MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By TT_Lab Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:51 am
mrmarbury wrote:This is an awesome design. :worthy: I would certainly buy it because I am looking especially for some MPC I could just throw into my backpack. I also have some notes to probably make it even more HH :)

Bring the control buttons up between the pads and the display and loose the rotaries next to the screen. That way you could make it slimmer so it is symmetrical on both sides and can be played with both thumbs while holding it in both hands. I would bring the controls up because if you bring them down below the pads you might trigger them with your palms by accident
For the q-links (I dunno how they are called but those with horizontal disks like in old pocket radios ... or some fancy modern touch controls that can be operated by sliding you finger over them and they should work in relative mode so you do not have param jumps): You could add 4 in the "right view" that could be operated with the index finger. Or two in the left view and two in the right view at display's height. So you could use both index fingers to operate them. Would make operation quite natural imho since I think you hold it that way anyway: Thumbs on the pads, index fingers stabilising on the sides and the other finger holding from the bottom ... hell you could even add some buttons at the bottom. I wonder why nobody has done that yet anyway. Feels so natural.

My idea was more in the lines of holding it with one hand and smash the pads and the buttons and controls with the other (like a calculator), that's why I put the shift button on the side so you can maantain it pushed with the thumb of your left hand while pushing other button or pad to go to certain screen etc...

I was thinking that instead of rotaries in the old fashion way, the could be surfaces like quneo's controllers but without the fancy colors

By mrmarbury Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:56 pm
oh you should have said it ;) ... I get it. Sounds nice as well. The first thing that came to mind for me have been the PocketOperators that you play with your thumbs and hold like a game boy
By TT_Lab Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:10 pm
mrmarbury wrote:oh you should have said it ;) ... I get it. Sounds nice as well. The first thing that came to mind for me have been the PocketOperators that you play with your thumbs and hold like a game boy

Yes I mispoke before is more like calculator than gameboy :worthy:
By mrmarbury Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:20 pm
TT_Lab wrote:Yes I mispoke before is more like calculator than gameboy :worthy:

You shall be forgiven :-D ... anyway, great work :) ... can't wait for you to announce the release date :smoker: