MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Suessiphus Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:15 pm
Dear MPC users,

a while ago I bought some of the plug ins for my MPC One and created some projects with it.
Meanwhile one project cannot be loaded completely since MPC is running out of memory.
As it worked before, since I saved it that way in a good state, I wonder what happened.

So I would like to ask you for some help. If I just startup MPC, create an empty project and make a program using Studio Strings (default preset dynamic section) as plug in program in track 1 currently eats up 48 % of memory resources on my MPC. I am not sure, but I felt like it was less in the beginning.
Is it the same on your devices?

This occurred after a trial of Fabric plug in expired (not used in the project in question) and resetting preferences with firmware 2.11.6, because midi learn did not work properly. Now midi learn is running but memory is low. Firmware downgrade (tried to 2.11.4, 2.10.1 and 2.7.2) and upgrade as well as disabling extensions did not solve the issue.

thanks in advance
By MPC-Tutor Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:02 pm
Each instance of studio strings uses up 31% memory on my MPC Live, which is ridiculously high, but this has not increased with MPC 2.11.6. This is approximately the equivalent of loading a 400MB keygroup program (24 bit).

I have never seen a single instance of Studio strings ever use more than 31%. What is your default memory usage with a fresh boot up (before any project is loaded)? Not a new blank project, instead switch off and switch back on again and check the memory. It should be 0%, maybe 1% - if it isn't, then you have something eating up RAM upon boot up, which is probably due to lots of excessively large expansion images, as all these get preloaded into RAM.

Assign studio strings to track 1 in that blank project and check the ram, should increase by around 31%.

What are you seeing? If all seems fine then there's something specific in your project that is causing it, something that's changed in 2.11.6, perhaps 2.11.6 is handling some elements differently which leads to an increase in memory usage (FX?), or perhaps some kind of memory leak.

You could load up the project in the MPC Software and tweak it to get the memory usage down to a level where it will load in standalone (e.g. convert some samples to mono, tighter editing, purging unused samples etc).
By Suessiphus Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:35 pm
thank you for your quick response.
On my MPC, even creating a blank project after boot up has a memory usage of 1% only and assigning an instance of studio strings to track 1 increases it by 47 % (so 48 % in total).
(I do not know how to check memory without a project loaded, it just shows the demo screen)
So I know there is something wrong with the software on my MPC.
By Suessiphus Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:34 am
Finally my issue was solved by deleting the internal Midi Learn folder in MPC Documents that grew to 2048 files and probably caused a restart afterwards.
This issue is already described in other posts in the forum but I did not relate Midi Learn and the memory shortage in first place.
Thanks again for your support and this very active and helpful forum.