MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Neodymium Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:37 am
A multl in compact version of the one would be great, but before that, I'd like to see an Akai in out expander, both audio and CV in a desktop friendly format (I have the behringer rack, which I make work for my desk. but hardly throws in a bag. That way everyone everyone would have the option to expand, and be able to know it's supported.

I'd also like to see a semi-modular. Something like the Flavour Pro, with a row of modules you can change about, and with the OPX4's mix matrix and the <icrofreaks modulation matrix.

Some users have asked for wavetable, that could be an optional module. Mutable Instruments (now closed apparently) had modules like the Plaits, this is open source, so could be a module. Etc.
By mrmarbury Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:02 am
Neodymium wrote:I'd like to see an Akai in out expander, both audio and CV in a desktop friendly format

I have thought about something similar. I am running a fully equipped X32 rack with S16. But 16 I/Os are hogtied by the X and the One. A dedicated Expander (make it a 16x8 [IxO] at least that can be expanded with another 16x8 via ADAT) would be so nice .. I am dreaming here of course.
And I would add Midi into the Expander as well. But an 8x8.
I currently have 20 cables connected to the X. And since the main desk here is used for my daily coding work as well I have to move the X out of the way all the time which sucks with 5kg's of cables attached. This would reduce it to one cable (plus AC) which would be awesome.

Neodymium wrote:Some users have asked for wavetable, that could be an optional module. Mutable Instruments (now closed apparently) had modules like the Plaits, this is open source, so could be a module. Etc.

This is a gold idea. They could bring a virtual Mutable Instruments rack with all modules they have made. And if Akai makes the CV Outs into CV In/Out-combos one step further could be that each virtual CV port could be routable to one of the physical CV combo ports so you could incorporate your physical modular into the setup. But then the I/O expander they bring should have 16 CVs.

Man these Ideas of yours are golden :worthy:

EDIT: typers gout
By Neodymium Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:59 am
Or 8 ins, 8 outs, 8 CV, and make them chainable and in a shape where they can sit multiple together in stackable compact way. So user can add more if they need. I imagine most would want no more than 8 ins, but still plenty that would want more.
By mikem Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:44 am
Neodymium wrote:Or 8 ins, 8 outs, 8 CV, and make them chainable and in a shape where they can sit multiple together in stackable compact way. So user can add more if they need. I imagine most would want no more than 8 ins, but still plenty that would want more.

That sounds very interesting, especially the stacking part, if you can stack them together and they connect via a single cable to the MPC. I'm already thinking of a few additional modules for that system :-D

Like a more advanced input module (with level leds, line/instrument switch and separate volume controls on the front, etc.). Or a module with 8 Q-Links where you can switch between controlling pages 1/2 or 3/4. Or a module with send/return pairs and a new plugin, where you can use those in a channel strip. So you could plug a guitar pedal or something into the signal chain.

One can always dream :-D
By Neodymium Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:04 am
I read on a Daw forum years ago, that if you had two of the same USB interfaces, there was no real reason why a driver couldn't be written to run bot of them. If Akai made their own interface it would be really cool if it wasn't at the expense of the built in I/O but supplementary to them.

If they could and wanted to go really modular with them. They could just make a separate Inputs versions, Outputs version and CV version. and users could mix and match to meet their needs. If they wanted to embrace the Eurorack format, they could make them in 3U heights and make a mini case. for those not wanting euro rack
By THXjay Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:39 am
Years ago when I was first looking into the whole MPC world I was torn between the MPC (5000 at the time) and the Roland MV8800. The killer feature of the MV at the time was the video out to use an external monitor, along with mouse support (mot to mention built in CD drive for sampling and burning your finished masters)
The MPC looked a little underfeatured next to that, but it had the legacy and history so I did eventually go with Akai as the MV8800 was discontinued not long after.

The Roland MV had exactly what I wanted, a self contained studio in a box with external large monitor and mouse support, no computer, just switch it on and make music.

Years later I am still wishing for the MPC line to catch up to Rolands forsight and add a HDMI output. Hopefully the next MPC XL will have.....

1. HDMI out for large external monitors (dual outputs would be awesome for 2 screens)
2. Faster processor / more RAM
3. Arranger/Linear mode like the force has had for ages
4. Bring back a slider or two. The Q-Link knobs are great but we need at least one slider (not a touch strip)
5. How about having the SSD/Hard drive as a slot in on the front (or back) of the unit instead of having it fixed inside underneath. This would make it much easier to take out to add stuff instead of having to use controller mode to access it.
5. Let's please get back to the "professional" part of the name and give us a proper steel powder coated case instead of all this plastic.
6. Make the screen housing metal as the current X has a flimsy feel when hitting the screen.
7. Give us a screen brightness knob.
8. Make the jog dial much bigger and flatter so it you can "thumb it"

Overall I think Akai is doing a superb job with this range and let's face it, they don't have any real competition at the moment, so just keep going in the right direction!
I would love all of the above but I'd be 100% satisfied with HDMI out and arranger mode :)

.....and keep the prices sensible on the plug-ins and everyone will be happy.
By cmackg Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:57 pm
I’d like to see the ability to program midi controls in stand-alone version. I have a pedal box that moves up/down sequence/track , play, stop, rec but it only works in stand-alone.

Would be great for punching in while working at the desk.
By jpeg Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:41 pm
the should add the same outputs from mpc 3k & mpc 60 so they can delivery true hardware output modelling of the older samplers as originally promised in the mpc renaissance era.

also they should add some analog filters; and data slider and a touch strip to make the unit more hands on performative
By MGoolas Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:26 pm
My wishlist:

- At least 16-64 gb ram
- Up to six ssd in Raid configurations
- Multicore cpu with clock speeds and cores on par with Intel Core i9, (I'd prefer at least a
32-64 core system like threadripper cpus tbh).
- 16inch touchscreen at 4k with HDR support
- 32 qlink controls, 8 hardware channel faders with Eq strip, filter, HI-Z and SSL class
compressor \ limiter on each channel.
- HDMI, Display port and Dvi display support, at least 2 monitor support
- 16 ins, 32 outs, With sends on each channel and 3x Send Return channels
- Analogue filters on each channel output
- A fully analog polyphonic synth engine embedded, something like a Deepmind 12.
- Let me install the OS of my choice, not just Linux
- Fully open OS so I can install whatever I want, That could allow me to finally leave my laptop behind
- GPU options. Let me select from different AMD and NVidia gpus.
- The ability to install Ableton, Soundforge or even Fl Studio
- SMPTE I\O So I can sync it to my tascam portastudio
- Fully designed by roger linn.

Just my small wishlist for my dream MPC, I mean come on AKAI it's 2022, why can't we have these features ?
By Monotremata Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:26 pm
MGoolas wrote:My wishlist:

No VGA? Screw that Im out!
By TT_Lab Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:38 pm

- At least 16-64 gb ram
- Multicore cpu with clock speeds and cores on par with Intel Core i9, (I'd prefer at least a
- 32 qlink controls, 8 hardware channel faders with Eq strip, filter, HI-Z and SSL class
- A fully analog polyphonic synth engine embedded, something like a Deepmind 12.
- Fully open OS so I can install whatever I want, That could allow me to finally leave my laptop behind

Just my small wishlist for my dream MPC, I mean come on AKAI it's 2022, why can't we have these features ?

Here you have, it already exists:
By mishra747 Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:10 pm
What would be great is a collab between ssl and akai to make 100% compatible their uc1/uf8 software so that we can mix directly on the mpc without exporting to a daw!
By sinik Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:15 pm
the "but my computer is more powerfull than an mpc" joke never gets old don't it?

i somehow have the feeling that they won't even update the X, although i would hope for it.
the biggest challenge with these new models is the overwhelming UI/UX. they could've done it way more efficient and smarter and it's only getting worse.
By TT_Lab Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:23 pm
Well, he was asking for a computer in his post.
I want a better MPC with a more streamlined workflow, specially making the browser better. Better pads and more responsive touch screen. More audio inputs and outputs
By hansjbs Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:32 pm

- At least 16-64 gb ram

Are you serious or is this a joke? Do you understand how big and expensive this would be?

Why not just build it yourself via desktop and use an MPC controller??