MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By akimar Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:38 pm
Dear MPC-Forum,
I´m new to concept of the Akai-MPC and to this Forum – Hi!

Since I received my MPC-One last week I have a problem with it and can´t find out what´s going wrong, maybe someone of you have an idea. My research in this Forum, on Youtube and in the manual didn´t solve this problem, I´m shure it is a little thing but I´m getting crazy over this for almost 4 days now.

As I´m a guitarist and a bassist I just want to use the MPC as a drummachine for noise- and drumparts. So my maininteresst is to create my own drum-programes and midifiles. So far so good, almost everything is working fine, but!

When I upload my own midifiles (mostly created in Ableton) and import them to my MPC-One, the midi-notes are changing its position in relation to which drum-program i´m on.

Changing the position is not meaning changing the rythm, but changing as an example from Pad A1 to Pad A2 and from A3 to A9, etc. So the midinotes-instrumentsposition are changing.

This happens mostly (not all the time) when I switch between a selfmade drum-program and a factory-drum-program of the MPC.

To be specific: the midinotes-instrumentsposition are changing when I "just change the drumprogram" not the track or the sequence!

I always understand, that the midinotes (Sequence and Track) are independet to the drumprogram (drumkit), is this true or do I miss something?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:03 pm
Each pad in a drum program is assigned a midi note, this is the note mapping. This can be changed from the default mapping, but generally speaking there are two underlying mappings in most drum programs, chromatic starting on note 36 on pad a01, or classic mpc, which is a modified GM mapping. Assigning a kit with a different mapping will lead to your sequence getting messed up. You can change the kit mapping in main, program pencil, note mapping