MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Jayson Wonder Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:58 pm
Hey y'all,

I now have the MPC Key61 in my arsenal. I am stil playing around and figuring out how I like it compared to my other MPCs. I sadly noticed that MIDO over USB is still not a thing in standalone mode. Would have liked to see Akai get this implemented.

Does any one know off Akai plans to work on this in future updates or is this just a lost cause.
By Lampdog Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:53 pm
I have both X and Keys61.

I have a powered USB 3.0 hub (as suggested in the manual) --> Keys61.
USB connected to that hub are:
EMU Turbo phatt with a midi-to-usb adapter.
Kronos21
Moog Subsequent-37

(I do this exact same thing with X as master almost everyday. I have no DIN midi cables, threw them all away a long time ago.)

Keys61 is master and I can sequence all of them into Keys61 sequencer, usb midi.
One problem people are seeing is the inability to play the same note on different channels at the same time.
I've not been able to recreate this using Kronos2 and Moog.

Just one of my configs.

By Monotremata Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:34 am
I got my old Emagic AMT8 connected to a USB hub that's sending MIDI in and out to 4 synths, and the rest of the hub is a Blofeld, Bass Station 2, TD-3, Wasp and an SQ-1 to play my modular. All works fine. Its also got a USB audio interface connected and is able to keep up with at least 8 audio channels playing while syncing/triggering everything else including its own instruments.

As for the MPC connected to say a Mac trying to send/receive MIDI in Cubase or something, that's different. The MPC in standalone mode is a Linux box that just starts the MPC software when it boots. It's a little computer, not a MIDI interface or audio interface. In controller mode it reboots into a 'dumb mode' where it does work. Otherwise, it does send/receive MIDI over USB, but it's a host device. MIDI over ethernet is what you got in that scenario using the 'Remote' MIDI port on the MPC and the 'Akai DAW' and 'Akai MIDI' ports on the computer side. Not sure what the DAW one is for but the other one works great to sync, play stuff on the computer from the MPC or vice versa. from Cubase/Logic/Live/etc, Just gotta have the ethernet connected.
By EnochLight Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:25 pm
Jayson Wonder wrote:Hey y'all,

I now have the MPC Key61 in my arsenal. I am stil playing around and figuring out how I like it compared to my other MPCs. I sadly noticed that MIDI over USB is still not a thing in standalone mode.

:hmmm:

MIDI-over-USB has been a thing since the Key 61 launched.