MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Jean-Marc Liotier Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:14 am
Is it possible to trigger a pattern from the pads ? I would like it just like a sample program but with the first note of the pattern being the triggering pad and the next notes of the pattern played relative to that one.

Alternatively, this could be an arpeggiator functionality, with the triggered pad transposing the pattern - but that one I know is not possible on the MPC.

Is it possible to just trigger a pattern from the pads - or is that a dream and a letter to Santa Claus ?
By MPC-Tutor Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:24 am
You are effectively referring to 'MIDI clips' which are not supported by MPC, but are very much supported by the Akai Force.

You can launch complete sequences in 'next seq' mode, but that disables normal pad functionality.

Alternatively, if you are happy using SSH enabled firmware, your arpeggiator idea could work:

https://github.com/TheKikGen/MPC-LiveXp ... -and-Force
By Jean-Marc Liotier Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:36 am
Some software differences between MPC and Force seem arbitrary, especially such MIDI stuff.

I did not know about the Force's MIDI clips. They implement part of my idea, but they do not seem to be triggered chromatically transposed à la keygroup - which is what I have in mind.

So, more cut'n'pasting ahead for me I guess !

As for the SSH hack, it is extremely tempting - I would love to scp my samples instead of mounting the SDcard back & forth to transfer the .wav files I cut roughly with Audacity before fine zero-crossing chopping them on the MPC... But as a systems administrator, the last thing I want from my MPC is to be one more Linux box I have to administer: the MPC is pretty much what I use to escape that, so I really want to treat it as a music instrument rather than as a computer. Self-imposed limitation, might seem stupid but my sanity is at stake !
By MPC-Tutor Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:58 am
MIDI clips on the force are launched like audio clips, so cannot be used chromatically like an instrument, you're just launching a single midi pattern. I guess the arpeggiator is the one to go for, but it's not really suited for 'on the fly' patterns, more like pre-prepared stuff, so yes, you'll probably be spending a lot of time connected to a computer moving patterns back and forth.

I'm no linux expert, but I use SSH-enabled firmware for making screenshots and video, it's actually not much bother at all. I achieve most of it using FTP software (cyberduck) with a little Terminal here and there, but I've also customized Amit's noderserver scripts which allow many of the tasks to be handled via a web browser. But moving patterns back and forth should be quick and painless, although I assume you'll have to re-boot each time you change the arps.
By Jean-Marc Liotier Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:44 pm
Thanks for the insights - let's hope for more MIDI goodness in future MPC OS versions !

Meanwhile I'll mull trying the SSH hack. My reticence isn't about usage: as you mention, there are many convenient user interfaces - it is about maintenance, especially upgrades compatibility and manufacturer support... But it wouldn't be the first time I void a warranty !