MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Mr Shadow Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:53 am
Hello All,

I have tried to search for the answer, but no luck.

After writing sequences is there a way to rearrange the order that the sequences appear?

Thanks in advance.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:08 am
It’s not a feature/option.
By Mr Shadow Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:27 am
Thanks for the replies.
I am sure this is something that could be easily implemented in a future firmware release?
By Telefunky Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:57 am
Definitely not easy peasy :wink:
As Lampdog mentioned in the other „2023 rearrange thread“ there are 99 sequences, which you may consider as a fixed structure on which the software operates.
By mpc_fan_2022 Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:25 pm
Mr Shadow wrote:Thanks for the replies.
I am sure this is something that could be easily implemented in a future firmware release?

If it were that easy, then why isn't it being implemented? Just because it's a no brainer to you doesn't mean it's "easy to implement".

At that point it feels like the MPC OS code base is saddled with technical debt, and no change is easy. AKAI can't even implement track re-ordering at first place, but it should be "easy" right?...
By jamos Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:44 am
Rearrangement of the sequences, tracks, and effects should be trivial with well-written code.
By MPC_Maschinist Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:30 am
Regrettably I don't know any groovebox where the smallest change can/will be quickly and easily implemented. Might be due to old code or a lack of experienced devs knowing that code. :(
By Monotremata Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:56 pm
MPC_Maschinist wrote:Regrettably I don't know any groovebox where the smallest change can/will be quickly and easily implemented. Might be due to old code or a lack of experienced devs knowing that code. :(

When people were asking for a 1:1 track layout between sequences (like the Force can do), the project manager himself said the sequencer would need a complete rewrite from the ground up because that's not the way it was implemented from the start.

Everybody forgets what a shitshow the MPC was when it first released. The software was NOTHING like it is today. Their demo at NAMM was a preview version running on Windows, which was ported/rewritten before its actual release. More than likely the suits behind InMusic forced the team to half ass things and rush out the initial versions and from there on out they are literally just tacking things on top of that base making things more convoluted each time they add something.
By mpc_fan_2022 Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:52 pm
Everybody forgets what a shitshow the MPC was when it first released. The software was NOTHING like it is today. Their demo at NAMM was a preview version running on Windows, which was ported/rewritten before its actual release. More than likely the suits behind InMusic forced the team to half ass things and rush out the initial versions and from there on out they are literally just tacking things on top of that base making things more convoluted each time they add something.

As I said before, the "trash codebase" is only half of the problem IMHO.

If AKAI didn't have to maintain PC and MacOS versions, then their engineers could focus on improving standalone.

The Force OS is moving much quicker despite being younger BECAUSE Akai doesn't have to maintain a Windows Force Software or a MacOS Force Software. Let it be reminded than the Force HAS track re-ordering and submix/master track effect automation, while the MPC OS does not.

Isn't it Ironic that MPC Software is allegedly a DAW, yet the Force OS is closer to what an actual DAW does? Because all the limitations of MPC Standalone are also present in MPC Software on computer.

What other DAW on the market doesn't allow track re-ordering AGAIN? Cubase or Logic could do such thing since day one in the 90's.

No amount of free MPC Beats will make people use the software if it's incapable of doing the most basic things a DAW is expected to do. And let's be honest, MPC Software UI is maddening.

So AKAI/InMusic need to rethink their strategy a bit...
By HouseWithoutMouse Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:29 pm
Cubase SX used to have a track reordering limitation in version 2 or something. IIRC, they added automatic plugin delay compensation, and it seemed like the data structures for the plugin routing graph were based on indices in an object array, and this limited signal routing based on the creation order of tracks. You could move a track visually, but you couldn't route from it to tracks created before it.