MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By wadewatts Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:19 pm
Hey there.

Is there any plans from Akai to release it for Linux?
I understand that it is a proprietary library and it isn't compatible with RTP-MIDI so there's no open-source project that can actually do the trick, yet. Is that correct?
By SakisX Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:27 pm
correct
I think recent custom firmwares include rtp midi
As a workaround you could try bt midi (not for mpc one) or a classic usb midi interface
By wadewatts Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:55 pm
Hmmm I’m actually using the MPC One.
When you mentioned recent custom firmwares, did you mean JJOS or is there anything custom for the MPC X/Live/One?
Anyway, I’ll just stick to traditional MIDI for now then :)
By SakisX Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:26 pm
wadewatts wrote:Hmmm I’m actually using the MPC One.
When you mentioned recent custom firmwares, did you mean JJOS or is there anything custom for the MPC X/Live/One?
Anyway, I’ll just stick to traditional MIDI for now then :)

I mean Hakai custom firmware ,ask @Ultros and check fb groups :)
By wadewatts Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:32 am
Ah ok the Hakai one, sure I'm on the FB group and followed the project for a little while but haven't tried it yet (only had my MPC for about 2 weeks ^_^" ).
I was thinking you meant a fully custom firmware in the same way as JJOS for the older MPCs :)
If it includes rtp-midi I might as well try it ASAP!
By Ultros Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:41 am
Sadly I've not added any rtp functionality to the mpc, havent even looked if it has a daemon for it. I was debating hacking the protocol for their network midi feature. I need to do some investigative work. Find out the port then set up netcat on my pc to listen to the port that their network midi protocol runs on and get some idea of their data structure and then write a server. Wont be until later this winter though. Pretty busy atm with work and stuff.
By wadewatts Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:40 pm
Ah no worries man, you're already a legend for making possible to boot the Force firmware on an MPC.
Getting rtp on the MPC sounds like a lot of work, though.
Btw there's a daemon for it on Linux, just that it's alpha: https://github.com/davidmoreno/rtpmidid
the readme also mentions a few other implementations.
By Ultros Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:51 am
wadewatts wrote:Ah no worries man, you're already a legend for making possible to boot the Force firmware on an MPC.
Getting rtp on the MPC sounds like a lot of work, though.
Btw there's a daemon for it on Linux, just that it's alpha: https://github.com/davidmoreno/rtpmidid
the readme also mentions a few other implementations.

I already have jackd and netjack in there should be able to connect your midi stuff and sound channels via netjack. im not well versed with it myself.
By Jean-Marc Liotier Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:38 pm
Now 2024 and as far as I found there is still no way to get MIDI over Ethernet from an MPC to a Linux host, neither with Akai's misguided proprietary silliness or with one of the MIDI over IP open protocols commonly available.

Oh well, problem solved with a MIDIMATE eX and a five-meter USB cable, which I needed anyway to get audio across.

But still, the cumulative grief of not implementing common protocols, going for a proprietary flavour, implementing it on their own Linux platform and not releasing it for other Linux platform is a lot - even for Akai.
By mpc_fan_2022 Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 pm
Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
But still, the cumulative grief of not implementing common protocols, going for a proprietary flavour, implementing it on their own Linux platform and not releasing it for other Linux platform is a lot - even for Akai.

The MPC Key 37 (and maybe the 61 too, I don't know) now does MIDI over USB without drivers, but none of the other MPC do. Go figure...

Some much for a "common OS"...

One day maybe some person will figure out an alternative (open source) OS for the MPC as a F. Y. to AKAI business model of nickel and dimming.