MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By SuperKonquer Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:15 pm
Just to be sure, are you in update mode when you are using the USB? I don't think the update file is visible in the standalone browser and will only autorun when you put the MPCX into update mode.
By mrmarbury Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:17 pm
MPC updates make me worry more and more about Akai and InMusic's future. At least I stopped recommending MPCs while still loving them as a tool. But these update stunts get worse and worse.
By UKUDO Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:39 pm
Monotremata wrote:
UKUDO wrote:What's the deal with turning pad perform off? Why are so many asking for it?

Simple. It's annoying and it used to be optional. Not everyone wants their pads lit up all the time showing us some scale to play. Even 'Custom' mode, all pads are all lit up all the time. No more pad colors, no more velocity indicators. Im not even sure what the point of the "custom" mode is other than to make a lightshow. The pads used to provide visual feedback for some of us for multiple reasons, and now it's completely **** because the option to turn it off has been removed.

Ah, okay. Was wondering as in some chapters of the bible it is mentioned to turn it off.
By DeaDeus Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:06 pm
SuperKonquer wrote:Just to be sure, are you in update mode when you are using the USB? I don't think the update file is visible in the standalone browser and will only autorun when you put the MPCX into update mode.

Update Mode is important for updating via computer - the software (e.g. MPC 2.11.7 Updater - Win.exe) will tell you to do so.
USB update (up until recently) just needs a USB stick with the .img-file (e.g. MPC-2.11.7 -Update.img) on it.

To be honest, I never checked before whether the Browser can see the file or not....

EDIT: I rolled back to version 2.0.3 and stepped forward until 2.10. This was the first time with the option USB Drive Update...
- Just updating to 2.11.7.44 (only available via network for me now - software is 2.11.7.39)
- The option seems to be gone for me....
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:29 pm
UKUDO wrote:Ah, okay. Was wondering as in some chapters of the bible it is mentioned to turn it off.

That's probably a reference I should have removed as it's no longer possible to turn off pad perform. I'll try to find it and get it updated, 'custom' is about the closest you can get to 'off' these days.
By SuperKonquer Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:52 pm
Oh right. I thought it used to be you had to hit shift then the update button. I've gotten used to the online wifi update for a while now. Although the last update I did was with a sd card as online update wasn't working for me either.
Now that I think about it, I couldn't initially update with a usb stick and just went straight to an sd card. I didn't really go through any troubleshooting because I had sd cards right next to my MPC so I can't confirm or deny that USB update isn't functional. Did you try a new drive and or reformatting the drive? Did you try an sd card?
By Monotremata Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:10 pm
UKUDO wrote:Ah, okay. Was wondering as in some chapters of the bible it is mentioned to turn it off.

LOL No worries Tutor is on that one. :lol:

Yeah basically when 2.11 came out, that option labeled 'Custom' used to be 'OFF'. I even tried editing a couple XPM files and trying out different values for Pad Perform but nothing will turn it off now.

IIRC didnt Pad Perform also used to be on a per program basis?? Like each program could have different setups? Seems like Pad Perform now is global, one setting applies across the whole project and every track now.
By DeaDeus Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:48 am
SuperKonquer wrote:Oh right. I thought it used to be you had to hit shift then the update button. I've gotten used to the online wifi update for a while now. Although the last update I did was with a sd card as online update wasn't working for me either.
Now that I think about it, I couldn't initially update with a usb stick and just went straight to an sd card. I didn't really go through any troubleshooting because I had sd cards right next to my MPC so I can't confirm or deny that USB update isn't functional. Did you try a new drive and or reformatting the drive? Did you try an sd card?

Don't mention the SD-card slot - it broke about a year after purchase :-( - I could have gone to my reseller, but at the time I had a project and I could not wait for the MPCX to come back...
One of the lessons I learnt was to put short USB extensions in the two USB ports. So, changing sticks would not destroy the MPCX ports. I tried of course a direct insertion of the sticks....
But yes, I did format another stick and tried it.

Edit:
Event though I went through all versions since 2.03 and did not miss 2.2 it says here that it would be possible to do a USB drive update:
https://www.akaipro.com/knowledgebase_c ... re-update/
I was sure I did it earlier than 2.10 but I could not find the option yesterday when I rolled back.