MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Ronnymonkey Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:33 pm
Update: i recorded the click track from the force and live to cubase at 128 bpm.
Mpc Force: After 73 bars we have an 8 mili second lag.
MPC Live: After 73 bars we have a 10 milisecond lag
(2 minutes and 15 seconds into the track)

After 8 bars they are both 1 milisecond late.

All the best,

Ronny
By Telefunky Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:28 am
With midi sync you’ll never get 2 machines aligned sample accurate over that amount of time.
People use audio ramps for this purpose.
A bi-directional sync in shorter intervals may also do the job, but I‘m not aware of any standard for the latter.
By Lampdog Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:59 pm
Telefunky wrote:Without midi sync you’ll never get 2 machines aligned sample accurate over that amount of time…..

I’m guessing this was to say “without midi sync”

And yep, without syncing, no 2 machines, are the exact same bpm.
@OP, if we all know this then what’s the point of “re-telling us?”
By Ronnymonkey Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:40 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Telefunky wrote:Without midi sync you’ll never get 2 machines aligned sample accurate over that amount of time…..

I’m guessing this was to say “without midi sync”

And yep, without syncing, no 2 machines, are the exact same bpm.
@OP, if we all know this then what’s the point of “re-telling us?”

Wow, gold letters. I learned a lot today. Thanks a lot.
By Telefunky Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:51 pm
That WITH was dead serious :mrgreen:
but possibly grammatically bad... does by midi sync you‘ll never get sample accurate alignment over that amount of time read better ?
You need a constant audio „click“, usually a ramp signal and derive clock/bars from that.
In clock precision benchmarks all top performers (iirc all analog gear) used that method.
ps: need some time to refresh my grey matter... to remember the site :hmmm:
By DeaDeus Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:40 pm
"You need a constant audio „click“, usually a ramp signal and derive clock/bars from that."
This is indeed a thing which got lost after years. My aged gear is sending out constant midi sync "pings" - but even the fairly new Polybrute, with its at least 50% analogue tech, is not doing this anymore.
How much does a separate clock chip cost?
- 1.50€
The chip I refer to (and I am not a knowledgable person...) is the ATMEGA328PB, mentioned in the thread of the forum below:
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

This will of course not explain, why it is not used anymore.....
By Lampdog Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:30 pm
DeaDeus wrote:My aged gear is sending out constant midi sync "pings"

Kronos2 does this. MPC X and MPC Keys61 see it and it's not even a problem.
By DeaDeus Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:41 pm
Lampdog wrote:
DeaDeus wrote:My aged gear is sending out constant midi sync "pings"

Kronos2 does this. MPC X and MPC Keys61 see it and it's not even a problem.

Yes, my Korg M3 too, but I'd like to keep the MPCX as master, holding all information - including the speed of songs.

I think, if money does'nt matter, the E-RM Multiclock seems to be top of the notch. I do not have one, but it sounds like it can take over the master clock role according to incoming clock speed - as well as being the master of it all. Plus individual clock dividers and adding shuffle and other settings to make the clock do unusual things.... but €570 for a clock....
By Lampdog Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:59 pm
DeaDeus wrote:..but I'd like to keep the MPCX as master

Same, X or Keys61 runs the show, never together, I don't use them together.