MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By astral_Signal Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:54 am
Hi all,

I'm looking at jumping back into music production. Used to own a MPC 1000 for years which was fantastic and integrated perfectly into my system in terms of I/O connectivity. The 6 total assignable analogue outputs were utilised for every project, recording into Pro Tools via a 8x8 audio interface. Simple multi-tracking.

The MPC One I have been interested in since its release, as is reminds me a lot of the MPC 1000 aesthetically. It's lack of I/O however is disappointing, as I would like to multi-track out with the unit but it would take twice as long wth only two analogue outputs. My audio interface is not class compliant so I couldn't take advantage of this feature. I suppose the alternative is the Live 2, but there is a hefty increase in price for additional features that I don't really need.

So I guess my question is for people current utilising the MPC One for multi-track recording, are the two analogue outputs enough to work with? Are there any alternative methods to expanding I/O on the One? Any rumours of MPC TWO??
By robleighton22 Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:55 am
Yeah get a cheap audio IO or mixer and you've got way more than your MPC 1000. Have a model 12 and seems to work fine for me. Only got my MPC One the other day but coming from a Live 1 and a Force in the last, I like the form factor of the MPC One the most. The workflow is massively improved with the additional buttons and no loss with less physical outputs.
By NearTao Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:38 pm
Ignoring the USB audio interface details... the MPC One/Live/X have a crazy amount of effects, busses, etc... you have 4 fx per pad/program/send/master... so you've got a lot more space to mix/master and play with effects inside the box than the 1k's limit of 2fx. Plus similar to the limited "per pad" effects that the 1k with JJOS had, each pad also has another (albeit more limited) selection of slots that you can use that don't add much overhead to the overall MPC such as LPF/HPF/Crush/etc...

So while I get the concern about wanting to track out of the One... you can also consider if it is really necessary or not since you can do so much inside the MPC.
By hyena Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:29 pm
i suggest you just buy a second hand mpc live mk1, they are pretty cheap nowadays, and have all a live2 has except the integrated speakers, the cv\gate outputs and some other minor bonus. cpu power, ram and all other important features are absolutely identical.
By Lampdog Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:52 pm
NearTao wrote:....really necessary or not since you can do so much inside the MPC.

This is me all day er'y day. I can do everything inside the MPC, then again I'm not in the business of
selling or mastering so my needs aren't big at all anyway.
By cocosushi Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:22 pm
hyena wrote:i suggest you just buy a second hand mpc live mk1, they are pretty cheap nowadays, and have all a live2 has except the integrated speakers, the cv\gate outputs and some other minor bonus. cpu power, ram and all other important features are absolutely identical.

mpc live mk1 never had cv/gate outputs
By NearTao Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:52 am
cocosushi wrote:
hyena wrote:i suggest you just buy a second hand mpc live mk1, they are pretty cheap nowadays, and have all a live2 has except the integrated speakers, the cv\gate outputs and some other minor bonus. cpu power, ram and all other important features are absolutely identical.

mpc live mk1 never had cv/gate outputs

From what Hyena said... I believe he agrees with you.
By Lampdog Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:35 am
cocosushi wrote:mpc live mk1 never had cv/gate outputs

It was a separate sentence and I think you read it wrong.