MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By midisfun Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:54 am
Hey there,

I've got an MPC One with an external midi controller. I'm using midi learn, have a template file set up with a bunch of control codes that all have tracks as their source. That all works well enough.

I must have something funny in my template file, or something that doesn't show up in the midi learn list, because some CC's have unintended effects that I didn't even know were possible, like causing the MPC to change screens to perhaps the

CH:1 CC:21 moves the playhead for example at the moment...
At times some CC's (all on Channel 1) have switched the MPC to the song screen or the channel mixer.

I've been looking over the manual for a list of input CC's and their functions but all I could find was the MMC codes for transport controls on page 328.

To get to a question... Is anyone aware of a list of input midi control codes and corresponding MPC functions?

Cheers
By Wul Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:05 pm
Sounds like that’s the random selection of a factory controller template that I’ve posted about before.
By midisfun Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:37 pm
Checking your posts Wul. Thanks.

Quick update... got this to happen without using an MPC template project. Strangely enough the CC's to functions seem to change with each new project. Midi log doesn't show any weird input from the controller.
By misterB Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:13 pm
Seen the same strange behaviour today - except the screen changes were triggered by note on messages (only on channel 1 as far as I can tell). No custom project template involved FWIW, plain vanilla stuff.
By [email protected] Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:45 pm
I'm having the same issue with the Force since updating to the most recent firm 3.2.0 (or at least didn't notice it till now). I am using an apc40 mk1 as a controller. Three of the knobs (ch 1, cc 21-23) are also controlling qlinks 1-3. Doesn't matter which screen the qlinks are on, the apc40 knobs always move them also. My assumption is the link knobs are internally routed to those cc values, maybe for some sort of auto routing with other controllers? but I can't find any info in the force manual.
By Calcaire Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:38 pm
Read that thread in Facebook , maybe you will need to suscribe to this great group. Lots of help came from Steve Wul, so thanks again and here :)
[url]
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5503289 ... 9706028301[/url]

the problem is documented, and you need to clear all the factory mappings inside the mpc internal to get rid of it .
the way round the random selection bug is to delete all the factory templates , and if you want you can add your own , then point it too it in the settings file

I used putty on windows, to
A. Stop the Mpc internal program
B. Mount the drive as rewritable
C. Do the deleting etc. on winscp
D. Mount the drive as non rewritable
C. Start the Mpc internal program
Can’t remember the actual commands, but I got the info from GitHub
https://github.com/TheKikGen/MPC-LiveXplore/wiki/Custom-Arp-Patterns-in-standalone-mode-for-MPCs-and-Force
With putty you only need the commands that are after the ip address
GitHub - TheKikGen/MPC-LiveXplore: Akai MPC Live/X/Force/One technical explorations and hacks

1. mount -o rw,remount,rw /
2. Delete files
3. mount -o ro,remount,ro /

thanks so much it worked using cyberduck on mac
2.11.4 hakai running with my global mapping .... I test it hoping the midi note on/off bug is not to annoying ;0) thanks all

I use a SSH enabled firmware since 2.9 ( very stable, used on 60 gigs and festivals with no problems) and I can reallyconfirm that global mapping management is exactly what is missing to AKAI "official" firmware" .. By chance, some Linux gods (Hail to KIkgen ! ) have found some great workarounds. BUt at each 2.11 update, AKAI, reintroduce this ridiculous automatic selection of "ghost/factory global midi learns" within their firmware.
And I have to clear all factory mapping inside the internal drive of my mpc...

Precisely, there is everything down there to have a configurable standalone global mapping , but Akai hides it from sandalone user (it's only available on MPC software or MPC beats)

the mapping I made on MPC Software,(allows my MPC Live 1 to be fully controleld by my novation mk 3, with no freezes nor lags nor bugs :

- select active track and sequence by CC numbers
- one press shortcuts to each panel ( channel mixer, track mute, Program edit , etc..)
- All transports and click control
- 16 Q links
- Qlinks modes selectable with a press of a button.
- Looper control

Akai has developed this features, and just did hide them... So SSH everyone !!

I am not a geek , but these things needs to be learned because they are useful for music making (and live playing) on MPC live 1

-
By 40Beatz Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:39 pm
:Sigh:

I Dont Know bout that!

This Spells D-A-N-G-E-R
By midisfun Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:01 am
misterB wrote:Seen the same strange behaviour today - except the screen changes were triggered by note on messages (only on channel 1 as far as I can tell). No custom project template involved FWIW, plain vanilla stuff.

Oh wow...that seems even more problematic if your keyboards on channel 1. As far as I can tell all of the screen changes from CC's are when the CC's are on channel 1. I've seen it cause other things too like changes to plugin synth programs for example so no idea what else might cause some midi shennanigans. Simple solution seems to be to do all of the controller stuff on channels other than 1. I joined the facebook group mentioned to try to learn more about enabling SSH access so I can delete these troublesome templates, but now I'm also wondering what hardware those templates are for. Maybe there's a controller out there built to do what I'm using a pad controller for.

I'm planning on upgrading my keyboard controller in the future to something with plenty of assignable knobs and faders. It seems easy enough to use channel 16 or something else other than 1 as the mpc seems to just pass those straight through with no fuss, but I'm hoping there's some midi routing screen on the MPC I just haven't learned about yet, or maybe a way to route a CC through using a qlink knob or something. I'll keep reading up and try to bring anything helpful I find back here.
By midisfun Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:11 am
Calcaire wrote:

Precisely, there is everything down there to have a configurable standalone global mapping , but Akai hides it from sandalone user (it's only available on MPC software or MPC beats)

the mapping I made on MPC Software,(allows my MPC Live 1 to be fully controleld by my novation mk 3, with no freezes nor lags nor bugs :

- select active track and sequence by CC numbers
- one press shortcuts to each panel ( channel mixer, track mute, Program edit , etc..)
- All transports and click control
- 16 Q links
- Qlinks modes selectable with a press of a button.
- Looper control

Akai has developed this features, and just did hide them... So SSH everyone !!

I am not a geek , but these things needs to be learned because they are useful for music making (and live playing) on MPC live 1

-

This! :) Need additional midi mapping functions + a templates browser in standalone. None exists though huh. Thanks for the info.
By Calcaire Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:54 pm
-[/quote]

This! :) Need additional midi mapping functions + a templates browser in standalone. None exists though huh. Thanks for the info.[/quote]

These additional midi mappings are all available in controller mode . Making them standalone is a real nice bonus... Search for : MPC-and-Force-global-midi-mapping-in-standalone-mode-how-to