machine and Reverting back to my 4000 as i seem to be spending more time playing fix it instead of Music making
By jabberwalky Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:51 pm
It's a bug, and it pissed me off so much that I gave up on using midi controllers with the mpc. It has definitely been sent as a bug request a few times now. It's hard to reproduce it everytime, and certain midi controllers are worse than others. For example, I have a mixface SL, that does the erratic volume sliders every time. My Korg Nanokontrol actually worked pretty well every time. Very strange and annoying problem.
By Lampdog Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:21 pm
MPC X, 2.11.4.

Powered on
Empty project

Assigned
A01 (kik)
A02 (snr)

Made a simple beat.
Usb Kronos2 midi.
Mpc midi learn, source A01
Hit learn
Moved slider 1 on Kronos2.
MPC learned it.
A01, ABS cc, public pad:A01, ch1, data 7.
I set Target to LEVEL.
Uncheck LEARN
Go to MAIN
PLAY START
I move slider 1 on Kronos2, kik (A01) responds with level changes as expected.
Go to pad mixer on mpc while the sequencer continues to play. A01 level stays at -INFdB and never changes, 3 minutes go by and it doesn’t randomly change, it stays.

Am I doing it right attempting to recreate or am I missing something?
By Lampdog Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:23 pm
MPC X, 2.11.4.

Powered on
Empty project

Assigned
A01 (kik)
A02 (snr)

Made a simple beat.
Usb Kronos2 midi.
Mpc midi learn, source A01
Hit learn
Moved slider 1 on Kronos2.
MPC learned it.
A01, ABS cc, public pad:A01, ch1, data 7.
I set Target to LEVEL.
Uncheck LEARN
Go to MAIN
PLAY START
I move slider 1 on Kronos2, kik (A01) responds with level changes as expected.
Go to pad mixer on mpc while the sequencer continues to play. A01 level stays at -INFdB and never changes, 3 minutes go by and it doesn’t randomly change, it stays.

Am I doing it right attempting to recreate or am I missing something?

Could it be accidental automation?
By Serge Palmito Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:36 am
I have the same problem. And I don't have any automation programmed.
The project is empty, i am trying to midi-map my Akai Midimix (which doesn't seem faulty : it works well with Ableton for example), no other midi equipment is connected. Same result as Uncle Dieppe. Worse even : screen often freezes, forcing me to manually unplug the MPC. And like jabberwalky, I gave up on using midi controllers with it, for now.
If some midi devices are known to have issues with the MPC and others not, I'd love a list !