MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By giacecco Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:12 am
Hi All,
Since the summer, I've been trying to use external MIDI controllers such as the MidiFighter Twister or the Korg nanoKONTROL with my MPC X standalone, but it's been impossible. I can use external MIDI to play notes, but not for any other CC control, like modulation. The bug described here in this forum viewtopic.php?f=48&t=213969&p=1851869&hilit=midi+korg#p1851961 makes so that MIDI learn just doesn't work. I've submitted the bug to AKAI of course.

I was wondering if - in the meantime - I could use any of AKAI's own controllers that - I presume - AKAI tests the MPC firmware against (though, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't).

MPC's own website seems not to make any promises https://www.akaipro.com/products/controllers : it labels a few devices as compatible with their own MPC software and / or with Ableton Live... but MPC standalone seems to be completely ignored. Is that normal?

What's your experience? What external MIDI controller have you been successful using for modulation? Thanks!

G.
By Lampdog Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:11 am
search.php?keywords=Midi+learn+folder&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=200&t=0&submit=Search

Delete the “midi learn folder”.
I suspected midi learn problems when I first got my MPC Keys61.
I deleted the folder. I REALLY didn’t want to delete anything from the internal drive, but I did it anyway and was surprised, no problems so far.
By giacecco Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:30 am
Thanks @Lampdog, I have just tried a few times. It doesn't seem to solve the problem. After deleting the folder (using the MPC itself in browse mode), the MIDI Learn folder is recreated empty and - as soon as I use my MIDI device - it gets filled with hundreds of "Ableton Push 3 Copy(x).xmm" files. There must be something else, too, that prevents the MIDI learning.
By jabberwalky Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:55 pm
Worth trying to reset preferences in the menu, rebooting it. Make sure no other devices are connected but nanokontrol. That config file is definitely weird, and has caused me issues too. There is def some backup verison of it hidden somewhere we can't touch because it can recall past setups, even when deleted.
By Lampdog Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:22 pm
Yesterday I tried connecting sliders, button & knobs on Kronso2's control surface to diff midi cc's via MPC X (2.11.6) learn. Worked as expected.
By giacecco Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:30 am
Thanks a lot @Lampdog, @handthrow, @hyena, All, I guess that I was the only one in history with the mysterious "Ableton Push 2 Copy(xxx).xmm" bug then. Even Google returns zero results if I search for "Ableton Push 2 Copy", that is quite uncommon.

After resetting the preferences, the MIDI Learn folder now contains only one file called "New MIDI Mapping.xmm" and I could setup successfully a few knobs on both a Korg nanoKEY Studio and a MIDIFighter Twister.