MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Monotremata Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:13 pm
mrriot wrote:weirdly i got a second 2.11.7 update message from my mpc one directly and after installing it, the user favorites are back :)

Yeah if you look at the URL its coming from, the folder now has 'hotfix' in the name heh. Grabbing it now but I'll still be on 2.10 until they day they let us turn off Pad Perform again.
By MPC_Maschinist Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:54 pm
I've got a second "2.11.7" update online some days ago, too.
Albeit beeing happy that this one is a further bugfix (thanks for the info to Monotremata!) I don't like these silent updates. Version number 2.11.71 including a small changelog had been appreciated!
By Lampdog Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:30 pm
Monotremata wrote:
mrriot wrote:weirdly i got a second 2.11.7 update message from my mpc one directly and after installing it, the user favorites are back :)

Yeah if you look at the URL its coming from, the folder now has 'hotfix' in the name heh. Grabbing it now but I'll still be on 2.10 until they day they let us turn off Pad Perform again.

Always look at the links when your mouse hovers.
By mrmarbury Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:37 pm
I personally (also from a lead dev standpoint) do not feel that the flakey OS has much to do with the older hardware. Sure the hardware might be too old to run some features. Usability should degrade over time with the amount of tracks/plugins/etc loaded for a project and not with each update where one fix kills another. It's totally normal to introduce bugs while programming and also that some might slip through and get released. And also the devs knowledge and experience changes with time. Usually good tests and regular maintenance account for some kind of a stable product where at least the old features continue to work. IMHO maintenance work should account for 20-30% of daily dev work. If you skip your maintenance out of laziness or some business buffoon making you skip it, then whenever you come across some code where you know it needs some reworking done you have to work with that code smell and work around it. With this you introduce more smells and make the current codes maintainability even worse. With bad tests or not enough tests you then won't even notice that something is going awry. I had a huge fight with some business buffoon just yesterday about the same topic where I had to defend my team. The business guy just won't understand that maintenance is a totally separate track that will take at least 20% of daily time. And no it cannot be scrapped in any way because this is how software development should work to keep the quality. And, equally bad, that a business guy who has no knowledge of our code can not tell us which maintenance we can or can't do or which is more important than the other.
I feel that at InMusic the situation is similar: sales wants features and the devs need to tackle maintenance as well but there is no lead dev to defend its crowd. The worst head-of(f)s that I have witnessed are those that say "yes my master how deep shall I bend for you" and just forward all pressure to their team when they should shield their team so people can actually get their work done.
But let's say HW is the main problem and the software is a pristine bug free wonderland then I would also expect the HW and SW guys to take a stand and call it as often as needed until business finally wakes up.

just my 2ct
By DeaDeus Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:41 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Sshhh, super secret hotfix. Must not actually tell anyone about it, especially those whose MPCs are not connected to the internet. Makes complete sense...

Funny, as you mention it - my MPCX was not able to do the 2.11.7 online update back in Dec.
A couple of weeks ago the MPCX mentioned that there is an update to 2.11.7 (update was done manually by me in Dec). Me as a perfect servant did the MPCX update. I thought, OK now it knows I did it....

EDIT: ...wow - I have downloaded the Jan23 file, and I was interested whether the MPCX will tell me "done so before"
--- The .img files are NOT found anymore on the USB stick - not the current and not older versions.
---- Did they dare to cut off the USB update?????

Can somebody try it out - this would be a complete disaster. Not being able to revert back to a working operation system - if something goes wrong....like NOW
By UKUDO Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:55 pm
Monotremata wrote:

What's the deal with turning pad perform off? Why are so many asking for it?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:46 pm
Just updated my MPC One with the new January update (2.11.7.44), if I click 'usb update' it detects the old 2.11.6 update image and asks if I want to downgrade. So seems to be fine here.

DeaDeus wrote:EDIT: ...wow - I have downloaded the Jan23 file, and I was interested whether the MPCX will tell me "done so before"
--- The .img files are NOT found anymore on the USB stick - not the current and not older versions.
---- Did they dare to cut off the USB update?????

Can somebody try it out - this would be a complete disaster. Not being able to revert back to a working operation system - if something goes wrong....like NOW
By DeaDeus Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:30 pm
THank you Tutor...now I need to find out why it does not work anymore (done it for years manually).
I have resetted the settings of the MPCX of course.... great :-(
By Monotremata Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:40 am
UKUDO wrote:What's the deal with turning pad perform off? Why are so many asking for it?

Simple. It's annoying and it used to be optional. Not everyone wants their pads lit up all the time showing us some scale to play. Even 'Custom' mode, all pads are all lit up all the time. No more pad colors, no more velocity indicators. Im not even sure what the point of the "custom" mode is other than to make a lightshow. The pads used to provide visual feedback for some of us for multiple reasons, and now it's completely **** because the option to turn it off has been removed.
By bitermc Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:16 am
I assume nobody knows which bugs are supposed to be fixed in this release, right?

I'm done with Inmusic's obscurantism, anyway...
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:55 am
bitermc wrote:I assume nobody knows which bugs are supposed to be fixed in this release, right?

I'm done with Inmusic's obscurantism, anyway...

Nothing added to the release notes page, but there was no mpc software update and the user preset issue was only affecting standalone mode. So have to assume it was purely a hotfix for that one issue.
By MPC_Maschinist Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:47 am
Hi, Does somebody know whether there is still that MIDI learn bug that fills the internal drive with lots of *.xmm files?
I'd like to use my Faderfox EC4, e.g. as a Q-Link 16 knob alternative, without bricking my MPC Live II. :?
By Elijah Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:23 pm
MPC_Maschinist wrote:Hi, Does somebody know whether there is still that MIDI learn bug that fills the internal drive with lots of *.xmm files?
I'd like to use my Faderfox EC4, e.g. as a Q-Link 16 knob alternative, without bricking my MPC Live II. :?
I don't know if the bug has been fixed, but you can easily fix that problem via SSH.