MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By LivePsy Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:10 pm
I do not like the idea of 'reactivation'. You have limited activations, I wouldn't mind if it said 'checking license' but reactivation implies it might think the device is unactivated and use a second license slot by accident. How do you get those license slots back? Their entire licensing system needs to be very clear and it needs to favor the end user, not the bean counting department.
By mario-g Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:22 pm
bitermc wrote:.

Also, the day the current line of MPCs and its plugins are discontinued, the activation services can go down forever, and forever gone your plugins will be. I know this is a distant future, but musical instruments are supposed to last.

For the moment, my money is not going to be spent on new plugins. Not until I have a 100% crystal clear confirmation that a plugin doesn't need reactivation unless the firmware is updated.

I 100% agree.
By Gorgon Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:22 am
What world are you living in? If you have a plug in on a computer, and you either log out, deactivate, or your hard drive dies and you have to reinstall, then you will have to download, reinstall and/or log back in and reactivate it. This isn’t 1994, shit has been this way with music software for years now :lol:

I can’t think of a single plug in where you don’t have to have an account, a code, and you log in to it and enter that code.
:WTF:
By jaymack Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:34 am
there are at least 50 other plug ins on this machine and I have never had to "reactivate" them once in three years. so what is your point?
By bitermc Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:53 am
I'm making a simple test: my MPC One is always offline. I've set the date to 2032 and rebooted a couple times.

For the moment, it's not asking me to reactivate the plugins. So it seems plausible that the trigger for reactivation could be the offline firmware upgrade (which makes sense).

I'll keep the future date for a few days more, just to be sure.
By Juxx Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:24 am
WoW sorry to hear about this BS you guys are experiencing.

I haven't updated since 2.11.3 and all plugs working fine Standalone with no internet.(Wi-Fi off)

Only Reason I was considering updating was thinkin the flavor pro FX could be a replacement for my Analog Heat.

After reading all this I Went and checked my account and the plug-ins are gone and I had about 15 Sound/Beat packs on my account that are gone.

Seems they are trying to go full Native Instruments with the software lockdown.

Bet they are going try doing subscriptions at some point. "Hey Get all the plug ins for only $15 a month FOREVER!" :WTF: :WTF: :WTF:
By bad mind Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:01 am
Had an issue a few days back when bringing a session over from standalone into the software, but was able to go to the preferences and activate everything again in there. No issues since.
By EnochLight Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:28 pm
Gorgon wrote:What world are you living in? If you have a plug in on a computer, and you either log out, deactivate, or your hard drive dies and you have to reinstall, then you will have to download, reinstall and/or log back in and reactivate it. This isn’t 1994, shit has been this way with music software for years now :lol:

I can’t think of a single plug in where you don’t have to have an account, a code, and you log in to it and enter that code.
:WTF:

jaymack wrote:there are at least 50 other plug ins on this machine and I have never had to "reactivate" them once in three years. so what is your point?

Their point was activation/authentication servers are not a new thing and have been used for years, and many (if not most) top-tier plugin manufactures require you to authorize online to use your plugins as of 2022. So in this hypothetical scenario where a company goes belly up and your plugins no longer have an authorization server to connect to, you'd no longer be able to authorize them either - regardless of whether it's Akai/InMusic or any other plugin maker.

The fact that you haven't needed to reauthorize any of your 50 plugins in 3 years doesn't mean a thing in this scenario, because I'd wager that in those 3 years you haven't once had said computer die or bought a new machine and needed to re-activate new installations on said new machine. I mean, if you did - that's pretty incredible (and rare).

I will go on record and say that these random re-activation issues people seem to be having sounds like a bug. If it isn't, then Akai/InMusic are taking a Roland Cloud approach it would appear, but if that's the case - the licensing and activation requirements need to be publicized and easily understood by potential (and current!) owners, IMHO. :nod:
By Gorgon Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:59 pm
jaymack wrote:there are at least 50 other plug ins on this machine and I have never had to "reactivate" them once in three years. so what is your point?

Yes and they are “free” or included with your hardware/software daw purchase. They didn’t require a license in the first place, neither do the bundled plug ins with most daw.

These are new, you don’t have to buy them, they didn’t increase the price of an mpc off the shelf, and, ultimately, if you really need a sound, go sample it, it’s a sampler. It’s just nice to have cool extras you can use sitting on your couch or whatever, unique to the eco system, and it’s just letting you build a palette of sounds and options. Not much else out there that lets you do that, can you blame them for implementing a system that’s not really any different to any other plug in developer and designed to stop piracy. It’s a little inconvenient if it fails but all you really need to do is go back online briefly to activate again. Maybe it’s down a few days if you’re unlucky but welcome to the future, you never played mmo games? Also Where the hell y’all making beats you gots no internet even for 2 minutes for an activation if need be :lol:
By high198 Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:31 am
Gorgon wrote:

Yes and they are “free” or included with your hardware/software daw purchase. They didn’t require a license in the first place, neither do the bundled plug ins with most daw.

These are new, you don’t have to buy them, they didn’t increase the price of an mpc off the shelf, and, ultimately, if you really need a sound, go sample it, it’s a sampler. It’s just nice to have cool extras you can use sitting on your couch or whatever, unique to the eco system, and it’s just letting you build a palette of sounds and options. Not much else out there that lets you do that, can you blame them for implementing a system that’s not really any different to any other plug in developer and designed to stop piracy. It’s a little inconvenient if it fails but all you really need to do is go back online briefly to activate again. Maybe it’s down a few days if you’re unlucky but welcome to the future, you never played mmo games? Also Where the hell y’all making beats you gots no internet even for 2 minutes for an activation if need be :lol:

Can you block people on this forum?….
By sparky Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:10 am
I’ve bit my tongue a million times reading this thread but YMMV does not amount to help or even informed discussion.

‘Hey bro this never happened to me / this happened to me but it doesn’t bother me (and why would you want to do this anyway) / this happened to me but it magically went away, YOUR problem must be XYZ / this problem which may or may not have happened to me must be because you did this one thing which you’ve already said you didn’t do‘

All of these formulations are no use whatsoever to anyone, and they all say the same thing: ‘I am very clever and yet I’m unable to read’

The only value of this thread at the moment is to highlight that there is a problem and other people have experienced it, and to report their version of the problem without projecting it on others. Some objective opinions based on past experience of the gear and the company are also relevant. But the rest is magical thinking, supposition, being smug or wilfully stupid.

In the meantime, I’m waiting for a refund for €250+ of plugins I can’t use. YMMV
By kja Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:37 pm
Hasn't everyone just tried to figure out what it causing this? I have never read anyone saying anyone is to blame for having it happen or magical thinking.. I'm not sure what that means, I believe we are all trying to single out why this is happening from our experiences? Would you rather we just say "that sucks for you"?
By EnochLight Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:45 pm
high198 wrote:Can you block people on this forum?….

Click the user name, and click "+ Add Foe"?