MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Luca Pierma Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:50 pm
Hello,

having the ram integrated is it possible with some specialized technician with the right tools?

or are there external devices that increase the ram for 1 project that needs more than 2gb of ram?

best regards
Luca
By MPC-Tutor Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:04 pm
No, you are stuck with what it ships with, which is 2GB RAM, but around half of that is taken up by the firmware, so really around 1GB.

So either trim down your project (mono instead of stereo, trim samples efficiently, use plugins or external synths instead of keygroups etc), or get an MPC Key 61 which has 4GB (i.e. around 3GB of usable ram)
By Luca Pierma Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:31 pm
This is very sad,
if I use the samples in mono, then playing them in the master out L and R in live session, will they sound in stereo?
By mpc_fan_2022 Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:28 am
The AKAI Force has disk streaming (samples are read directly from the hard drive instead of the RAM) so maybe that device would suit your need better than the MPC Live which doesn't have disk streaming.

Or the MPC Keys has 4GM of RAM instead of 2GB. So it would be a better choice for you to move to a device that is adapted to your needs.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:58 pm
No one has tried it, I have no idea how easy it is to do this on an integrated board like that, assuming you can even source the right type of RAM. Might be easier to try sourcing the 4GB board used on the MPC Key, but just swapping out the board might not work, will probably need additional programming at a deeper firmware level.

This all seems excessive if you just have one project that cannot fit into the available RAM, there's many ways to workaround this, as per the previous suggestions, you could also try other options, such as reducing sample rate of large audio (e.g. down to 32 or 22 kHz), chopping long audio files to bare minimum pieces and triggering from pads (this is what I used to do in the MPC 2000XL when working with vocal tracks, as there was only 32mb ram and no audio track support).

This is a large part of what standalone devices are all about, working around the limitations. Otherwise, just get a laptop and DAW and have virtually no limits. The amount of ram in an MPC Live is still significantly more than most other grooveboxes out there.
By mpc_fan_2022 Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:35 pm
Luca Pierma wrote:sure that it is not possible to unsolder and resolder a more powerful ram?

You can try, it's your MPC after all. It would be a shame to damage it and lose your investment entirely over an unrealistic mod, when you could just sell it and get something that actually does what you want.

Nobody is going to attempt that hazardous mod in your stead.
By Luca Pierma Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:49 pm
I use it to do live sessions, and the parts despite being meticulously cut and repeated when possible allow me to do 1h or 1: 30h live maximum, I would like to get to at least 2h, and safely use internal mpc plugins ... usually when I work the ram it is always at 80 or 90%, while it would be advisable not to exceed 60% ...
By 40Beatz Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:29 pm
Sounds like you need a Mixer, with 2 or 3 different sound Sources during your Live Sessions. Although Akai advertised the MPC Live YEARS ago as being the perfect Unit for LIVE situations, the Current line of MPCs Cannot Single Handedly Control a Live Session. These are Drum Machines/Sampler/Midi Controllers.

Over the Years, Akai has tried to Fatten Up the Potential Uses for these units. Added Synthesis, More Linear Audio Tracks, Instruments, etc. Unfortunately, Akai/InMusic as a Company does NOT have the Manpower/Expertise to affectively stretch the Current Hardware/Software WITHOUT a Complete Overhaul. At the end of the Day, It comes down to how much revenue they can Acquire, with the Hand they are Dealt. Versus starting over and designing All New Hardware/Software (which they could be doing now?)

Just My .02
By Telefunky Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:05 pm
If you can divide your performance in a 1st and a 2nd half, then some device to perform (only) during the loading time of the 2nd half would be needed... afaik this was a common approach when RAM was much smaller and more expensive than today.

Exchanging a RAM chip isn‘t rocket science, the problem is in a different area:
the bigger chip must have exactly the same „address pattern“ as the original and the OS must recognize and enable the extended RAM. :hmmm:
It needs serious skills to verify this capability without any documentation, otherwise the physically extended memory simply doesn‘t exist for the software.
By Luca Pierma Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:03 pm
40Beatz wrote:Sounds like you need a Mixer, with 2 or 3 different sound Sources during your Live Sessions. Although Akai advertised the MPC Live YEARS ago as being the perfect Unit for LIVE situations, the Current line of MPCs Cannot Single Handedly Control a Live Session. These are Drum Machines/Sampler/Midi Controllers.

Over the Years, Akai has tried to Fatten Up the Potential Uses for these units. Added Synthesis, More Linear Audio Tracks, Instruments, etc. Unfortunately, Akai/InMusic as a Company does NOT have the Manpower/Expertise to affectively stretch the Current Hardware/Software WITHOUT a Complete Overhaul. At the end of the Day, It comes down to how much revenue they can Acquire, with the Hand they are Dealt. Versus starting over and designing All New Hardware/Software (which they could be doing now?)

Just My .02

I compose all the tracks with external synths and mixer etc in the studio and record them on a tape recorder "to warm up the sound" (the mpc has a sound a little too digital for my taste), then I put the small parts inside the mpc and I play them in sequences and some plugin sounds synth and drums of mpc for for each track... all during the live session
By Luca Pierma Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:07 pm
Telefunky wrote:If you can divide your performance in a 1st and a 2nd half, then some device to perform (only) during the loading time of the 2nd half would be needed... afaik this was a common approach when RAM was much smaller and more expensive than today.

Exchanging a RAM chip isn‘t rocket science, the problem is in a different area:
the bigger chip must have exactly the same „address pattern“ as the original and the OS must recognize and enable the extended RAM. :hmmm:
It needs serious skills to verify this capability without any documentation, otherwise the physically extended memory simply doesn‘t exist for the software.

thanks for the explanation
By Ultros Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:12 am
If you use a custom rom you could mount a swap partition and "disk thrash" for ram. It will allow you to get around the 2gb ram limitation.

for those unfamiliar with the idea of swap space, its a virtual memory partition (on disk aka hdd sd ssd) where ram overflows too when your physical ram chips become full.

The throughput of the disk used for swap matters here. your ram chip has a higher bandwidth than most of your plugable storage medias but for those with a sata controller and internal disk drive this should work decently. (like the OP with a live.)