MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Chillin Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:08 pm
BeatWilson wrote:When I get hired as an environmental artist for Digital VFX after I finish school in 6 months... You will be seeing more mpcs, sp404's and synths in games... That and graffiti... haha BTW, my teacher is working on the show/movie for Last of Us. It's actually filmed in the hometown I'm from. I always loved the environments in the first game. Still gotta play the second one...

It would be cool to have some in-games / mini-games, where you can actually make a beat on the MPC or even finish a task.
By EnochLight Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 pm
Neurone wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Also, everyone waxes poetic about how "old hardware was more stable". Clearly they never worked on Ensoniq gear from the 80's and early 90's - that's what got me in the habit of saving my progress and saving it often (random OS crashes for no reason other than the wind blew in the wrong direction). :nod: :lol:

To be frank, the MPC of today is far, FAAAAAR more powerful & complex than they were 10 years ago, and even though there are some long standing bugs, I wouldn't trade my Live II or Force for any of that old stuff.

I had an ESQ1. Never failed me.

I had (in this exact order):

VFX-SD
EPS
EPS 16+
ASR 10

All four of them suffered from the OS randomly crashing during long production sessions. Maybe the ESQ1 never had that problem - you were lucky! That said, I currently own an SQ1+, and it's rock solid.
By kidkeitel Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:03 pm
I had (in this exact order):

VFX-SD
EPS
EPS 16+
ASR 10

All four of them suffered from the OS randomly crashing during long production sessions. Maybe the ESQ1 never had that problem - you were lucky! That said, I currently own an SQ1+, and it's rock solid.

The secret to avoiding a lot of crashes on the eps/asr series was to disable poly key pressure for each track as it consumed a considerable amount of unecassary sequencer memory (especially on the eps), using a stand as opposed to a desk for airflow AND using a LINE CONDITIONER. Ensoniq keyboards are highly sensitive to voltage fluctuations and performed better with a consistent flow of juice. Applies to all electronics, including these new sorry excuses for MPC's though it doesn't solve shotty coding crashes which is mostly the case.
By EnochLight Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:06 pm
kidkeitel wrote:The secret to avoiding a lot of crashes on the eps/asr series was to disable poly key pressure for each track as it consumed a considerable amount of unnecessary sequencer memory (especially on the eps), using a stand as opposed to a desk for airflow AND using a LINE CONDITIONER. Ensoniq keyboards are highly sensitive to voltage fluctuations and performed better with a consistent flow of juice.

Jesus - no wonder Ensoniq failed and went under. :nod: :lol: What shoddy engineering.

kidkeitel wrote:Applies to all electronics, including these new sorry excuses for MPC's though it doesn't solve shotty coding crashes which is mostly the case.

Meh - current MPC's are the best MPC's ever made. :wink:

By TT_Lab Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:12 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Meh - current MPC's are the best MPC's ever made. :wink:

It depends what you are measuring. In terms of studio production, featurewise, no doubt.
But if you need them for live performance, some older models are more reliable.
Pads on older models are way better, more responsive, more playable. I love the pads of my 2kClassic
By THXjay Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:24 am
I really love how the original 60's whole top just lifts up like a car hood for easy access. They should bring that back then swapping pads would be so much easier than dismantling the whole machine :)
By jpeg Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:29 am
THXjay wrote:I really love how the original 60's whole top just lifts up like a car hood for easy access. They should bring that back then swapping pads would be so much easier than dismantling the whole machine :)

sounds like a great idea; that would make the XL easily upgradeable; for example memory upgrades or pad upgrades or even analog filter chips or other such things
By Lampdog Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:02 pm
FOR SOON

…is my new default answer when dealing with time-based questions from people.

MINI LIVE.

MPC One sized pads, 16 qlinks (2 rows/columns of 8 maybe), a few mainly used dedicated buttons.

Look at yall wondering how I know this.

Slobbering and clawing over each other trying to get a crackhead fix..

..and even after it comes complaining and bitchin will still happen, so will bugs, so will fixes and updates, peeps secretly behind closed doors lovin their mpc’s but publicly whining.
By kja Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:52 pm
So with all these, seems the only logical thing to do would be to discontinue ALL current mpc's, bar the keys. If that happens, it seems like we are giving up everything the real live has for more portability and 4gb, the buttons/ form factor? Are you guys ok with that? I don't think I am.. I need atleast two midi outs, plus the extra outs are nice to have for sure.. I guess I would need to buy both the xl and the one mk2.. idk.. maybe thru will slot in between the current models and they won't discontinue them.. that is a ton of mpc's to keep going though. Is fun to speculate.