MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Neodymium Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:35 pm
Now we have a manual (for the VST), I’m trying to get my head around it and FM, which feels pretty alien to me. I’ve made some progress, I can’t quite get a gripe of solid sounding basses and leads, but man, so far this thing is a pad machine. I thought a thread sharing our knowledge, progress and tips might be worthwhile.

https://cdn.inmusicbrands.com/air/2022/ ... 20v1.1.pdf

Operators and Matrix pages are the Hub of the machine, different from the VST, you touch the large number to jump to it’s operator page, instead for the small menu at the bottom.

And the Grey Matrix Icon to jump to the Matrix (which then lights up)

Ratio
FM seems to work best around numbers from the harmonic series, and as ratios of 1,2,4,8,16 are all octaves, double tapping the ratio for the number entry screen gives the option to double and half.

And as any harmonic can be doubled and halved, such as the 3rd, 6th and 12th, it works for these too (from 0.75 and 1.5 up). The Jog wheel jumps through the ratio in 0.64 steps (or 0.064 with shift) on the Matrix page, but using the Q links on the Operator page jumps in 500 steps which is more useful)

I grabbed the harmonic series off Wiki and edited to add the lower numbers Blue for the Natural Harmonic and Red for there reduced ranges. 0.5 is helpful as it’s a sub-octave.

I found the ratios to Equal Temperament and Just Intonations too. These don’t seem to be part of the how people approach FM, but as all 4 voices can be routed out, I thought they may help come up with something

Offset
I’m a bit puzzled by the use of the off set as it’s a fixed about of Hertz. I don’t know the use of this. If you add and offset of 50, then the A’s frequencies are 55+50 = 105, 110+50 = 160, 220+50 =270, 440+50 = 490, 880+50 = 910, 1600+50 =1650. So at low frequencies the offset is a large deviation, but a small one further up the keyboard. You can also do negative offsets, which caught me off guard when my keyboard reversed order. -1000 hertz means A at 440 is playing -560 (inverted), and then the next A down at 220 is play -780 up the keyboard, and then 110 moves higher at -890Hz

Level
The level control sets the volume in the Matrix, but it also the level available to the submixer. So if it’s on zero here, the sub mixer can’t use it.
PW
Pulse Width seems to insert a zero line and split the wave
This is at 50%

Formant adds a resonant peak

FM Filtering
Filters the upper harmonics of the modulator, eventually reducing it to a sine wave. But you can still send this unfiltered source direct to the sub-mix. So you can both use the source as an audible carrier but tame it when using as a modulator at the same time.

FM Shaping
This has me a bit puzzle to what it’s doing exactly. It seems to be shaping the wave resulting is removal of high frequency noise, but having less impact on the harmonics than the FM Filter has. When the source is quite stable it doesn’t seem to have much impact, whereas filtering always does.
Last edited by Neodymium on Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Neodymium Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:41 pm
Because the Modulations are present in the INIT patch, my first step was to Create a new Patch called "INIT All Clear", this has saved me a bunch of time,

I wish there was a Schematic. I think I have it figured out now, but it would have helped at the beginning.

In the envelope section you can sync to tempo, but it only seems to work with the envelope set to 'loop', not DADSR or One-Shot. Unless I'm missing something here?
manual just says
"Length of the envelope relative to the Global Tempo. Set
to Off set the envelope length according to the stage
settings in milliseconds. "
Last edited by Neodymium on Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By jabberwalky Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:28 am
Solid info man! For anyone unsure about OPx4, or what the FM stuff is about, honestly....I would not suggest trying to learn FM with OPx4! You can tell that the designers also aren't big into the origins, based solely on the operator ratios they default to (which make no sense aside from creating a shit ton of dissonance). They aren't even starting people out with pure sines. It's not implemented in a way that makes a ton of sense, and most of the stuff isn't named the same. That said, as a die hard for years, it's super fresh and novel to me, and I get great pad sounds out of it.

To learn the core concepts the way they were designed, I always recommend going through the book "The Complete Dx7" which has step by step tutorials for the Dx7 that explain exactly how/why ratios sound a certain way, and the rest of it. You can easily use the VST Dexed, or the VOlca FM to follow along too.
By Neodymium Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:29 pm
Matrix Vs Algorithm

Watching a number of videos and reading the basics of FM, the Matrix seem so much more malleable than the Algorithms but also more daunting. The DX9 was also a 4 operator synth, the OPX4 seems a pumped up DX9.

I thought maybe creating some Matrix views to replicate the Algorithms would help get heads around this approach. (I hope I've got these right) Putting it into a visual format was a a bit of a head twister, but I thinks this works in translating the concepts.

Please Note: I've used 100% as an arbitrary figure, I'm not suggesting using these. I just had to put something in for the ideas to come across.

The DX9 had these Algorithms (from as far as I can tell)

By jabberwalky Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:26 pm
Neodymium wrote:Thank guys

jabberwalky wrote:They aren't even starting people out with pure sines.

What makes you say this, they look and sound like sines to me.

The original init preset was wrong and not a sine. Perhaps it's fixed, I bailed on that trash preset when it was released.
By Neodymium Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:37 pm
I've only been using it for 2 weeks, maybe something changed. Spent this weekend running my MPC One through the oscilloscope, so that's was good. The PW Sine posted yesterday was from the Standalone, and the Sine today was from the VST (both INIT patches)
By Neodymium Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:05 am
jabberwalky wrote:They aren't even starting people out with pure sines..

Looks like you were right, they aren't pure sines. I had a larger scope up and it's was clearer that their peaks and troughs aren't centered. Checked out the harmonics and there are clearly present above the fundamental. So they are pretty warm sines. I wonder if that's why they included a filter in the modulation. The first time I played a chord through the init patch, I remember thinking 'Hey'just chords with sines sound pretty good. Getting a Thom York vibe from them' so something should have stood out for me that they were pretty warm sines.

By xonox Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:59 pm
Thanks a lot for sharing all this hard work. :worthy: It's not easy to grap the OPx-4 just by fiddling around an hour or two. Just installed OPx-4 yesterday and well, I am confused as to how to create my own sounds.

I didn't even know the manual was out! (i searched many times before).

MPC-Forums is a good place thanks to generous people sharing their knowledge. Thanks again!
By Masi Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:07 pm
jabberwalky wrote:They aren't even starting people out with pure sines.

In a post (where? here? on Gearspace?) someone who claimed to have inside knowledge that they are not sine waves because of performance reasons. I have no clue if generating a pure sine wave is harder on the CPU than this approximation.
By Masi Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:25 pm
Neodymium wrote:Now we have a manual (for the VST)

Oh nice. After so many month they produced one. Probably because in the VST market you don't get away without supplying one.
It is no surprise to me that some of the sections add little to nothing which is not already clear from the UI. But Akai isn't the only bad boy in this regard (Hello, Arturia!).

Neodymium wrote:Offset
I’m a bit puzzled by the use of the off set as it’s a fixed about of Hertz.

You have modulators that follow the pitch (MIDI note). I assume the idea is that you let it either fixed or use the modulator to scale with the frequency.

Rant: There is enough space on the screen. Why not write "Offset (Hz)"? It would be so much easier to use this synth without those cryptic labels.

Neither "pulse width" nor "formant" are good clues to what actually happens.

Neodymium wrote:FM Shaping
This has me a bit puzzle to what it’s doing exactly.

The manual talks about a "squared value". To me it is not clear what the "operator value" means? Perhaps the absolute modulation value. Eg modulation level is 3, then with a shaping of 100% the applied modulation would be 9, at 50% 7.5.