MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Byanon1969382 Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:44 pm
Hello all,

I just bought an MPC Live II and I'm trying to connect it to my SSL 2+ audio interface. Everything works fine if I plug the audio interface on USB port 2. But, if I plugin it on USB port 1, then the audio interface keeps resetting indefinitely, as if the USB port can't supply enough power or something like that.

I tried to insert an USB stick on port 1 and everything works fine. So I was wondering if this is a defect or not.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks! :-D
Byanon1969382 Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:02 pm
Gearwacz wrote:Sounds like a defect, both ports should perform identically. Is the audio interface the only USB device plugged in?

Hi @Gearwacz,

Yes. It's the only device plugged in.
But, if I try to plug in any other device to USB port 1, they work fine.
I've tried to connect an Arturia KeyLab 61 and a Behringer RD-8 and they work flawlessly, although the RD-8 is not powered via USB.
Byanon1969382 Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:12 pm
Also, I just tested with a different audio interface (a generic one, I can't find the brand on the box) and it gets powered constantly. Weird behavior...

On the other hand, if I plug a USB Hub on Port 1 OR Port 2 and then plug in the SSL 2+ to the USB Hub, the same problematic behavior is displayed. The lights on the audio interface keep blinking, powering on and off...
By EnochLight Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:59 pm
Marcelo Brisolla wrote:Hello all,

I just bought an MPC Live II and I'm trying to connect it to my SSL 2+ audio interface. Everything works fine if I plug the audio interface on USB port 2. But, if I plugin it on USB port 1, then the audio interface keeps resetting indefinitely, as if the USB port can't supply enough power or something like that.

I tried to insert an USB stick on port 1 and everything works fine. So I was wondering if this is a defect or not.

The SSL 2+ is not USB Class Compliant - it requires ASIO drivers (on Windows). On Mac, it is Class-Compliant, but that means it's not fully implemented. MPC/Force requires the audio interface to be fully USB Class Compliant, operate at 44.1 Khz, and even then there are many interfaces that just won't play with Akai's USB Class Compliance implementation (which is allegedly Linux-based). Are you saying when you plug your SSL 2+ into port 2, it works fine? Like all features? If so, then perhaps it has "unofficial" limited USB Class Compliance support that is undocumented? :hmmm:
By Lampdog Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:03 pm
Does the usb hub 3.0 have its own power source?
Does the SSL+ have its own power source?

They need their own power source.
By Monotremata Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:49 pm
EnochLight wrote:
The SSL 2+ is not USB Class Compliant - it requires ASIO drivers (on Windows). On Mac, it is Class-Compliant, but that means it's not fully implemented. MPC/Force requires the audio interface to be fully USB Class Compliant, operate at 44.1 Khz, and even then there are many interfaces that just won't play with Akai's USB Class Compliance implementation (which is allegedly Linux-based). Are you saying when you plug your SSL 2+ into port 2, it works fine? Like all features? If so, then perhaps it has "unofficial" limited USB Class Compliance support that is undocumented? :hmmm:

That's the part I dont get. If its 'class compliant' on MacOS only, I think that means it works specifically with Apple's generic CoreAudio driver, doesn't necessarily mean its 'class compliant'. It should work with a base USB Audio driver that comes from the USB spec itself if it were truly 'class compliant'. We make touch screens that ARE class compliant on both, on Windows they use the generic HID Touch Device drivers from the USB spec, same on MacOS. Only catch is on MacOS you only get a single point of touch unless you install some third party drivers we contracted from Touch Base.
Byanon1969382 Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:15 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Marcelo Brisolla wrote:Hello all,

Yes, everything is working fine with the SSL2+. The only features I haven't tested yet are: MIDI OUT and RCA OUT. Everything else works fine. Seems to be a power supply issue. If I plug a USB Hub directly to the MPC Port 1 OR Port 2 and connect the SSL2+ to this hub, the same issue occurs. BUT, if I plug-in the power cable of the USB Hub (it works with or without the power cable), then it starts working. For some reason USB port 1 is not supplying enough power to the SSL2+.
Last edited by anon1969382 on Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Byanon1969382 Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:20 pm
Lampdog wrote:Does the usb hub 3.0 have its own power source?
Does the SSL+ have its own power source?

They need their own power source.

Hey Lampdog,

The USB Hub has its own power source but the SSL2+ doesn't, it is powered directly via USB.

I've made the following tests:

[*]Connect USB Hub - WITHOUT the power cable - to the MPC (Ports 1 OR 2) and connect the SSL2+ to the USB Hub
RESULT: SSL2+ keeps restarting

[*]Connect USB Hub - WITH the power cable - to the MPC (Ports 1 OR 2) and connect the SSL2+ to the USB Hub
RESULT: SSL2+ works correctly
By Lampdog Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:13 pm
The manual clearly states to use a powered hub.
Not enough usb power for several usb devices is the problem.

I’d just leave the powered attached to hub, done..
Byanon1969382 Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:50 pm
Lampdog wrote:The manual clearly states to use a powered hub.
Not enough usb power for several usb devices is the problem.

I’d just leave the powered attached to hub, done..

Hello @Lampdog,

Yea, that would be a workaround, although it could be a problem when we think about portability.

It's good to have a workaround, and - of course - I can just use Port 2 to connect the SSL2+ and that would be even better, because it would eliminate the portability issue with the powered USB Hub. But I'd like to also understand if it is a defect or not the fact that USB Port 1 is sending less power than USB Port 2.

I've searched the manual, but all I could find was:

"Note: To use multiple USB MIDI devices with standalone MPC, we recommend using a high-quality, powered USB hub."

But this seems to be related to multi-MIDI control only, and not to overall power management.
By Lampdog Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:43 pm
It’s not a workaround, it’s normal.
Multiple devices use more power, this has nothing to do with multi-timbrality.
It’s a power issue. Your pulling too much power from usb.
Byanon1969382 Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:48 pm
Lampdog wrote:It’s not a workaround, it’s normal.
Multiple devices use more power, this has nothing to do with multi-timbrality.
It’s a power issue. Your pulling too much power from usb.

But then why does it work on USB Port 2 without any extra power, but doesn't work on USB Port 1?