MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By HouseWithoutMouse Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:16 am
All of that is already there in Akai Force. If you set a clip to Legato mode, switching to it will start from the previously playing clip's playhead position and not from the start. This allows you to do things like pickup bars, in a way. It's not idiot safe and it still needs practicing to not mess up, but very useful.

Wouldn't it be great to have the Force clip mode in an MPC, controllable with something like Akai's own APC Mini?
By hyena Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:08 pm
PhatBob wrote:
This is exactly what I do, and I would recommend for live situations.
But it could be so nice to be able to be able to use Time Correct when using Mutes! And so basic and easy to implement. Having Mutes associated Tracks and not the Program would be nice as well....

man, i'm very glad to inform you that timing correct for track mutes is ALREADY implemented ahahah! i use it often in live performances exactly as you describe.
PhatBob wrote:In the same idea of live playing, one of my wishes would be to be able to use Next Sequence in a more “musical” way: not to have the next sequence starting from the start, but from the position of the previous one (when using Next Bar or Sudent)

yes, jjos2xl for 1000 and 2500 had this and other very useful modes for next sequence, like more quantization options, not just next bar\sudden\end of sequence... i find it a bit frustrating that the akai team didn't develop ALL the great features that jj introduced.
By dwah Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:33 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:
dwah wrote: I wish to pull up a blank pattern and improvise something new in the fly.

Akai Force is your product, not MPC. Improvising the song structure on the fly, creating new pattern variations, replacing old variations with new ones, and switching between variations, that's Force. In the current MPC version, you'll have to stop the flow a lot, as you've already found out.

Yeah! The MPC One is not really a Live performance device. One needs to have everything already recorded and then use mutes or sequences to drop things in and out. The Force is too much cash for what I want. All my sounds are outboard except some drum samples, so that amount of money for a midi arpeggiator would be silly. I guess it'll have to do for now! :)
By hyena Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:31 am
dwah wrote:
Yeah! The MPC One is not really a Live performance device. One needs to have everything already recorded and then use mutes or sequences to drop things in and out. The Force is too much cash for what I want. All my sounds are outboard except some drum samples, so that amount of money for a midi arpeggiator would be silly. I guess it'll have to do for now! :)

sorry but this is bs, it might not be your best choice for live improvs, but saying it cannot do it is bs.
you have a sh1tload of tools in the mpc for live mangling and creating some examples? 1)finger drumming with all possible configs, 2)step sequencer, 3)clip tracks, 4)looper, 5)different track lengths, 6)xy fx, 7)granulator and other creative tools, 8)you can even drone with the arp odissey opening the VCA and tweaking params even with sequencer stopped. etc...
just be creative man.
By 40Beatz Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:18 pm
You Guys Are So Emotional :lol:
By PhatBob Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:04 am
hyena wrote:
PhatBob wrote:
This is exactly what I do, and I would recommend for live situations.
But it could be so nice to be able to be able to use Time Correct when using Mutes! And so basic and easy to implement. Having Mutes associated Tracks and not the Program would be nice as well....

man, i'm very glad to inform you that timing correct for track mutes is ALREADY implemented ahahah! i use it often in live performances exactly as you describe.

Thanks for this info that I totally missed MAN, no need to laugh though.

By the way, not to start an endless discussion, but having program mutes tided to the program itself is a total nonsense for me in terms of playability and composing. If the data related to the mute states of a drum program were associated to the track's data, as notes and CC are, it would radically change my life.
For now, the only trick is having a "substactive" approach: I lay down a full track, duplicate it as many times as I want variations (mutes) and manually delete the events of the sounds (pads) I don't want to hear. I let you imagine how easy it could be done having Pad Mutes associated to Tracks data and not the to the Program
By hyena Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:57 am
PhatBob wrote:

Thanks for this info that I totally missed MAN, no need to laugh though.

By the way, not to start an endless discussion, but having program mutes tided to the program itself is a total nonsense for me in terms of playability and composing. If the data related to the mute states of a drum program were associated to the track's data, as notes and CC are, it would radically change my life.
For now, the only trick is having a "substactive" approach: I lay down a full track, duplicate it as many times as I want variations (mutes) and manually delete the events of the sounds (pads) I don't want to hear. I let you imagine how easy it could be done having Pad Mutes associated to Tracks data and not the to the Program

hey, i wasn't laughing AT you, i was laughing WITH you, no intention to sound rude.
hmm, there might be a workaround involving assigning midi cc to pad mutes, then using midi tracks to send those cc's, i'll have to test it.
By kazakore Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:10 am
PhatBob wrote:

I disagree. Having Pad Mutes work globally, rather than only to the selected track, gives much more flexibility and creative freedom. It takes literally two seconds to hit the Erase button, hit the pad(s) you want to remove and hit Do It to create the varied tracks you want.
By PhatBob Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:44 am
hyena wrote:hey, i wasn't laughing AT you, i was laughing WITH you, no intention to sound rude.
hmm, there might be a workaround involving assigning midi cc to pad mutes, then using midi tracks to send those cc's, i'll have to test it.

No prob...
Haven't thought about this. You're probably right. I'll give a try and we'll see.
If it works, good, but let's admit that's not an intuitive approach ;-)
By PhatBob Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:54 am
kazakore wrote:I disagree. Having Pad Mutes work globally, rather than only to the selected track, gives much more flexibility and creative freedom. It takes literally two seconds to hit the Erase button, hit the pad(s) you want to remove and hit Do It to create the varied tracks you want.

I do agree with you ;-). And this is what I'm currently doing. But this really a matter a taste..
You're right saying that deleting notes take a sec, putting them back is not as friendly. Yes, UNDO is your friend for this, but it slows me when trying different "mutes" combinations that are quite inspiring, at least for me, when working in a song structure.
By kazakore Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:17 pm
PhatBob wrote:
kazakore wrote:I disagree. Having Pad Mutes work globally, rather than only to the selected track, gives much more flexibility and creative freedom. It takes literally two seconds to hit the Erase button, hit the pad(s) you want to remove and hit Do It to create the varied tracks you want.

I do agree with you ;-). And this is what I'm currently doing. But this really a matter a taste..
You're right saying that deleting notes take a sec, putting them back is not as friendly. Yes, UNDO is your friend for this, but it slows me when trying different "mutes" combinations that are quite inspiring, at least for me, when working in a song structure.

So would some way to Apply current mute states to selected track work for you? As this seems it would give the best of both worlds to me (but not quite a fast for your way of working.) Currently I don't think you can see or change Track from the Pad Mute page so not sure if there or in Main/Track/Edit would make more sense...
By kazakore Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:21 pm
How exactly it's applied would also need working out. (Delete the pads' notes/zero the notes velocities/add a new automation type/something else..)