MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By 40Beatz Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:08 pm
I'd Get it
By Juxx Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:27 pm
its got 16 buttons above the Keyboard so you can program it like a TR-808 if you want.... for what Im pretty shure is a photoshop mock up its pretty well laid out and looks usable... except still no tilty screen
By hyena Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:01 am
NearTao wrote:As an old MPC-Head... I am 95% on board with the new MPC line. Sure, there are a handful of workflow gripes, analog distortion is more fun than digital clipping, older MPCs were more maintainable (until the part supplies became an issue), and yeah they were simpler... but I think a lot of people are looking at the older MPC with some rosey glasses, because let's face it, they were not perfect either.

People like to complain about the 2gb memory limit on the new MPCs, but I don't think these people have any idea how hard it is to make a track with less than 1mb of memory... heck let's be generous, make a track with 32mb of memory. It requires a different way to think and approach samples and sampling when your memory is a limited resource. I suspect a lot of people are just comfortable loading whatever they want, or letting their DAW of choice manage it for them. It's fine if that is your way, but disk streaming doesn't really fix this problem, it just moves the goal post.

The interface on the new MPCs gets a lot of flack as well, especially the touch screen. And yeah, a fair amount of it is deserved... but there is no way that the interface on older MPCs is better, I'll grant anybody that it is frequently simpler or different, heck I *might* believe somebody could argue for some parts being more efficient... but objectively better... mmmm not so sure. Have you ever tried working on a sample with a number pad, or only having a single dial to enter pretty much all data for a sample? It's not terribly fun, and while I still do it on my older gear here from time to time... I'd much rather let the older gear do "what it is better at" which is subjective tonal shaping, and use the new MPC to quickly sample and further manipulate and process the sound. Heck the MPC X has a really well laid out 16 q-links... which for me at least, takes editing samples to a whole new level.

A lot of people get hung up on the "sound" of the older MPCs, and while there are tonal characteristics that come into play, the MPC sounds that most people "know and love" went through a ton of off board gear, much of which added just as much, if not more tone and character to the MPC, as the MPC added. Although it's certainly a fun exercise to hook up an MPC to a huge array of filter banks, compressors, equalizers, and mixing consoles... again, this is for me... I'd much rather have a lot of this moved "in the box" as was done with the new MPC line. Heck I can toss an MPC Live in my backpack and do nearly full production work on a track... I cannot get to this level with older MPCs. They are neither as portable, nor as fully featured.

Many of the older MPCs had little or no effects, so you were usually forced to record the samples treated coming in, treat them on the way out, or go through a lot of resampling hassle to get the sound where you wanted it. Resampling on the older MPCs is *not* like it is in DAWs where it is fast and efficient, allowing you to print sounds off really quickly to cycle through and iterate. No, you have to iterate, decide which things you like and to keep, and which ones to delete so you can make sure you have more room in memory. And it was *so* easy to delete the wrong sample...

Loading and saving on older MPCs was even a hassle. A floppy disk is *not* a good storage medium. They degrade fairly quickly (compared to flash media at least), are slow as dirt, and the drives themselves can break in strange and fun ways. I am very glad to only have a handful of floppies left for some of my devices. You'd think that the Gotek or similar drives might help modernize these older samplers... and they do a tiny bit... but the bus speeds of this older gear can only go so fast... so you're still stuck with *very* slow read/write cycles.

Regardless... I'll still stand by my opinion that the new MPC line has more than enough pros to them that they are likely the better choice for most people. Feel free to want the older MPCs, but just make sure you know what you're getting into. If you're comparing a modern MPC to a DAW and not liking what you'll see, you're going to be in for a rude awakening when you drop a couple $$$ on an MPC 60 or MPC 3000. They are great devices sure, but they are not easy, and are so far removed from a DAW like experience that I'm not sure how many people could stick with it.

totally agree with this. there's only a couple of things that really bother me in this new line of mpc's, in particular i cannot understand why they didn't learn all the free lessons jj imparted when turning the 1k\2.5k from nice usable instruments into crazy deep killer machines...(i mean: great next seq options for live performance, great sustain loop features for keygroups, incredibly good grid edit if you think how small those screens are...) how old is jjos2xl now? 15 years? more? plus some weird stuff like the disappearance of easy time signature setup per sequence, the impossibility to step record with sequencer stopped etc...
but those minor lacks aside, i think mpc's now are fully functional, incredible standalone machines with which, with some clever programming, editing and mixing, you can produce a full album without going out of the box.
as noted by many people, the nostalgia perhaps has something to do with perception, working with current mpc's is an experience more akin to ipad apps than to the mpc60--->mpc2.5k, it just "feels" different, and i must admit i sometimes miss the samurai aura of older models, the monochrome screen, having to push the "window" button to discover hidden options, building muscle memory instead of relying so much on visual information all the time...
but if we talk sound, well, i get it if we talk mpc60's, i get it if we talk mpc3k, i understand it less if we talk 2000--->5000 range... of course each iteration sounded a bit different but they didn't impart any great colour to the signal imho... they all sounded very good to my ear tho, i always noted that i needed less effort to mix and process drums and other sounds if i did it on the mpc compared to doing it in daws. i used a lot the mpc1000 and 2500 for live performances and i clearly remember when playing after people with laptops usually my sound was bigger, not better per se, but somehow bigger. i don't know if this is still true with current mpc's. it seems to me that the internal audio interface of the live mk1 i have sounds pretty good and is even very forgiving if you seldom clip its inputs or outputs.
to conclude... i think overall they are doing a good job, but from time to time i'm tempted to buy back a jjos2xl equipped machine...go back to a more raw approach...but i'm afraid i'm spoiled now with all the nice virtual effects and synths we have....
By kday Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:38 pm
jpeg wrote:dunno why they dont have grey knobs

Gray is a much better color match with the rest of the gray buttons. But it could be just a beta tester unit only, the production models could possibly have grey knobs. They sometimes give you beta test equipment which looks different from production units to identify them as beta test units, when it's not yet ready for final production.

They once gave me a MPC 3500 as a beta testing unit, as it was originally scheduled to come out as the MPC 3500, and then at the last minute Akai decided to change the model name from the 3500 to the MPC 5000, and claim they had the them change the number on the display, because they said they feared MPC buyers would think it was an inferior unit to the MPC 4000 because of the lower number, and discourage potential buyers.
By Planemo Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:30 pm
NearTao wrote:People like to complain about the 2gb memory limit on the new MPCs, but I don't think these people have any idea how hard it is to make a track with less than 1mb of memory...

True! In 1990 my Akai S950 had 2.25Mb which I think was the max expansion possible (750Mb standard I believe). Sampling time was incredibly precious - every single individual drum hit had to be trimmed to the absolute max, and having say a 3 sec vocal sample had to be hugely justified. Of course I could help fill out a song using some M1 keys over midi (using Atari ST/Cubase) but it was a huge deal to try and concoct a non-repetitive 5 min song from mostly samples. I guess some would say it took a different level of construction (the amount of grid work with say 16 tracks, each having individual hits placed) was immense. I enjoyed it in a way and it could help make a lot of songs pretty unique but by toutatis it was hard work.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I feel incredibly spoilt with even a lowly MPC One!
By Lampdog Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:10 am
Planemo wrote:
NearTao wrote:People like to complain about the 2gb memory limit on the new MPCs, but I don't think these people have any idea how hard it is to make a track with less than 1mb of memory...

True! In 1990 my Akai S950 had 2.25Mb which I think was the max expansion possible (750Mb standard I believe). Sampling time was incredibly precious - every single individual drum hit had to be trimmed to the absolute max, and having say a 3 sec vocal sample had to be hugely justified.

I’ve made multi floppy ASR-10 complete songs (w/ vocals) using ONLY 16mb. People are spoiled with expecting/confusing mpc’s to be expert machines in everything. Modern mpc’s give a few options outside the mpc world, those limited options have some good things going. I recognize it.
How many times have I sampled a bass note in ASR-10, too much memory used, lowered the bit rate to 6khz, single, double, triple cycle loop I can’t even count. Some mofos have NO clue how awesome 2gb ram is to have these last few decades.

(Still have 30pin ram spare sticks)
By Planemo Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:40 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:and and the bytes are not the same thing as file sizes on disk.

With the greatest respect I think that is splitting hairs somewhat. Theres simply no denying that when people were constructing entire songs with between 1~2Mb of memory, 2Gb opens the goalposts a little.

I'm not saying for a minute that you can ever have too much though! And it's certainly more tedious and slows down workflow if you are struggling with available memory. Thankfully I've not reached that point yet with my One, but then I accept I'm probably not pushing it nearly as hard as some do so I can appreciate those that have issues with memory.
By HouseWithoutMouse Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:05 pm
Well people are not constructing songs from samples at all. They're trying to load full multitrack stem sets (see other threads) and use the huge multisampled libraries that are being marketed down their throats by the same company who doesn't give them disk streaming to be able to realistically cope with the libraries.

How is it relevant that different tools in a different time had different amounts of memory, and people used them differently than the things they have now.