MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By TT_Lab Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:29 pm
Today I was wacthing a video about the M8 tracker device, and got inspired and fast prototype this concept of a handheld MPC Classic and thought to share with the community.
Wouldn't it be sweet?

Off course the software is just a mockup but would have to be tailored.

By Lampdog Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:33 am
Title screen.
By Lampdog Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:04 am
Also spoiled on q-links over here.
By TT_Lab Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:41 am
The idea was it to be handheld like a Gameboy... But I hear you...lol
By TT_Lab Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:07 pm
akaimpclive2 wrote:https://sonicware.jp/pages/smpltrek

I am aware of smpltrek but it is not an mpc and the screen is like going back to 2010 or something. But looks cool nonetheless. I was thinking about coping one but will be waiting to real use reviews before buying.
By bitermc Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:49 pm
Add mini qlinks and the choice to dock it to a bigger controller and you have a million dollar design.
By 40Beatz Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:20 pm
Nice Design...just needs a Flip Out Stand attached to the bottom, so you can bang out, at an angle
By TT_Lab Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:44 pm
40Beatz wrote:Nice Design...just needs a Flip Out Stand attached to the bottom, so you can bang out, at an angle

Noted! Great one
By Lampdog Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:13 pm
TT_Lab wrote:The idea was it to be handheld like a Gameboy... But I hear you...lol

Handheld pad banging will take some getting used to.
I like the clean design though.
By mrmarbury Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:52 am
This is an awesome design. :worthy: I would certainly buy it because I am looking especially for some MPC I could just throw into my backpack. I also have some notes to probably make it even more HH :)

Bring the control buttons up between the pads and the display and loose the rotaries next to the screen. That way you could make it slimmer so it is symmetrical on both sides and can be played with both thumbs while holding it in both hands. I would bring the controls up because if you bring them down below the pads you might trigger them with your palms by accident
For the q-links (I dunno how they are called but those with horizontal disks like in old pocket radios ... or some fancy modern touch controls that can be operated by sliding you finger over them and they should work in relative mode so you do not have param jumps): You could add 4 in the "right view" that could be operated with the index finger. Or two in the left view and two in the right view at display's height. So you could use both index fingers to operate them. Would make operation quite natural imho since I think you hold it that way anyway: Thumbs on the pads, index fingers stabilising on the sides and the other finger holding from the bottom ... hell you could even add some buttons at the bottom. I wonder why nobody has done that yet anyway. Feels so natural.