MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Christov Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:14 am
Hey everyone,

Last night I saw I accidentally saved 2 programs in the internal memory. Judging by the filenames it are programs of a beat I made a while ago. This hasnt bricked my One yet, but I wonder if I remove them now from the internal memory if I would risk bricking it. This isnt factory content after all...

Anybody ever been in this situation?
By Lampdog Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:43 am
Crazy that you mention this today. I was looking through my MPC X internal drive to see if I had accidentally saved anything there, and YEP, I had 2 “track bounces” and 1 “efx rack” in mpc documents. I checked the dates and the files were created a long long time ago and I didn’t need them. I delete all 3. I didn’t touch anything else in there. No pref reset. No problems afterward. MPC X is still running as it should.

I then checked MPC Keys61 internal drive, nothing from me accidentally saved there.
By Christov Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:28 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Tread carefully, we're rooting for you. Remember if all else fails try this little known button combo:

<power switch off> + <power switch on>

Switching it of and on, what does that do?

@Lampdog: good to know that it worked out okay for you! Kinda reassuring.
By NearTao Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:45 pm
I'll just add that saving a bit on the internal drive is not the end of the world or anything... typically the problems arise when somebody has filled it up. The MPC needs some amount of space free to operate properly, but Akai never documented how much, reserved space, or anything else that would actually help anybody sanely triage the problems.

Broadly speaking, the best we can do on the forum is tell people not to use the internal drive. Why? Well once you get into the habit, eventually you'll use up all the space, and once it is gone, it makes the MPC work in strange ways that we don't understand beyond "well you saved stuff to the internal drive".

Which leads us back to being easier to just tell people to not use the internal drive.

Similarly, people who have gone off and just deleted factory content to free up space have caused all kinds of spurious and weird behavior of their MPC. Which issues, hard to say, but you can definitely go through the forum and find all kinds of strange cases where content removal has lead to crashes, oddities in software behavior, and more fun problems. And Akai has never documented what content is mandatory and required on the MPC for it to maintain proper behavior.

Which leads to why we tell people in general to never delete anything off the drive.

That said, if you've just used a few MB of storage space, it's unlikely to effect anything on your MPC, and if you're confident that it is your content then it is fine to remove it.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:50 pm
Sorry, I thought your initial post was a joke, it seemed tongue-in-cheek. There is no problem saving some work to the internal drive, except that you cannot easily back up your work, plus filling the drive can eventually cause performance issues.

The real issue is deleting factory content - it seems to confuse the MPC and leads to instability, we assume the MPC is expecting that content to always be there. Hence we recommend you save all work to an external drive and just leave the internal drive as 'read only'. But it is ultimately not a problem if you just save a bit of content to it. And you can just delete that content at any time, just don't delete the factory expansions.

Christov wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:Tread carefully, we're rooting for you. Remember if all else fails try this little known button combo:

<power switch off> + <power switch on>

Switching it of and on, what does that do?

@Lampdog: good to know that it worked out okay for you! Kinda reassuring.
By Tappinaway Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:54 am
Just adding my experience:

On MPC live 1 since 2019. I've accidentally saved programs/projects to internal and deleted them with no problem.
I've also deleted the demo screen programs from internal a long time ago and never had a problem.

The MPC seems to get finicky only when RAM I getting close to full.
As they say, YMMV.
By Lampdog Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:53 pm
Tappinaway wrote:The MPC seems to get finicky only when RAM and / or internal default drive gets close to full.
As they say, YMMV.

15-20% free. When below that free space you will start to have problems.