MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:27 pm
MPC 2.11.5 Bug: As of the latest 2.11.5 update, the MPC browser no longer supports mp3, SND, REX and OGG files. These files cannot be load from the browser at all, nor you can't preview them. And if your expansions use any of these files for your 'browser previews' then those previews wont currently work.

This bug is affecting standalone and mpc software (note: rex was only ever supported in the software)

EDIT 1: I have updated all my expansions and the MPC Bible to ensure they are not affected by this bug, you can download the updated versions from your File Bank
By bitermc Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:51 pm
Korzo wrote:Really? Is there any real reason for that?

Yeah, the reason is they don't have automated tests in their software development workflow, or they don't have them properly implemented. As a result, they launch updates with regressions, the classic "I fix one thing, I break another "...

:WTF:

I hope they release a fix for this fix that doesn't break anything else
By 40Beatz Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:54 pm
Simple Fix....Downgrade back to 2.11.4 until they get their Sh*t together :lol:
By UselessLandline Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:02 pm
bitermc wrote:
Korzo wrote:Really? Is there any real reason for that?

Yeah, the reason is they don't have automated tests in their software development workflow, or they don't have them properly implemented. As a result, they launch updates with regressions, the classic "I fix one thing, I break another "...

:WTF:

I hope they release a fix for this fix that doesn't break anything else

This is what I find hard to understand.

According to this talk from the one of, if not the most senior software engineer at InMusic/Akai, they seem to pride themselves on their automated test and build pipeline:

Maybe the tests are bad?

But even they are, if the build process is so slick how come we have to so long for fixes? Meanwhile we periodically get features no-one asked for. :WTF:

Reputationally, I think the damage to the Akai Professional brand might be irreversible. Most people I speak to now are so wary of buying any new MPC product because of the what they've heard about the reliability of the platform. This is such a shame. IMHO the hardware platform is great, but the lack of quality and feature planning in the software just smacks of negligence and a contempt of their customer base on the part of InMusic.

The pandemic was very profitable for InMusic (and the musical instrument market in general) yet they seem unable to invest in better software engineering practices.